Porsche 911 Coupe (01 - 06) Owner reviews

I have owned 4 Porsches to date and will be totally honest and say I love them. I have also owned just about every other sports coupe available, and really enjoy "spirited" driving... I have owned this 991 for only 1000 miles and so far have not had a single issue (not that you would expect any at this stage). For me it is the king of coupes, it has the handling you would want, the power to entertain (I have the 3.4 Carrera PDK with Sports Plus), and a style that few other manufacturers can match. On the road: The new 911 has exceptional road manners. I previously drove an AMG C63 Coupe, (which other than the outstanding engine, I hated). It terms of balance and feed back the 911 is in a class of its own, other than a Lotus, I'm not sure any other car can really match it. The new electric steering is very good (maybe a tiny bit less than the 997, but good enough for me), but the power from the new DFI 3.4 is as good as my 997S! Ownership: Running a modern Porsche is an interesting experience. Servicing every 2 years is excellent value and at nearly 30mpg (!!!), I can't believe how much performance you get for your money, it is even in the middle car tax bracket. In the cabin: Again a five star car, the build quality and materials used to build it are very special. I have the extended leather interior and everything is covered in leather, it is utterly glorious. Overall: A truly outstanding car that grows on you everytime you drive it, buy one, you

Tom Smith, Wiltshire, October 20th 2013

Ok let's state the obvious positives; blistering acceleration, exceptional handling and desirability. Now let me tell you about my experience. I bought this car on 1st March 2012 so have owned it for 15 months. I have found the build quality to be, for an Β£85000 car, dire. It has been back to the dealers for replacement to air conditioning pipes, a new solenoid on the petrol cap cover which meant I was 'locked out' of the petrol cap and couldn't refuel, parking brake warning light illuminating for no reason (4 times!), trip computer fault informing me I'm getting 2999 mpg (if only!) and rattles to the drivers door and under the dashboard. Porsche had it for 2 weeks and still couldn't repair the rattles! Prior to buying this car I had a number of BMWs and had no such build quality issues. Today I test drove a BMW 6 series Gran Coupe. Yes I know it's a completely different vehicle but what a relaxing, smooth and rattle free ride. You can take or leave my advice but if I could rewind the clock to February 2012 I'd be heading for the BMW dealer not Porsche.

Gary Wynn, June 15th 2013

Have owned my 2005 997 C2S for just over a year now and I still can't stop smiling every time I drive it. Acceleration and grip are phenomenal yet it is also a car you can easily drive at a leisurely pace. I've read that this version is more refined than it's predecessors but refinement is not a strong point. The car has the Bose sound system which is a bit of a waste of time (as is the SatNav!!), but with the fantastic noise you get from the switchable sports exhaust who cares. Running costs for a car of this type are pretty good - service intervals are 2 years/ 20000 miles and there are plenty of good independents if you don't like Porsche dealer prices. I average 23.5 mpg so no complaints there. Build quality is superb, car still feels near new at 8 years old. This is my first foray into Porsche ownership and I would definitely buy another.

Ron Macey, Kent, May 19th 2013

dr

I have owned Porsches for 25 years now. I've had quite a few. My current car is a 2008 997 Turbo Tiptronic. I had a 2004 996 Turbo Tip before this one. The 997 Turbo is the best car I have driven. Not just for speed etc, but for all reasons - it is an all round dream. It is used daily - I am driving 1k miles per month, with sitting in traffic for about half of that. I also drive it fairly 'actively' when I can. The twin turbos have variable vanes on the 997, so the boost comes in gradually from lower down, without much throttle. Love it. It is the perfect supercar for anyone who needs to do miles. Other hi-performance cars are in the workshops most of the time if you need to use them alot. The handling on this 4wd car is excellent, with goes without saying. It sticks like glue. I love my car, which says alot as I have owned so many 911s. Maybe the satnav screen could be better, or possibly a bluetooth phone system instead of SIM insert module would be more convenient (I have a different phone nbr for the car - was same set up in my 996 Turbo) - otherwise a perfect recommendation. Highly recommended.

Stuart Kinner, May 19th 2011

A couple of weeks ago I traded my 2007 manual 997 Targa 4 in for a ex-demo 997 Carerra S, the newer "facelift" model with the new PDK gearbox and a few more gadgets that the Targa. First the good bits - the cars interior is very well put together and the sportshift works really well, also there are none of the squeaks and rattles that I had with the Targa-4, the re-engineered power plant makes a much, much nicer noise and, as usual the handling is superb. Now the bad, when driving around town with the gearbox in full "automatic" mode the 'box won't change down to first when you come to a stop, the sat-nav keeps resetting itself, the stereo volume resets itself to the lowest possible setting and cannot be changed unless you stop and restart the engine, and as there is no rear hatch (unlike the Targa) the Carerra is no where near as useful as an everyday car. OK, I knew about the rear-hatch when I bought the car, so that one is down to me, but the other flaws and niggles are enough to really take the shine off this car. This is, in all probability, my last 911.

Jarrod Nash, January 9th 2009

dr

I have owned a 996, 3.6, for four years. Altough it is great to drive, I found this car much less reliable than I thought it was. This is a key issue as the first thing I expect from a car is to be able to reliably take me from A to B; and I am afraid it has failed this basic test a number of times, including while on holiday which is particularly irritating. Among others, the engine had to be replaced after 50,000 miles and the CD reader/ navigation system has repeatedly broken down. I have had to regularly go to the garage between servicing times to fix other things such as various oil leakages or a non working light switch. I have also found that Porsche is rather mean when a problem occurs shortly after the warranty expiration (which is itself a mean 2 years). In summary, it has certainly not lived up to my expecations. I have owned less prestigious german cars before, but none of them ever let me down as this Porsche has.

Gerard Delacroix, August 10th 2008

Having just stepped out of a Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera into a 997 Turbo, I am giving up on a overwhelming wedge of glorious noise but am gaining a stunningly engineered car that you can: park; transport passengers in comfort and slice through traffic without worrying that a cyclist is lurking behind your A pillar. Both are four wheel drive and will hit 60 in under four seconds. Both will grip like a limpit in all weather conditions. When the conditions are perfect, the Superleggera is nigh on unbeatable; for the other 95% of the time the Turbo is the only place to be!

Benedict Marsh, June 17th 2008

I owned the 911 (996) turbo for over 1 year as a second car. Absolutley an incredible car. Truely an everyday super car. My wife even drove it without any qualms. Performance is relentless and with out compromise - any gear the pick up can not be matched. Mine was the tiptronic and the acceleration was seemless and unrelenting. Interior was not the best but it is clear that the money was focussed on the engineering. 4 wheel drive made this an all weather performance car - and as a benefit lead to not to unreasonable tyre wear (note rear tyres are wider than fronts). Service costs were exceptional compared to any car with similar performance - and cheaper than any BMW/Mercedes etc that I have owned. As the performance is so easily accessable you really need to watch what you are doing - but note it is so tractable. I can not imagine having the same confidence in a Ferrari etc in traffic and also when starting it for a weekend blast.... It really gives you the confidence that even with it's performance capability it will never let you down. Got to say though that the dealers do vary.. Cambridge poor - Nottingham good - Exeter average

Eifion Evans, Lincs, March 31st 2008

I bought my Carrera S a couple of weeks ago but have already managed to do quite a few, very enjoyable miles. Having owned 5 other 911s, of which 4 were air-cooled, I'm amazed by the level of refinement that has been achieved with the 997. With the active suspension in normal mode (and the sports' exhaust not activated) it is an amazingly refined car and not that different from my daily drive (a BMW 530 xd). However, despite the refinement it is still an brilliant car to drive. The steering is now much lighter but is very accurate and gives great feedback and together with the typical, lively 911 handling it is a real joy to pilot. Compared to the series 1 GT3 I previously owned it is perhaps a little too refined but the benefits of two extra seats (so that my daughter can come too) and the much better interior and overall quality more than make up for it. Overall I couldn't recommend this car more highly.

Spencer Moore, March 26th 2008

dr

I have a 997 first registered in December 2006. This car goes like stuff off a shovel. Great fun but to my surprise not that much more fun to drive than my wifes MX5 which has more character. Steering is a overly twitchy. An 18KG weight in the luggage compartment seems optimum to fix that. The stability control system can be a bit worrying as it allows the car to get too sideways before intervening. It is the poorest build quality car that I have had in the last 15 years. Dodgy gear change even after a replacement gearbox, trim and window rattles, unpredictable oil consumption, and other annoying things. It is not a good car for long distances because the noise level from the engine and tyres and the hard ride make it tiring. It is not worth the very high price compared to a Boxster which does nearly everything a 911 does at a much more realistic cost.

Richard Snell, Bucks, October 28th 2007

After several years of luxury saloons (One great "old" shape BMW 7, one dreadful new shape 7 series and 2 excellent Jaguar XJ's) I decided to go for something a bit more fun. So I bought a four month old Targa 4. It's fantastic, doesn't have all the toys of the jags but the fun I get driving it more than makes up for it! Despite being told the Targa is a "soft" 911, I still think this is awesome, wickedly quick away from the lights and a fantastic engine note, especially with the sports exhaust option. Servicing is only going to cost Β£400 every two years and the insurance was no where near as expensive as I thought (use Porsche's own insurance, at least Β£1200 pounds cheaper than moneysupermarket quotes!). Buy one now - you won't regret it.

Jarrod Nash, October 19th 2007

I had a Carrera 4 for about a year and got rid of it. Don’t get me wrong, it is a fantastic car in many ways. It has great looks, is very reliable, fairly practical, has excellent performance and fantastic handling and feel. So why did I get rid of it? Well, driving the 911 is like playing the most exciting computer game you can imagine, but in God Mode, you know, where you have all of the weapons with unlimited ammo and health. You see, when in God mode you can still marvel at the game itself but there is no adrenalin because your character is completely safe and that’s the Carrera 4’s Achilles heal. When driving the car you never really feel that you are in full control because, however well or badly you drive, the electronic wizardry will ensure that everything is calm and controlled without you knowing that you have had anything to do with it. The only slight sign of imperfection is the occasional β€˜pendulum’ feeling from the back end as that large lump of metal, known as the engine, swings about. It’s not a pleasant driving sensation but you just know that nothing bad is ever going to happen. So at the end of the day if you are a keen driver, it’s a beautiful car without soul. Instead, try the standard Carrera 2 as it hasn’t got soo much software in the way of the driving experience. However if you are the type of driver who wants to pretend that you are Lewis Hamilton on speed then the Carrera 4 might just be what you’ve been looking for.

Dean Marshall, Hampshire, August 23rd 2007

I have had my 911 for 18 months from new and I love it. It looks great in white and gets loads of attention. It never fails to deliver and it makes everyday driving enjoyable - I take it to work most days and I go see clients in it. I can't imagine that I will buy anything other than a Porsche when I change it. It does not require a service until its second birthday and the running costs... well, it is worth it!

Phil Jones, August 14th 2007

The 996 C4S is an amazing car! Speed, handling all terrific, and on long journeys across Europe, there is nothing to beat it! Even got close to 30mpg at some points! and all without any back ache etc etc. The only problem I have had with this car is the radiators situated behind the air intakes on the front valance, with barely any protection from stone etc, both rads have had to be replaced due to holes. I have since fitted some after market fine mesh grills behind the openings, which has worked and not decracted from the air flow. 10/10 for this car!!! Plus it sounds fantastic!!!!

simon smith, May 17th 2007

dr

I've been a biker all my adult life and have always considered two wheels quicker than four. My missus has just bought a C4S and things are now not so simple. For pure acceleration and grunt, my 1050cc Triumph Sprint ST has the edge, and in traffic it's no contest. However, get on an open road with no-one about and, wow, this car is stunning. The power, the grip and ability to change direction are excellent, and it's so easy to drive. To keep up with it, you would have to take big risks or be Valentino Rossi. In the rain it would be no contest, as the four wheel drive and driver aids sort things out for you. It's a fantastically built machine and oozes quality and solidity. We borrowed a 996 a few years ago and this new incarnation is better in every aspect. As an everyday car, it's surprisingly easy to live with and I'm very impressed. So during the day I take the bike, but in the evenings and at the weekend it's going to be a difficult choice, and if the kids want to come, its got be the 911. Brilliant driving experience!

Robert Corr, Derbyshire, April 19th 2007

dr

i've owned several 911. The turbo is the one to have, mine is now 4 years old and recently went round all the high end garages to try out something different. looked at astons etc. in the end i signed up for another 911 turbo and decided to go by a cheap second hand 5 series estate for longer work journeys. Have not driven a more sure footed exciting car than the turbo. once you own one of these you'll have to find something else to save your money for because you'll have the ultimate driving experience.

colin wills, February 18th 2007

This car is awesome - I have owned over ten 911s, the last one being the 996TT. If you are in the market for a 997, you may be tempted to go for the 996TT - I couldn't make my mind up, but after six months in the 997, I can now say I have made the right choice, as I believe the 996 is now looking a little dated and has less to offer than the 997. In the last twelve months, I have owned an 05 Mercedes SL500, Bentley GT & Cayenne Turbo. I can honestly say I have had the most enjoyment out of the the 997. It returns good fuel economy - it gives between 16-21mpg. It only costs Β£800 per year to insure, and service costs are only around Β£300 every 20,000 miles. I'm looking forward to getting the 997TT.

carlos seton-smith, dorset, January 22nd 2007

dr

HAVE HAD 964 CAB, 996 COUPE. CHANGED A FEW YEARS AGO FOR FAMILY REASONS TO LUXERY SALOON AND TRIED VARIOUS SPORTS COUPES BUT NONE AS GOOD AS THE 997. SUPER, BRILLANT, FANTASTIC.

HARRY EROTOCRITOU, December 30th 2006

I bought my Carrera 2 after becoming disillusioned with my DB7 Vantage last winter (typical British GT not made for the British winter climate), and I'm so pleased I did. Just after I collected it from the dealer, I went on the 'Porsche test drive plus' to see what it could do on the track (they provide the car) and I was astonished by the incredible handling and braking ability. Pound for pound, there can't be a better all-round car available. I use it every day, for commuting and pleasure. It's just so entertaining to drive. A couple of months back my father asked me to drive his DB9 for a few days whilst he was away on holiday, and I seriously missed the 997. In comparison, the DB9 was shockingly boring, which I think sums it up.

Jonny Wild, Cheshire, May 26th 2006

absolutely superb, loved my 996 but this is way better. It obviously aint gonna be cheap but to run but its not mad and if u want good mpg slow down or get a diesel??

jason stribley, April 14th 2006