FSI Quattro 2dr S Tronic

The car looks great. The car sounds amazing. The build quality is fantastic. The power is breathtaking. However, it leaves me cold. Even when you put the foot down, where limits allow, 150 mph + is nothing special. It's all too clinical. It does put a smile on my face every time I start the engine and hear that roar - and it is a roar, but unless you are on some twisty B roads the drive just isn't engaging. The 22 mpg average is also beginning to annoy me. I won't be buying another one....maybe a BMW M6 or an insane Merc V8 will suit me better.

Gary Stewart, October 30th 2014

T FSI Black Edition 2dr

63 REG Positives: Beautiful to look at especially in the black edition.(white) B&O sounds great especially on CDs.. Feel The difference from your standard iTunes/mp3 Front cabin comfortable, spacious yet cosy, unlike the CLA220 AMG or 5 series my other options. 60-90 you will hardly notice Nice exhaust note... A little noisier would be good. Alloys beautiful rotor blades Improvement needed: Infotainment really poor, not intuitive at all. It feels well below the standards set by the likes of land rover Evoque. Ride... Yes i knew it would be firm but terrible with pot holes, great on A and motorways. Interior light pack should come as standard, with a choice of mood light e.g. Mini 0-30 a bit less responsive due to the on/off which you can switch off lowering your MPG. Overall, a more subtle and sophisticated package than the other contenders.

Ben Lee, October 18th 2013

TDI 177 S Line 2dr

Have one of these for test drive over the weekend, so initial thoughts. Am actually looking to get a Sportback with this engine in SE Tecknic Trim. So: Good Points: Looks Stunning Wonderful build quality Performance and handling good. Bad Points: The ride is terrible and I mean shocking. You feel everything shoot through the body of the car and you get shaken and rattled about. So I will need to test drive the SE Trim which has supposedly a better ride. Ok the car wont look as good as an S line model but am an age where comfort means more than posing, which seems to be the main reason for the S line! Also as a musician upgrade to the B and O system. The standard one on test here is OK but not great. If only the 3 Series or C Class had a hatchback version. ( I dont like estates and need space for my drumkit!!)

Graham Curtis, dorset, May 13th 2012

TDI Quattro Sport 2dr

I've had this car for over a year, & for the 1st time ever I plan on keeping this car for longer than 12 months (I'm that sure of it I've just given Audi Β£800 to extend the warranty). This car is brilliant to drive. It has great acceleration and performance, especially on the motorway. Fast, yet quiet and refined (there's no way you can tell it's a diesel). Corners are also dealt with very easily with minimal body-roll and an assured level of grip from the 'Quattro' system. The running costs would have been a 5* up to last October but Audi diesel engines all seem to take a big hit in mpg during the cold. I was regularly averaging nearly 40mpg on a 10 mile commute but over the winter this dropped to 30mpg. I suppose not bad for a 3.0 but still a little unexpected (although the warmer spring weather has meant it is gradually getting back up to high 30's). Inside the car the materials are excellent & the quality up there with the best cars I have driven. The Sat Nav is easy to use & usually routes well. The ipod interface is brilliant (iPod hidden in the glove box and yet all functionality is controllable by the audi multimedia interface). The back seats are ok, but if you're thinking of an A5 it probably isnt for a family with 2 teenagers. My 3yr old sits on her booster seat in the back & has few complaints - and i have no problems getting her there. Related to that, the boot is very big for a coupe and easily handled a weeks luggage for 3! Overall, I love the A5

Chris Gibson, Lancashire, March 7th 2011

TDI Quattro 2dr

Lovely car, but with only 1500 characters to write this review, I’ll just describe one serious design fault: This is a potentially DANGEROUS car. With its electro-mechanical parking brake system, it is all too easy to park with no brake applied. Why? You never need to release the parking brake – it’s automatic. You don’t even need to apply the brake if you’ve been using Hill Start Assist – it’s automatic. When you use this feature, you can get out of the car without touching the parking brake switch - it’s already applied. The trouble is when you haven’t been using HSA. I’ve left my car a few times without the brake applied and so have Audi's service staff! Sooner or later an A5 (or other Audi with this braking system) will be left without the brake applied and it will roll down a hill and kill people. Audi could so easily resolve this potentially dangerous situation with a simple software upgrade. The braking system knows when the vehicle is stationery and it knows when you turn off the ignition or open to driver’s door. With this information, it should ALWAYS apply the parking brake when these conditions are recognised. Rant over – otherwise it’s a fabulous car to drive, admired by others, goes like a train, and is stuffed with loads of complicated-to-operate gizmos.

Peter Cawson, November 13th 2008

Quattro 2dr S Tronic

This is a gorgeous car with a beautifully sculpted body, and the general shape of the car. This car certainly doesn't look cheap, it is a work of art. The front is both classy and aggressive, the back looks less good, but the 4 exhausts certainly make up for some of the lack of ambition there. The extra sideskirts, little extra bits on the back and front also add to the appealing looks. People ask me all the time how much it costs and when I tell them it would sell for Β£48,000 new, they say that's cheap! Now for the drive, and here is where you may be surprised. Yes it is fast, yes it sounds delightfully monster-esque, yes it handles brilliantly and feels extremely stable but it also feels heavy and you just wonder why it is so boring when you're hitting 80mph. It feels heavy because it IS heavy at 1630kg, but quality is always heavy. I can't quite explain it, but when you're going flat out in it, it just seems tedious and pointless. You're just wasting fuel! You'll get a mere 250 miles for a full tank if you drive it like an old man with the occasional go at the throttle - for a 63L tank, that's poor. I'm not saying I don't love driving it! I just think it makes you grow up and understand that it is not a racing car. It is a gorgeous looking cruiser that has oodles of extra grunt if required.

Ahmad Qadan, Middlesex, October 28th 2008

Quattro 2dr

Ahmad Qadan, Middlesex, October 28th 2008

TDI Quattro 2dr

I wanted this car pretty much from the first time I saw one on the road. It took me quite some time to find one in the price range that I wanted for my budget, and also with the spec that I wanted. There are not many of them around, even on the Audi stockmarket so you need to prepare to perserve. I'm so glad that I did because this car is absolutely superb. It is a joy to drive and it looks absolutely awesome (mine is in Ice Silver). You need to get larger than the stock 17" alloys on as they just don't look right. It's beautiful inside and feels totally quality and solid, but the best thing is the car is a real headturner and people actually look at you in it as you drive past. It makes you feel like you've chosen a really stylish car, which basically you have. Please, please don't bother with a boring looking BMW and get one of these - you won't regret it.

Richard Ward, Durham, September 3rd 2008

T FSI Sport 2dr

I have owned my new A5 for about 8 weeks and have found an excellent vehicle. I moved from a diesel discovery that was returning on average 23mpg and was happy to find the A5 consistently return 32mpg. However; upon reading Irvine Crightons review I sent an E-mail to my local dealer (also his dealer) to enquire about the recall. I was advised my vehicle was not subject to that recall but would "need" to undergo a "Software" upgrade. However; there was apparently no need for it to be carried out until the next service. After checking the vehicles service indicator I found the first time the car would be back to the dealership would be for a scheduled oil change in approx a year and a halfs time. I decided that was too lond to wait and booked the car in for that upgrade. The vehicle now returns 39mpg that means on average I will get an extra 100 miles out of every tank of petrol. Therefore, I would urge any owners of the 1.8TFSI to have that work carried out immediately. I have no idea why Audi are not informing owners. If it were not for that chance reading of Mr Crichtons review my fuel bill would have been considerable higher than it needed to be. After all the upgrade only took approx 30 mins.

John Clarke, Aberdeenshire, June 7th 2008

TDI Quattro Sport 2dr

Awesome drive! I own a A4 Cabriolet 2.0T sport. The A5 makes it feel like a pram. Great all round, if you are over 5'5" and or about 10stones, dont even try getting in the back unless you have someone driving who is less than 4'6" and needs to sit on the dashboard to see out.

Peter Williams, May 17th 2008

TDI Sport 2dr Multitronic

Looked at a BMW Coupe, a Merc etc and was getting bored and considering not changing my car. Then I spotted the A5 and instantly new this was the car for me, what looks. I was not let down by the interior either, the BMW coupe was forgettable but the Audi was modern with some design and a retro style around the dials etc. The competition for me was blown away. I bought a demonstrator, due to the long wait time for a new one. I have not been disappointed, it drives great and oozes quality. Lot's of smooth power, seemless gear changes from the auto box, great cornering etc etc. You get the picture.

Mike Hornsby, Merseyside, May 2nd 2008

T FSI Sport 2dr

After driving 3 Audi A6’s in succession I decided to relive my youth and so I bought a new 2007 Audi TT 2.0T FSi but after two months found it to be not practical for my lifestyle so ordered a 1.8T FSi Audi A5 Coupe in November 2007 and delivery took place on 1st March 2008. Car ordered with following options - Xenon day time running lights, metallic paint, 19'' Y spoke alloys, 6 CD system, Homelink system, Interior light package, cruise control. Car delivered on 1st March 08’ plate and no faults on delivery. Car has covered 2000 miles in its first two months and economy has not been as good as stated in the information from Audi - best so far has been 35 mpg which is still excellent for such a large car. Car taken in for a Recall by Audi which required replacement water pipe and replacement ECU unit. Car performs much better with more responsive acceleration and economy now reading 43 mpg. Had two longer journeys and car was just effortless to drive and a privilege to own. Can't say enough praise about this car - have owned A3's, A4's, several A6's and a new style TT - so am probably Audi stamped but I did test drive BMW's and Mercs but still came back to Audi. The car to take out of the showroom was just under the 31K mark but worth every single penny of my hard earned cash. As said previously, a privilege to own and to drive.

Irvine Crighton, Aberdeenshire, April 27th 2008

T FSI Sport 2dr

I very nearly opted for a 3 Series Coupe, though the amount of them about made me think again. I love the looks of the A5 and was close to ordering a 3.0 TDi, though the company car tax implications for the next three years made me think hard. Then Audi launched the 1.8 TFSi and I went ahead and ordered. I have had the car for 3 weeks now and am thoroughly impressed. It has a decent exhaust note, good looks and good equipment levels, too. I have no hesitation in recommending it!

Mike Clarke, Oxon, April 17th 2008

TDI Quattro Sport 2dr

I went to BMW, and they never rang me back with Β£40,000 to spend, so I recently bought an A5, and have owned it for one week. It's a fantastic car to drive, and a head-turner as well. The engine is smooth and powerful and the car is great out of corners. Comfort is hard to fault. I sat in the back once, but will not do it again - it took 2 minutes to get out. Extras are expensive and it's hard work getting a half-decent deal, even on an ex-demonstrator.

Colin Hunt, April 2nd 2008

T FSI Sport 2dr

Ignore what you read, BMW 3 series coupe has nothing on this car! I drove both back to back, absolutely no comparison. The Audi drives beautifly, is roomier, better built, better equipped and the dealer is genuinely pleased to see you. BMW are working on reputation only, no customer service, take it or leave it. Well thanks to BMW Solihull I got the car I was craving for an Audi A5, I can never repay you!!

Nick Hartland, March 13th 2008

TDI Quattro Sport 2dr

Oh my GOD! What a car.....I previously wrote a reveiw on this car when I just test drove it. I have now had the car for 4 weeks and this is the best car that I have ever owned - I've had BMW's and never had an Audi before. When I saw the Audi A5 I loved the looks. The car is built great, drives great, proformance is great. People stop in the street an just watch the car pass. The first thing people see is the amazing driving LED lights. Buy one you will love it!!!!!!!!

James Pitts-Drake, Wiltshire, March 13th 2008

FSI Quattro Sport 2dr

Having driven a bmw330ci coupe sport for the last 3 years, I decided to change and opted for the A5 3.2FSI Quattro Sport. The build quality and ride is far superior than the bmw. A great fun car to drive and power is greater than the bmw you feel part of the car with the 60/40 ratio and can go hard in to corners and feel safe,great driving car must have for all.

sam harris, March 9th 2008

TDI Quattro Sport 2dr

I've just changed company car from a 525d SE auto saloon and thought I would have to compromise some practicality for the utterly desireable A5 Coupe. Not so! The two kids fit comfortably in the back, the doom merchant reviewers perhaps overstating the "cramped and coffin like" back seat area. I drove to scotland yesterday usual route up the M6 to Carlisle - on to Glasgow and East to Edinburgh. Today I returned to Skipton taking the excellent A68 through the boarders the A5 is that sort of Car - I never bothered to take that route in the 5 Series. The A5 is very relaxed and quiet on the motorway as the 5 series was but on the twisty stuff It just makes you feel really really happy. Oh and the 3.0 Tdi engine is every bit as good as they say it is.

Emlyn Lewis, North Yorkshire, March 5th 2008

TDI Sport 2dr Multitronic

I had been looking for a classy car for the last 3 months,telephoned a couple of bmw dealers with details of my car (trade in);both dealers took my details failed to ring me back!!!!!! Wanted to spend 35k ...not enough for bmw sales. lost interest for a while but decided to give it another go and tried audi dealer.Telephoned the dealership and gave them details of my car,the salesman promised to ring me back in five minutes,which he did.Did the the deal 5 minutes later and picked up my a5 sport coupe( 4week old demo )two days later. My first audi...fabulous,great boot for my golf gear and what a head turner. BMW need to visit the audi dealership in Grimsby....thats how to service customers.

andy garrick, norfolk, November 26th 2007

Quattro 2dr S Tronic

The S5 has a fabulous engine - it sounds so good that you have to open the window to drink the sound in. The 60:40 split makes the chassis feels alive and balanced - like a 3 series but a safe one that can put its power down without the annoying orange flashes from the dash that typify a BMW drive. The dash, the controls and the B&O are all great - great to touch, use and listen to. I have an A6 3.0tdi and my heart is taken by this S5. The tax worries me for company car drivers, the fuel consumption worries me for private ownership but the sound track blows my head.

tim clifford, cheshire, November 25th 2007