TDI CR Elegance 5dr

I bought this as a replacement for my Superb 2.0 Elegance and have to say it's a much poorer car in many ways. I expected a similar sort of performance (smaller car, smaller engine) but the 1.6 diesel is gutless and lack torque throughout the rev-range. It's also quite rattly at low speed. One of the most serous problems is the suspension which rattles and crashes over even the most minor road imperfections. One of the roads I drive on regularly is a concrete motorway with a lot of surface repairs. The ride on this is one of the worst, and noisiest, of any recent car I've driven. I drove a van on this road the other day and it was more comfortable than my car. The other main gripe I have with the car is the media/SatNav system. The interface is truly awful in so many ways it would take an age lifetime to describe. Options are scattered all around the system, some parts just plain don't work properly or make any sense, the SatNav POIs are hopelessly inaccurate and the whole thing is just a big bag of frustration. Also, why VAG persist with their ridiculous plugs for media devices is beyond me. Everybody else managed fine with USB, and it works just fine. Instead, we get a baffling array of expensive cables that add no value whatsoever. On the plus side, the build quality, inside and out, is excellent. The seats are comfortable; I recently drove 500 miles non-stop with our any discomfort, and that probably indicates that the fuel consumption is pretty good too (51mpg avg)

Ewen Bruce, January 8th 2015

TDI CR SE 5dr

I recently replaced my 2003 A4 Estate with this car, and I couldn't really be happier with my decision. Everything feels extremely well screwed together and built to last, and I don't think I'll have a problem running it for the next 10 years. Behind the wheel it feels very comfortable. You can get a nice low driving position which I prefer, and all the controls seem to be in just the right position. I do find the steering a bit too light at low speeds, but when it weights as you go faster it becomes much better. In the corners it is very sure footed and relatively level, much more so than my old A4, but there isn't a lot of feedback in the steering. The engine and 6 speed manual are a great combination. There is plenty of torque around throughout the revs, and you can really take off up slip roads when required. The car feels most at home eating up miles on a motorway where the comfortable seats and quiet cabin really come into their own. I highly recommend getting the optional cruise control on the SE trim though.

Andrew Moss, June 9th 2014

TSI SE 5dr

I was worried over the engine size, but any concerns have evaporated. I had a 1.6 Petrol Qashqai before this, the 1.2L Turbo Skoda engine is much smoother, faster and quieter. Only had it 2 weeks but on 2 long runs I got 48 mpg which isn't bad. I have gone for the DSG gearbox, and I'm really enjoying the car, hill hold control and parking assist make every manoeuvre easy.

Andy Christie, May 10th 2014

TDI CR Elegance 5dr

I have owned my 3 year old Octavia Estate since November 2013 having previously owned an Octavia Hatch 2.0 SE Elegance (140 bhp) I continue to be impressed with the overall quality of the Skoda. It is exactly like a VW, very well built, drives nicely, very spacious, comfortable, well equipped with the parking sensors, cruise control and decent sound system. It is also a very nice looking car in gun metal grey, it shows off the chrome well. On the slightly negative side, the 1.6 lacks the punch of the 2.0 which I guess is an obvious comment, but it offers reasonable performance. It cruises nicely on the motorway at 85mph all day without missing a beat but it does struggle on the hills a bit. The other gripe I have is the economy. The Skoda figures suggest 74mpg! I am lucky if I can get 50mpg ; quite a difference and this is careful non motorway driving. The 2.0 litre returned 58mpg. I am going to look into remapping the engine and my next car will definitely be a VRS!

John Down, Somerset, March 23rd 2014

TSI SE 5dr

This car really exceeded my expectations. I knew that the engine, gearbox, chassis, etc. are all made by Volkswagen and that they should be just as good and reliable in an Octavia as in a Golf. I knew that the Octavia has won many awards for value, reliability and owner satisfaction. I also knew that many police, fire and ambulance services in this country and abroad use Octavias. For all these reasons I knew that the Octavia must be a good car, but I still couldn't quite get out of my head the old reputation of Skoda. After 3 years and 30,000 miles this lingering prejudice has gone completely. The Octavia is simply a brilliant car. It's got an ultra modern, low capacity but high torque and high power engine that's smooth and satisfying; fuel consumption at 45mpg in mixed driving is outstanding and it's a roomy and comfortable car with a safe and predictable driving experience. Reliability is all that anyone could ask: nothing has broken or gone wrong in three years. True, it looks a bit staid, but no more so than other mid-sized estates. Having overcome my prejudice about Skodas I am, for the first time in my life, about to buy another car of the same make. That's how good they are!

Anthony Heal, February 5th 2014

TDI CR Elegance 5dr

I got this car for its space and economy, rather than for any particular driver appeal, but after less than 1000 miles I am really appreciating it. It is fast when you want (Sport driving mode), economical when you want (Normal or Eco modes), handles well, and is comfortable and well equipped. I specced it up a bit with the winter pack, leather upholstery and panoramic sun roof but even without those extras it has more than enough in it. Plenty of room on the boot and a very useful dual boot floor. Plenty of room in the back seats as well. It has some really useful technology - Light Assist which puts your lights on main beam when you need it and dips them when there is oncoming traffic or streetlighting, a rear parking sensor (madam on my left has no reason to say anything now!!), and a warning if you get too close to the car in front too quickly (and does it quicker than Madam ever did). This is my first Skoda, after a Honda Civic, Seat Toledo and various Fords, and I know it's the most modern of all those being the newest, but I am thoroughly impressed with it and can recommend it strongly. Before ordering it I compared it with the Passat Estate and it was better in every respect, including performance and price. If I had to complain about anything it is that you cannot program a destination into the Sat Nav using the postcode - Doh!!

Peter Welford, Surrey, December 13th 2013

SDi Classic 5dr

Bought 55plate for 8k with 11k on the clock from Skoda franchise, now done 102k in 7 years, wiring faults but mechanically never let us down, classic model maybe a bit spartan for some but as a family wagon it cannot be faulted with hard wearing and easy to clean trim. Very economical day to day and sensible servicing costs. When asked will handle long journeys fully loaded with family and gear and return over 53mpg at motorway speeds, longest journey we have done was 620miles in a day and there were no complaints from the passengers ! Look after the car with regular servicing and it wont cause trouble, our repairs (not servicing) have cost 0.005p/mile averaged over the seven years of ownership but the depreciation now is minimal.

Jonathan Carr, Devon, October 28th 2013

TDi Elegance 5dr

I have owned my Elegance 110 Tdi since 2002 and have covered 110,000 miles. There have been a few minor problems, but none have been expensive. The engine is superb and will accelerate from 1000 rpm in 5th gear and is still running sweetly. 55 mpg is easily obtainable. In short, a brilliantly practical vehicle.

Keith Martin, Somerset, August 14th 2012

T FSI vRS 5dr

This is the first Skoda I have owned. Before this I have had a stable of BMWs , Audis , SAAB , Volvo and VW etc. I had been looking for a mkVI Golf GTI with DSG but I felt that Β£23k for a 2nd hand Golf was just a joke. I therefore snatched at the chance of picking up a 25k 2010 vRS with DSG for Β£12500 from a dealer. Once I got over the Skoda jibes I must say it has become a family favourite and frankly the best all round driving car I've owned. It has all the fun and pace of the VW GTI , but the ride is smoother , has the boot of a Mercedes and comfort of a BMW. Its not as well put together as an Audi - but it rides better and is quieter. My wife drives a 2010 VW Golf GT TDI and although its good this is just so much better in every facet. Its not the prettiest of cars but with the LED lights , deep front spoiler and 18" Alloys it does look quite purposeful. The DSG paddle shift is a gem but frankly I generally leave it in drive and let the 200 bhp engine do the rest. Its frankly difficult to find fault - the rear windscreen is a pig to keep clean in the winter and the light grey of the seats get dirty too easily (next time I'd get 100% leather). It had its first Skoda service last week after a years ownership and cost Β£199.00 which was OK I guess but it still seems expensive for what is effectively an oil change. The Skoda dealership is also a pleasant place to be. The logo may get a few jibes but I can handle them for what is the best motoring value on the road.

alasdair muir, May 30th 2012

TDI CR Elegance 5dr

My fourth, and probably last, car from VAG. It is good at what it does, but at 50,000 miles (yesterday !) and 27 months old there are too many issues. In a car that young, you shouldn't have problems with lights that are caused by connectors RUSTING AWAY, nor should there be frequent intermittent problems with the DRLs. The above I could live with, but 3 days in the garage because of an electrical failure (frayed loom - not something that can be detected by following diagnostics, but because the repairing garage were not the seller, they have to follow Skoda's instructions for warranty repairs) at 15 months old was bad enough, but the car has just come back after 3 weeks off the road following a turbo failure, again, repaired under warranty, but it took so long as everything had to be done with reference to Skoda Technical, whose spec says the oil pressure should be 9 bar and the garage spend two weeks under direction trying to acheive that before Skoda Technical changed their mind and said it should only be 6. If it wasn't for these issues, I'd happily have another, but its beginning to look like VAG has returned to penny pinching - Coil pack, anyone ?

Mike Leech, March 16th 2012

TDI CR 4x4 5dr

I have owned this car a few months now and it is a lovely, comfortable car to drive which feels very steady and safe on the road (but I did previously drive a Picasso!). I do regret going for this engine as the gearbox has to be worked hard to maintain progress, probably due to the weight of the car. Fuel economy over the first 4,000 miles is 45.5 m.p.g. The boot is cavernous and I am glad I went for the variable boot floor which gives a flat loadspace, but I do find the cabin a bit short of stowage spaces e.g. for road maps (remember them?), a waste bin etc. The centre rear seat's usefulness is limited by the driveshaft tunnel. Build quality seems generally very good but the paint seems very thin - a very minor encounter with a plastic bin has gone through the paint. With the benefit of hindsight I think I would have been happier if I had gone for the 140bhp TDI engine (at least). The 1.6 engine maybe economical enough but, in this car, it doesn't provide much driver satisfaction or fun. I have yet to test its capabilities fully loaded but I expect the car to struggle at times.

Mervyn Hoyland, July 27th 2011

TDI PD Ambiente 5dr

This car is very uncomfortable for anyone over 5ft 11in. The rear end tends to slide easily making it feel unstable on country roads and the build quality does not live up to the clever marketing Skoda have put out. They keep their prices down by using poor quality paints which look good when you buy the car new but soon you may well have corrosion. They are notorious for not paying out on the corrosion warranty so there is a significant chance you will be left with a rust bucket. If you want people to mistake you for a Taxi driver get one of these. I am changing mine for a Subaru and I recommend anyone thinking of buying an Octavia to look beyond the clever VW Group marketing and think carefully about the quality of the materials they use. Ask yourself how they can produce the cars at the price?

Jonathan Lovett, May 23rd 2011

TSI S 5dr

Tried twice now to contact Skoda via their website regarding the 1.4TSI Octavia, NO reply cannot be bothered it seems. Perhaps this is a lucky escape. Shows what they think of potential customers. I have NOT driven this car.

Geoff Charlesworth, February 5th 2009

TDI PD Elegance 5dr

Unlike the previous reviewer I have not suffered with the creaking doors or poor radio reception, so I would disagree with his dealer's claim that all Octavias are the same. My previous car was a 2002 Mondeo estate and the radio / multi-CD player in the Ford was very disappointing. I find that the FM radio reception in my Octavia is much better than the Ford's, and the CD player will play MP3 disks in addition to normal audio CDs. There is also an aux socket for external MP3 players and the like. My car was new in September 2007, and you will not find these audio features in older Octavias such as my father's 2005 L&K model. Although the load space in the Octavia estate is a bit less than in the Mondeo estate, it is very good for a car of this size. The boot of the Octavia is not as capable as the Mondeo when it comes to accepting large objects, being about 4 inches shorter and 4 inches narrower, but it is about 4 inches deeper including the space below the variable boot floor and this space is useful for storing oddments with the false floor in place. The car has done 12700 miles with no problems apart from a recent faulty semsor in the engine management system that was promptly sorted out under warranty. I am very happy with the fit and finish of the Octavia, the way that it drives, the level of equipment and the reliability.

Adrian Kiddle, Norfolk, February 4th 2009

TDI PD Elegance 5dr

Bought new 2.0 in June 2008, my first impressions were good. It is comfortable to drive, quite roomy, economical for its size and powerful. HOWEVER, in the 6 months that I’ve owned the car there a couple of problems that have detracted from my enjoyment. There is an annoying creaking/rattling that comes from all doors on the most minor of road imperfections. The car has been to the dealers three times and I’m told that β€œall Octavias are the same”. I believe it emanates from the double door seal that has been fitted to the later models. Below 30mph you have to put up with a constant rattling noise. Secondly the radio reception awful. If you like Radio 5, or any other AM station you can forget it as the sound quality is appalling. FM is not much better as it suffers terrible interference. Skoda customer services tell me that this should not be the case, yet my local dealer tells me that β€œall Octavias are the same”, and told me that they have replaced the unit for some customers, but it made no difference. How can the dealer say it is a common problem, yet customer service know nothing about it? Don’t think I’m being over fussy here, I’m comparing the radio to the one fitted to my Hyundai Getz, which gives a far superior sound, from a car costing one third the price of the Octavia. For both issues, I don’t care if β€œall Octavias are the same” – it is still annoying to me. For these reasons I would not have another, and would not recommend them to anyone else.

Chris Banwell-Clode, Gwent, January 15th 2009

TDI PD Laurin + Klement 5dr

I never thought I would see the day when I ordered a Skoda as a company car. I checked What Car reviews 2 years ago and looked at others on my list, none came near to the spec of this vehicle. It is a class drive and has all the gimmicks, It has not failed me once. I have recommended it to others in my organization and had good feedback.. When it comes up for renewal later in the year I will be requesting another, perhaps the Scout!

William Coffield, Surrey, January 9th 2009

TDI PD Ambiente 5dr

Had this car a year now, and I doubt there's many better-value cars out there... Love the quality, smooth ride, space, generous kit (climate control in a Β£14k car!). Basically a top-spec Golf for many thousands less, but nicer and better built. Not one fault yet. Like it that friend with expensive, poverty-spec A4 prefers the Octavia! Not so keen on the average engine which is noisy when cold and revved hard (my 7-year old Citroen had a much, much better diesel), and the "clever" boot floor just takes up space. Very good value from buying new, only cost Β£30 for 2 litres of oil, service not needed until 18000 miles! The dealer was excellent throughout the purchase and delivery. Overall then: Highly recommended. (If you are a badge-snob, find a VW badge, stick it on the steering wheel and you'll be right at home, and considerably richer!)

Stephen Click, West Yorkshire, January 9th 2009

TDI PD Elegance 5dr

I bought a 57 plate 2.0TDI 140PS DSG from a Skoda dealership in November 08 with 9800 miles on the clock, 11 months old and in immaculate condition. I chose the Skoda over other makes and models because of the good reviews and feedback and I have not been disappointed in any department. I have just returned to Salisbury from Mull in the Western Isles,a mixture of rural, urban and motorway driving and on Mull single track roads with passing places where I switched to manual gears for most of our stay. 1177 miles and an average mpg (actual, not in-car computer) of 47.96 and that included running the car up for 10 minutes each morning to clear the ice. On the way up we stopped at Penrith to break the journey. On the way back, because the car was so comfortable and easy to drive, we drove from Oban to Salisbury straight through with rest and comfort breaks en route. The two Skoda dealerships I have dealt with (where I bought the car from and my local dealership who will be looking after the car servicing for me) could not be more helpful. I would urge anybody looking for a practical, economical, comfortable and affordable car to test drive all their choices and then, if a Skoda Octavia has not featured, try one. You will be amazed and will very probably change your mind.

justin Smith, January 6th 2009

TDI PD Elegance 5dr

My previous review has come out as the 1.6 FSI, it should be the 1.9 TDI PD Automatic.

Jean Lyon, Devon, November 11th 2008

FSI Elegance 5dr

Just bought this car from a Skoda dealer 3 weeks ago. It has 11,000 miles on the clock and is a year old. We love it. It has all the extra gadgets and I love the fact that I won't have to service it for 18K miles approx or even more. It's very pokey to drive, leaves others standing climbing a hill. We have the DSG automatic version and my husband likes the way you can throw it across into manual pre-select. Have only done shortish runs at the moment, but the computer tells me I am doing 46 mpg, so I imagine it will do up to 60 mpg on a long run. My only tiny niggle is wind noise at the drivers door side. Not sure yet if it's a seal or just the wing mirror or door pillar. Apart from that we feel like we have made a very good choice.

Jean Lyon, Devon, November 10th 2008