CDTi SE 5dr

As always there are mixed reviews about Vauxhall's on here. However, having moving over from a Golf to an Insignia has been a pleasantly good move. Whilst the looks may not be everyone's choice the cabin is excellent, rattle free and comes across as being much better quality than the original Insignia. The car is comfortable and relaxing and eats up the miles without fuss. The diesel engine is strong with superb fuel economy - achieving high 40's without any problem which is mainly town driving. For such a big car this is great and with the added bonus of zero tax. Overall very happy with the car

andrew spurr, S Yorks, January 5th 2015

CDTi ecoFLEX Exclusiv 5dr

Not sure if I have the right model description. but is the base model with 130 bhp oil burner. Vauxhalls trim levels and spec are very confusing! Had this for 2 weeks between company cars. Where do I begin? Average is the word that sums it all up. Drives ok..nothing special..Rides ok..nothing special..Handles ok..nothing special..and thats the thing with the Insignia, its not a bad car but does not excel in any area where many others in this class do ( Mondeo/Passat/Mazda 6)if you were given one as a company motorway mile cruncher it is fine but why anyone would choose as a private purchase I have no idea...The model I had is too low spec as well ( Manual rear windows in a car of this money?)..And if you have an option upgrade the stereo..the standard one on this is appalling. In conclusion..look elsewhere if you are a private buyer ( My tip..Mazda 6) but if your company has a fleet..you wont have a bad car..just an incredibly dull one..

Graham Curtis, dorset, January 28th 2014

CDTi Exclusiv 5dr

I have driven this car as a company vehicle for the past 3 years, covering over 143,000 miles. Good Points: Decent economy, composed on the motorway & at speed, only 2 reported faults over this time (power steering failure & noisy fan heater). Service at local Vauxhall dealership ok, but long waiting times on courtesy car (when services due). Bad Points: Numb steering, 130hp engine way underpowered for a car of this size (resulting in too much cog swapping & no confidence overtaking), brakes poor (with extremely short lifespan), uncomfortable to sit in (basic cloth seat), notchy transmission, poor ride. I'm appalled at the level of build quality in the cabin & some of the materials used are very cheap and hard. Panel gaps all over the place inside, and some areas (transmission tunnel & central armrest) feel very flimsy indeed. I had the choice after my 3 year lease was up for renewal of another of these or a Mondeo saloon/estate. After hardly any time spent thinking I opted for the Mondeo, and I'm glad I did. After 2 days of driving there is a marked difference in every area. The Mondeo wins hands down, and the level of equipment (Zetec Business Edition) puts the Insignia to shame. Would not recommend. From personal experience, if you can stretch your budget enough go for a 3/5 series BMW.

Tim Staples, West Yorks, November 18th 2013

T V6 4X4 Elite Nav 5dr Auto

After my Mondeo was stolen and written off i was given this heap until my new car was delivered. As soon as it arrived in the car park i was appalled at how ugly it was and didn't even go out to collect the keys they were left at reception. I phoned finance to find out how long i would be stuck with this dreary car. I had an appointment 30 minutes later so had to drive it, and my opinion didn't change it was truly awful. The seats were nothing special the dash looked ok but on the move you press everything trying to find what you want. The nav is a joke (putting a scroll wheel in it doesn't make it an Audi). Despite the big engine it had, it didn't feel any quicker than the 2.0 ecoboost engine in the Mondeo and the handling wasn't even close to the Mondeo. The steering was numb and felt like it wasn't connected to the wheels and go near any corner at any kind of speed and it wobbled and pitched like hell. I took 3 people out in it the 2 adults in the back had to tilt there heads to sit upright and the one in the front said it was uncomfortable in the front too. This was without doubt the worst 4 weeks i've had and the worst car it has ever been my misfortune to drive, and i was so thankful when i gave it back. Thank god my car allowance increased and i now have my Audi S4. Although i would have another Mondeo in a heartbeat over that dull and dreary Insignia.

xavier desilva, manchester, September 23rd 2013

CDTi ecoFLEX Elite [160] 5dr

Only had the car for a couple of days but first impressions are good. This is a company car and replaces my BMW 320d. Apparently the new update with stop/start and improved engine mountings makes for a smoother drive but I cant really compare as this is the only one I have driven. That said its quiet and smooth on the road. The Elite comes with every possible toy you can imagine and I added the Navi 900 (Voice control), bluetooth (can't understand why its not standard) and Infinity Sound upgrade. The cabin is fantastic and and very nice place to be. I think the car looks really good too in Waterworld blue with the standard 18inch allows. The EcoFlex gearbox is long but there is enough torque to ensure quick progress with minimum fuss. The steering is not as sharp as the BMW but what is.. I really wanted a comfortable cruiser this time round and think I have found it in the Insignia. Low CO2 is great for company car tax and hopefully I will be able to get over 50mpg but time will tell. Build quality seems good and the car feels really well put together. All in all a great package for the company car driver.

Luke Maxwell, January 8th 2012

CDTi Exclusiv [160] 5dr

Having previously driven an Avensis and Mondeo in the last 3 years I have a good appreciation of the Insignia's key strengths and weaknesses. The engine I feel is a key strength of this car, the 158bhp make for easy driving and has I found driving a 128bhp Diesel Avensis the extra torque from a high powered oil burner actually make my driving more economical. The interior is nicely designed and so far is as good as the mondeo in quality , but the number of buttons is too much, they could take a lesson from Toyota here as the Avensis had the better made and more straight forward dashboard. I have found the refinement of the engine on par with the others I have driven and the gearbox is firm and easy to use. A big feature of this car for me is the space available, the boot is huge and well shaped, the interior is good for space, but the sloping roofline does make the rear a bit tight for ambience. Overall I like this car as in my top 3 I have driven over last 30 years for giving the driver a great driving package and running costs.

Paul Thienel, December 26th 2011

CDTi SRi Nav [160] 5dr

Really like the car so far, only one problem I have encountered is a blind spot , I nearly had a bad prang because of it. The rear window is small and the frame which surrounds it is large and it limits the view. Going to get rear sensors fitted as a matter of urgency

Simon Orr, NOTTS, November 10th 2011

T 16V SE Nav 5dr

I have owned this car for 18 months and wish I never bothered. In heavy rainfall the back doors leak,cruise control works intermittent, back brake discs badly scored dealership wants Β£350 for new pads and discs - Vauxhall knows there is a fault with the discs but won't admit it, they say wear and tear will not cover on warranted "good get out claws" I had that many recalls on this car that my dealership when I go in says "hi John" hows the family and would you like a cup of coffee as usual. My advise to you stay clear of this car spend a little extra and buy a German make like I will be doing in the next few weeks. P.S. they also have a problem with there clutch and flywheel and you guested it "wear and tear" sir Β£1400 to fix and not warranted. This car has only 40,000 miles on it.

JOHN ROUTLEDGE, northumerland, October 21st 2011

CDTi Exclusiv 5dr

I changed from a Vectra to the Insignia. The car itself is a vast improvment over the Vectra and I would even say as good as the Omega. Cost of running is good,even around the city or town. Motorway driving is comfortable, no excessive noise in the cab, you cannot hear the diesel engine like some have mentioned it is quiet, and no wind noise. I've had my car for 6 months and would recomend them to anyone, may trade in for an Elite later this year or next year. I wont give five stars because its not an Aston Martin or Rolls Royce I'm driving, it is a practicable family and commuting car, but a good car.

Chris Todd, Merseyside, July 15th 2011

i 16V S 5dr

The vauxhall insignia is a type of car when you want to be left alone and not excitement around you. It is a 70year old monk on wheels but the cabin is very quiet on motorways and is stable around bends. This engine the 1.8 petrol is, well I'm not knocking points of it but it is a tad under powered but nothing that will want you to be put off for a family car. There is more body than inside of the car which is very small and cosy but still feels a bit bland but nothing as bad compared to a basic vw golf.

Darren Sharrock, Lancs, May 10th 2011

i 16V Exclusiv 5dr

I have been driving the Insignia as part of a mini lease while I wait for my new company car. When it first turned up on my drive I wanted to turn it back as I requested a Mondeo. In reality its not a bad car by any stretch but very underpowered. Most of my driving is of the 400 mile round trip variety a couple of times a week. Having previously had an Audi A3 Sportback Sport I have enjoyed the more forgiving nature of the ride. After a long drive I have not been in pain or tired. The cabin is a decent place to be although the central console can be a bit of trial. Downsides, the 1.8 petrol leaves a lot to be desired. From a standing start its fine if you work it. The problem hits home if you try to overtake or if you get stuck behind a couple of lorries overtaking. It just does not pick up pace at all and I have tried dropping gears. If its rolling its fine but if you want to overtake on a single carriageway and you value your life forget it. I have also found at Motorway speed the steering can be a bit vague. In many ways this is a better car than the Audi A3 in terms of praticality and ride. If it had the power of the 170 Diesel engine in the Audi it would be a more complete package.

dan littlewood, April 7th 2011

CDTi ecoFLEX Exclusiv Nav [160] 5dr

I was driving on the M1 motroway heading out of Belfast Sunday past. Indicated to leave at the next junction when I lost power. The car would not go above 20mph no matter what gear I tried to use service immediately or something like that was displayed in dash?. This was a very frightening experience as the motorway was busy. When I pulled over onto the hard shoulder turned of the engine and restarted the fault disappeared. Goes into Vauxhall on Wednesday to see what problem is. Its only 11months old??

Brian Madden, Antrim, April 5th 2011

i 16V Exclusiv 5dr

I've had this car 8 months now, and although I'm happy with the quality of the car the fuel consumption is shocking. I've never got more than 33mpg on a long motorway run and average 24mpg on the combined cycle. I've now sold the car, but I've got another one, just this time the 2.0cdti(160)exclusiv model, which is the car I should have got in the first place. So beware any potential buyers stay clear of this model.

simon minshull, March 26th 2011

i 16V SRi 5dr

There are a lot of positive things about this car. It looks good, the interior feels very solid, there is plenty of space, it handles well. BUT the 1.8 petrol engine couldnt lick the skin off a rice pudding and to add insult to injury they put an SRi badge on it. SRi's are supposed to be sporty ! I would love to try a decent diesel version which have much better performance and achieve somewhat more than the 29mpg I am getting out of this. Nice car, but do not get this engine model. Slow and poor mpg.

Richard Johnson, West Yorks, March 15th 2011

T 16V SRi 5dr

I had the Insignia SRI Turbo on loan from my local dealership. I am so impressed with the car, I think that it is just fabulous. I have enjoyed every minute behind the wheel and was very disappointed to have to return it! It is really comfortable compared to my Vectra (which i can't wait to get rid of!) it handles like a dream and just looks fantastic from all angles. Its brilliant.

Mark Odell, Northamptonshire, January 19th 2009

CDTi SRi Nav [160] 5dr

Like the previous reviewer I have just ordered an Inignia, although in my case an Elite Nav Auto with the 160bhp diesel engine. My ratings are rather provisional at this stage, but will update in due course. The driving experience is very positive. The Insignia is very comfortable, even with 18 inch wheels and sports suspension. The manual gearbox is very positive and precise - much better than the notchy one fitted to the Vectra before it. Handling seems very safe and probably will prove to be fun when pushed too. The steering is another positive, as it seems pretty well weighted and communicative. Ownership costs for the diesel manual should be quite reasonable with around 48mpg combined official figure, which should translate to mid-40s day to day. Insurance is on a par with most of the opposition as are CO2 emissions. Not class leading, but reasonable. The interior is really well put together, and I look forward to getting to grips with the 'iDrive' a-like system. Controls are well laid out and feel decently put together. There is plenty of space inside, and access is pretty good. It may not be quite as spacious as say a Mondeo or a Superb, but its not far off. Unless you regularly carry three 6 foot plus rear seat passengers I can't see there being any real issues here. Overall very impressed, and highly recommended.

Fredrik Rich, West Yorkshire, January 16th 2009

CDTi Exclusiv Nav [160] 5dr

Just placed my order for a 160bhp diesel exclusive hatch with Nav, Plus pack and sensors. Had two test drives and enjoyed it both times. Did a mix of motorway and town driving. Handled both well. The car is amazing to look at, looks so stylish compared to the other euro boxes on the road. The car is well specced and got a good deal on purchase price and trade in. No economy figures yet. If all goes to plan delivery is for the 1st March for 09 reg.

Richard Jordan, Hampshire, January 11th 2009