X
Owner reviews

Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Owner reviews

CDTi SE 5dr

• Average MPG 48 mpg

As always there are mixed reviews about Vauxhall's on here. However, having moving over from a Golf to an Insignia has been a pleasantly good move. Whilst the looks may not be everyone's choice the cabin is excellent, rattle free and comes across as being much better quality than the original Insignia. The car is comfortable and relaxing and eats up the miles without fuss. The diesel engine is strong with superb fuel economy - achieving high 40's without any problem which is mainly town driving. For such a big car this is great and with the added bonus of zero tax. Overall very happy with the car

andrew spurr, S Yorks, January 5th 2015

CDTi [160] ecoFLEX SE Nav 5dr [Start Stop]

• Overall verdict 2/5
  • Average MPG 45 mpg

Got this car as a courtesy car while my Civic was in the body shop. Car is very heavy and underpowered for its size. The name EcoFlex is a give away, it should say gutless. Not sure why producers think we need auto hand brakes nowadays, after 30 years with a lever its odd to press a button. Inside the cabin its noisy and despite only having less than 1000 miles on the clock, the legends on one or two switches are wearing thin. Seating position is a little odd, the clutch action seems to have a little offset to it, the seats aren't that comfortable. Handling is typical Vauxhall, pretty predictable but its not confidence inspiring. Panel gaps are everywhere, reminds me of my Astra from 5 years ago The boot has a funny shape which has a big floor area but is eaten up by the thickness of the boot lid / lining and the angle of the boot lid so its not that practical. Certainly the Mondeo based Jag X type estate my wife drives seems roomier. The satnav is big and clear but a bit on the basic side. Styling is bland. Please give me back my quirky Civic soon...... There are so many better estates than this, the Accord, the Mondeo, Audi A4 etc etc. Just glad I didn't spend my money on this car

Duncan Spokes, February 3rd 2014

CDTi ecoFLEX Exclusiv 5dr

• Average MPG 41 mpg

Not sure if I have the right model description. but is the base model with 130 bhp oil burner. Vauxhalls trim levels and spec are very confusing! Had this for 2 weeks between company cars. Where do I begin? Average is the word that sums it all up. Drives ok..nothing special..Rides ok..nothing special..Handles ok..nothing special..and thats the thing with the Insignia, its not a bad car but does not excel in any area where many others in this class do ( Mondeo/Passat/Mazda 6)if you were given one as a company motorway mile cruncher it is fine but why anyone would choose as a private purchase I have no idea...The model I had is too low spec as well ( Manual rear windows in a car of this money?)..And if you have an option upgrade the stereo..the standard one on this is appalling. In conclusion..look elsewhere if you are a private buyer ( My tip..Mazda 6) but if your company has a fleet..you wont have a bad car..just an incredibly dull one..

Graham Curtis, dorset, January 28th 2014

CDTi Exclusiv 5dr

• Overall verdict 2/5
  • Average MPG 50 mpg

I have driven this car as a company vehicle for the past 3 years, covering over 143,000 miles. Good Points: Decent economy, composed on the motorway & at speed, only 2 reported faults over this time (power steering failure & noisy fan heater). Service at local Vauxhall dealership ok, but long waiting times on courtesy car (when services due). Bad Points: Numb steering, 130hp engine way underpowered for a car of this size (resulting in too much cog swapping & no confidence overtaking), brakes poor (with extremely short lifespan), uncomfortable to sit in (basic cloth seat), notchy transmission, poor ride. I'm appalled at the level of build quality in the cabin & some of the materials used are very cheap and hard. Panel gaps all over the place inside, and some areas (transmission tunnel & central armrest) feel very flimsy indeed. I had the choice after my 3 year lease was up for renewal of another of these or a Mondeo saloon/estate. After hardly any time spent thinking I opted for the Mondeo, and I'm glad I did. After 2 days of driving there is a marked difference in every area. The Mondeo wins hands down, and the level of equipment (Zetec Business Edition) puts the Insignia to shame. Would not recommend. From personal experience, if you can stretch your budget enough go for a 3/5 series BMW.

Tim Staples, West Yorks, November 18th 2013

T V6 4X4 Elite Nav 5dr Auto

• Average MPG 19 mpg

After my Mondeo was stolen and written off i was given this heap until my new car was delivered. As soon as it arrived in the car park i was appalled at how ugly it was and didn't even go out to collect the keys they were left at reception. I phoned finance to find out how long i would be stuck with this dreary car. I had an appointment 30 minutes later so had to drive it, and my opinion didn't change it was truly awful. The seats were nothing special the dash looked ok but on the move you press everything trying to find what you want. The nav is a joke (putting a scroll wheel in it doesn't make it an Audi). Despite the big engine it had, it didn't feel any quicker than the 2.0 ecoboost engine in the Mondeo and the handling wasn't even close to the Mondeo. The steering was numb and felt like it wasn't connected to the wheels and go near any corner at any kind of speed and it wobbled and pitched like hell. I took 3 people out in it the 2 adults in the back had to tilt there heads to sit upright and the one in the front said it was uncomfortable in the front too. This was without doubt the worst 4 weeks i've had and the worst car it has ever been my misfortune to drive, and i was so thankful when i gave it back. Thank god my car allowance increased and i now have my Audi S4. Although i would have another Mondeo in a heartbeat over that dull and dreary Insignia.

xavier desilva, manchester, September 23rd 2013

CDTi [160] ecoFLEX SE 5dr

• What it's like to drive 5/5
  • Average MPG 42 mpg

Great car, wonderful comfort, superb interior, fantastic handling & quiet diesel (latest mods) reliable. 9k and no problems whatsoever.

Michael Volans, Notts, April 5th 2013

CDTi SRi Nav 4dr

• Average MPG 50 mpg

Just got the 2.0 cdti sri nav and covered my first 250 miles. The car was replacing a 2008 Mondeo so an interesting comparison as I'm sure if your considering the Insignia your also considering a Mondeo. I would simply say that the What Car reviews are spot on with this model. Ride is good but firm, good cabin space and gadgets but more could have been done with the space. Rear view visibility is rubbish. I cover 24k a year on motorways out of my own pocket so price (very cheap @ Β£16.5k) warranty (100k) and economy (50 ish mpg) swung it for me. I have compromised some of the more refined alternatives such as Mondeo / Passat but its all down to individual choice.

kevin adair, perth, February 21st 2012

CDTi SRi Nav [160] 4dr

kevin adair, perth, February 21st 2012

T 16V SRi Nav 5dr

• Overall verdict 5/5
  • What it's like to drive 5/5
  • Average MPG 40 mpg

I am surprised that What Car's rating of Insignia Sports Tourer are so low. I recently purchased a new 1.4T SRi Nav with Heated Leather seats plus Tech Pack and 18" alloys etc. I am very impressed with the build quality, the quietness of engine and equipment. Also the dealer assistance in the purchase of this car. My previous cars were two SAAB 93 Vector Sport diesels and prior to that a Rover 75 diesel (All estates). Years ago I would never have considered a Vauxhall but this car has changed my impression. I wanted to get away from diesels with their DPFs and Dual Mass Flywheels and thus wanted an economical petrol now that I no longer do business type mileage. Official figures for this car are the same as my 93 diesel and so far consumptiuon is similar. Also when I think what I would have actually had to pay for an equivalent BMW, Audi or Merc it was also good value. It will be interesting what other readers think of this 1.4T engine. Too early to put in an average fuel consumption figure yet as only done 500 miles.

Mike Thompson, January 27th 2012

CDTi ecoFLEX Elite [160] 5dr

• Average MPG 45 mpg

Only had the car for a couple of days but first impressions are good. This is a company car and replaces my BMW 320d. Apparently the new update with stop/start and improved engine mountings makes for a smoother drive but I cant really compare as this is the only one I have driven. That said its quiet and smooth on the road. The Elite comes with every possible toy you can imagine and I added the Navi 900 (Voice control), bluetooth (can't understand why its not standard) and Infinity Sound upgrade. The cabin is fantastic and and very nice place to be. I think the car looks really good too in Waterworld blue with the standard 18inch allows. The EcoFlex gearbox is long but there is enough torque to ensure quick progress with minimum fuss. The steering is not as sharp as the BMW but what is.. I really wanted a comfortable cruiser this time round and think I have found it in the Insignia. Low CO2 is great for company car tax and hopefully I will be able to get over 50mpg but time will tell. Build quality seems good and the car feels really well put together. All in all a great package for the company car driver.

Luke Maxwell, January 8th 2012

CDTi Exclusiv [160] 5dr

• Average MPG 51 mpg

Having previously driven an Avensis and Mondeo in the last 3 years I have a good appreciation of the Insignia's key strengths and weaknesses. The engine I feel is a key strength of this car, the 158bhp make for easy driving and has I found driving a 128bhp Diesel Avensis the extra torque from a high powered oil burner actually make my driving more economical. The interior is nicely designed and so far is as good as the mondeo in quality , but the number of buttons is too much, they could take a lesson from Toyota here as the Avensis had the better made and more straight forward dashboard. I have found the refinement of the engine on par with the others I have driven and the gearbox is firm and easy to use. A big feature of this car for me is the space available, the boot is huge and well shaped, the interior is good for space, but the sloping roofline does make the rear a bit tight for ambience. Overall I like this car as in my top 3 I have driven over last 30 years for giving the driver a great driving package and running costs.

Paul Thienel, December 26th 2011

CDTi SRi Nav [160] 5dr

• Average MPG 41.4 mpg

Really like the car so far, only one problem I have encountered is a blind spot , I nearly had a bad prang because of it. The rear window is small and the frame which surrounds it is large and it limits the view. Going to get rear sensors fitted as a matter of urgency

Simon Orr, NOTTS, November 10th 2011

T 16V SE Nav 5dr

• Average MPG 28 mpg

I have owned this car for 18 months and wish I never bothered. In heavy rainfall the back doors leak,cruise control works intermittent, back brake discs badly scored dealership wants Β£350 for new pads and discs - Vauxhall knows there is a fault with the discs but won't admit it, they say wear and tear will not cover on warranted "good get out claws" I had that many recalls on this car that my dealership when I go in says "hi John" hows the family and would you like a cup of coffee as usual. My advise to you stay clear of this car spend a little extra and buy a German make like I will be doing in the next few weeks. P.S. they also have a problem with there clutch and flywheel and you guested it "wear and tear" sir Β£1400 to fix and not warranted. This car has only 40,000 miles on it.

JOHN ROUTLEDGE, northumerland, October 21st 2011

CDTi [160] SRi 5dr

• Quality 1/5
  • Average MPG 0 mpg

Had this car for a week as a courtesy car and can honestly say I can't understand why anyone would both buying it when they could have the Mondeo/Passat/Accord etc instead. Why do they bother badging it SRi when its basically an estate for hauling kids etc round in - its the least sporty vehicle I can think of so what's the point? All they've done is reduce the ride quality to near bone crunching levels and added nothing to the handling. Cars like this should be about comfort and be unobtrusive - not give the wife a migraine and make the kids want to throw up even on a short journey. The diesel sounds like a tractor as well - never driven something so unrefined at over Β£25k - and you don't even get decent economy - 40ish mpg on mixed driving when my Golf 2.0 TDi does over 50. Dash is plastic like something out of kinder egg. Agree with previous review that stereo is rubbish. Sorry but its total junk, not remotely cool or practical and I can't think of anything redeeming to say about it!

J Phillips-Powell, October 4th 2011

CDTi Exclusiv 5dr

• Average MPG 0 mpg

I changed from a Vectra to the Insignia. The car itself is a vast improvment over the Vectra and I would even say as good as the Omega. Cost of running is good,even around the city or town. Motorway driving is comfortable, no excessive noise in the cab, you cannot hear the diesel engine like some have mentioned it is quiet, and no wind noise. I've had my car for 6 months and would recomend them to anyone, may trade in for an Elite later this year or next year. I wont give five stars because its not an Aston Martin or Rolls Royce I'm driving, it is a practicable family and commuting car, but a good car.

Chris Todd, Merseyside, July 15th 2011

i 16V S 5dr

• Average MPG 35 mpg

The vauxhall insignia is a type of car when you want to be left alone and not excitement around you. It is a 70year old monk on wheels but the cabin is very quiet on motorways and is stable around bends. This engine the 1.8 petrol is, well I'm not knocking points of it but it is a tad under powered but nothing that will want you to be put off for a family car. There is more body than inside of the car which is very small and cosy but still feels a bit bland but nothing as bad compared to a basic vw golf.

Darren Sharrock, Lancs, May 10th 2011

i 16V Exclusiv 5dr

• Average MPG 35 mpg

I have been driving the Insignia as part of a mini lease while I wait for my new company car. When it first turned up on my drive I wanted to turn it back as I requested a Mondeo. In reality its not a bad car by any stretch but very underpowered. Most of my driving is of the 400 mile round trip variety a couple of times a week. Having previously had an Audi A3 Sportback Sport I have enjoyed the more forgiving nature of the ride. After a long drive I have not been in pain or tired. The cabin is a decent place to be although the central console can be a bit of trial. Downsides, the 1.8 petrol leaves a lot to be desired. From a standing start its fine if you work it. The problem hits home if you try to overtake or if you get stuck behind a couple of lorries overtaking. It just does not pick up pace at all and I have tried dropping gears. If its rolling its fine but if you want to overtake on a single carriageway and you value your life forget it. I have also found at Motorway speed the steering can be a bit vague. In many ways this is a better car than the Audi A3 in terms of praticality and ride. If it had the power of the 170 Diesel engine in the Audi it would be a more complete package.

dan littlewood, April 7th 2011

CDTi ecoFLEX Exclusiv Nav [160] 5dr

• Quality 1/5
  • Average MPG 36 mpg

I was driving on the M1 motroway heading out of Belfast Sunday past. Indicated to leave at the next junction when I lost power. The car would not go above 20mph no matter what gear I tried to use service immediately or something like that was displayed in dash?. This was a very frightening experience as the motorway was busy. When I pulled over onto the hard shoulder turned of the engine and restarted the fault disappeared. Goes into Vauxhall on Wednesday to see what problem is. Its only 11months old??

Brian Madden, Antrim, April 5th 2011

i 16V Exclusiv 5dr

• Average MPG 24 mpg

I've had this car 8 months now, and although I'm happy with the quality of the car the fuel consumption is shocking. I've never got more than 33mpg on a long motorway run and average 24mpg on the combined cycle. I've now sold the car, but I've got another one, just this time the 2.0cdti(160)exclusiv model, which is the car I should have got in the first place. So beware any potential buyers stay clear of this model.

simon minshull, March 26th 2011

i 16V SRi 5dr

• Average MPG 29 mpg

There are a lot of positive things about this car. It looks good, the interior feels very solid, there is plenty of space, it handles well. BUT the 1.8 petrol engine couldnt lick the skin off a rice pudding and to add insult to injury they put an SRi badge on it. SRi's are supposed to be sporty ! I would love to try a decent diesel version which have much better performance and achieve somewhat more than the 29mpg I am getting out of this. Nice car, but do not get this engine model. Slow and poor mpg.

Richard Johnson, West Yorks, March 15th 2011