X
Owner reviews

d TS [163] 5dr

• What it's like to drive 2/5
  • Average MPG 50 mpg

Pros Great punch from the 2.2 163 bhp car i had averaged 50 mpg over 11k miles so pretty good , good stereo and equipment good large load space and seats fold down easy Cons expensive servicing , awful ride quality and i had the smaller 16 inch alloys with 205/60/16 tyres . Road noise very bad, handling so so not brilliant with sidewinds which surprised me , and Mazda use the DPF warning as a service indicator which is very clever!

Hayden Shaw, staffs, February 18th 2014

d [163] TS 5dr

• Overall verdict 3/5
  • What it's like to drive 3/5
  • Average MPG 0 mpg

Changed from Honda Accord to the Mazda Estate 163 Takayuma - mistake. No matter how easily I drive the Mazda I can't get over 42/43mpg whereas in the Honda i had no problem getting 50+mpg. Also the drivers seat is very uncomfortable so much so that I now sit on a blanket to get a bit of comfort. Don't believe everything you read in the car magazines about the Mazda - the Honda is an infinitely better car to drive.

Robert Graham, Antrim, August 16th 2011

• Average MPG 0 mpg

My Clutch/DMF went within the warranty period. Mazda refused to pay the Β£1400 bill for replacement parts. I offered to meet half the costs, but they didn't budge. After arranging for a County Court hearing, Mazda have relented and paid half the bill. Apart for that, and the main beam bulbs blowing more that usual, it's a fine car.

Jim van den Bos, February 20th 2009

• Average MPG 44 mpg

I have now covered 8000 miles in three months and have to say I am very impressed with the mazda 6. I had a succession of hire cars (mainly Vectra SRi estates and VW tourans) but this beats them all for all-round living. The main negatives would be quality feel: it does not compare to the vectras I have driven (which were in turn better than passats and tourans). The fuel consumption initially was also a worry 37mpg (the 1.8 petrol vecrtra was giving 40+!!), this has improved alot(40 round town 47 on motorways) The positives, where do i start! It looks superb, has so much equipment for the money. The modern but understated cabin works superbly and the practicality: that load cover that raises with the hatch, the shopping-hooks in the boot, the one-touch collapsing seats to name a few. The engine refinement is good compared to the VW's (new VW 2.0 is a match though) The handling is unbelievable! If you like a sporty ride this is for you. The seats are comfortable too, initially on test drive I thought them hard but now i love them! (couldn't sit in VW's for more than 1 hour without pain!). Voice activated bluetooth is good too. Overall a very underestimated car: i'm glad I chose it!

Earl Mckoy, Northants, January 31st 2009

• Average MPG 40 mpg

owned since new in 2005, bulletproof - no problems - what an amazing car. Looks good, drives good, is economical-35 in town 45 on a run. only use it now for long runs as we have a second car for town.

gary mogan, n yorks, January 29th 2009

• Average MPG 0 mpg

Value, value, value. Bought the car when it was 15 months old (53 plate - sep 03). It had 18k on the clock (1 owner). 4 years on the car has now done 70k and in that time it's never missed a beat or had anything at all go wrong with it. The boot is massive and provides very easy access. Bought it because of new twins and it has taken all our stuff and more on many occasions. Leg room great (6'4" and still reasonable leg room behind me). Comments regarding cabin noise, high tax and questionable fuel economy all true but outweighed by practicality - nothing more than brilliant!! So good infact I'm off to buy 52 plate hatch version as our second car because I reckon it's bulletproof.

Mike Stephenson, January 10th 2009

d SL 5dr

• Average MPG 42 mpg

Previously I would confess to being a bit of a badge snob but not any more! The sales man was right when he said that it would drive much better than my Audi A3. The engine and power deliver of the diesel are so much smoother than the vw group tdi's though the long gearing makes it less flexible but this is improving with miles. I was lucky enough to get a great deal with top book for my old car against a 3 month old delivery mileage 2.0D sport Lux with Β£4500 of list! The only option avilalble is met paint! every other toy is there already, though the rear wiper sweeping before reversing would be handy. Economy has improved steadily from 37 to 42 in mixed driving, the DPF regeneration cycle does use quite a bit of fuel when its happening. The overall quality of the car is as good as my previous Audi's so what if the plastics you dont touch all the time arent soft touch. Mazda seem to have spent the money making the car steer and ride much more consistantly than any of my Audi's did. This is the best car I have owned to date, its nice to have a car with some character again!

david bisset, December 23rd 2008

• Average MPG 0 mpg

Nice car, everything you need really. BUT - avoid diesel engine, car started pouring with smoke just before joining motorway, dipped the clutch then it accelerated on its own to max revs, very dangerous and would not recommend this car to anyone for this one reason.

Jenna Taylor, West Midlands, December 19th 2008

• Average MPG 36 mpg

Right, 5000 into ownership of the 6 sport diesel and so far so good. The negative points.... I'm a company car user so the fuel economy isn't the be all and end all for me, but if i was a private buyer, i'm not sure i'd be all that pleased, i'm averaging 36mpg, compared to 44mpg (with an admittedly heavy right foot driving style) from my old Renault Scenic. A couple of other reviewers' comments re the gearing I can back up also. The 6th gear at 70mph on the motorway is way below its power band and you have no choice but to drop into 5th for overtaking, at anything below 75 and in 6th, the car labours. I don't really agree with the press comments regarding the use of cheap plastics. They don't detract from the quality of the stunning cabin. Those are my only gripes. Now the good bits.... The xenon lights of the sport model with AFS are stunning. The steering wheel controls for everything (CF-Net) once you've become comfortable with them are superb. The handling is unbelievably good for a car of this size. The BOSE stereo in CD/Mp3 mode is amazing, the radio is good but obviously cannot compete in terms of sound quality. Reliability-wise / cost of servicings, its a little too early to comment but i've run the car in quite quickly and theres not even the slightest rattle, niggle or problem with the whole car. Very very impressed.

Ian Macleod, Surrey, October 6th 2008

TS [147] 5dr

• Average MPG 37 mpg

I need van-like carrying capacity for work and like a safe, spirited drive when unloaded. The 6 estate has fulfilled all of these brilliantly. The load capacity is massive (noticeably bigger than my business partners Laguna estate) and the back seat release catch is used frequently when I come out of the DIY with my hands full. Above all it still puts a smile on my face driving through the country lanes. The 2 litre petrol isn't the most frugal and needs to be worked hard, but pulls well with sufficient power for safe overtakes and ease of joining motorways. The ride is firm but the pay-off is great handling. The centre console looks like a cheap Japanese hi-fi, but externally it's a great looking car. But you can't have your cake and eat it at this price point: pound for pound it is great value. After 3 years, 50,000 miles running costs have been sensible and the only issue has been the usual corroding Mazda alloy wheels. They started to tarnish around the centre as the 3rd year approached. I didn’t see this as too much of a problem: I now have a completely new pristine set of wheels replaced under warranty which don’t have 3 years of the wife scuffing them and stone chips. Another couple of years and it will have been traded-in… The dealer is generally rude and unhelpful, but the car is great and the new 6 is definitely amongst the candidates when I replace.

jeremy Stinton, staffs, September 15th 2008

• Average MPG 30 mpg

Swapped over to TS2 petrol estate from a mondeo estate 2 litre TDCI - The Mazda should have been the diesel model - but someone ordered the wrong car from the lease company ! never mind these things happen ! the car looks brill - the twin pipes at the back, make the car look like a rocket ship - (the diesel has a single pipe)Performance - its pretty good - but rev it hard to get the best from it - if you switch from a diesel - you do miss the torque , so gears have to be right!!! Bad bits - seats - head rest will not move forward or backward , just up and down - my neck hurts after a long run - i ended up taking head rest off to relieve the pain - every ones back length is different and adjustment of this item in this axis would be welcome ; seat is hard too - have a long test drive 1st and see if you can get comfortable... back seats very hard - again my 6 year old daughter couldnt get comfy in the seats - i am hoping this is just newness....... What happened to the back door pockets Mazda? forgot to put them in ?? when you got kids - back door pockets hold pens, papers,books,toys,food,nintendos,etc, etc - please re consider design ..... sounds a minor complaint - but when all the kids stuff ends up all over the car its well justified.... finally ,how do you turn the lights off ? The hand book says off means off - really it means on in UK models .......my old Volvo was like this and it went through light bulbs very quick .... i reckon this might be the same......

PAUL HARVEY, August 7th 2008

• Average MPG 0 mpg

I am very impressed with this car; the new model is extremely rewarding to drive for a car of its size. The suspension is taught and this inspires real confidence on twisty roads. There is an excellent balance in terms of keeping the suspension 'sporty' with out it resulting in an uncomfortable ride. The 2.0 diesel engine is superb - it is relatively refined and has impressive reserves of pull which makes overtaking a breeze. It feels much more gutsy than the 2.0 petrol in my previous 6. The gears do take some getting used to. The ratios are high compared to the outgoing model and this means that sixth gear can be used far less routinely in the new 6. The upside of this, however, is incredibly relaxed high-speed cruising. At 80mph in sixth the tacho needle has only reached the 2000 rev mark. The car is extremely comfortable and the seats provide lots of support. The cabin is very spacious with plenly of room in the boot for buggies, luggage etc etc. The styling of the car is superb - it is very distinctive compared to the run-of-the-mill Mondeos etc and you see very few of the new 6s on the road, although I'm sure this will change. Two key reasons why I chose a 6 over a Mondeo: 1. Value for money - the base level 6 estate comes with all the gear you could want. The eqivalent Mondeo has wind-up rear windows and plastic wheels. 2. Tax and emissions - the limited CO2 output places the 6 in a very low tax bracket.

Tim Ennion, Dorset, August 6th 2008

• Overall verdict 1/5
  • Average MPG 0 mpg

I got my blue TS D on a Friday, used it all weekend and thought, "yes!" the colour was great it drove well and looked brillant. However, come Monday evening it all changed!! On the way home from work (25 miles)the Engine Management went crazy and I had to drive home in safe mode, no turbo and 2500 rpms. Took it to a dealership and they sorted out the Engine Management system but the throtle sensor is knacked after only 350 MILES! The local dealer said the Mazda part is not on the system and could take 2 - 3 weeks best guess. I always heard that Mazdas were reliable and the service good but I have had to ring Mazda to get information not the other way around. I could write a review about a Vectra, the hire car I have had for more time than my Mazda!!!! Just a word of caution if something goes wrong it can take an age to sort out

Gareth Griffiths, Neath Port Talbot, August 1st 2008

• Average MPG 46 mpg

I've had my 6 estate for 2 months now and covered 3000 miles. I went for the Mazda 6 over the new mondeo, largely because of the long lead times for Diesel Mondeos (6 months +). The Ford dealer didn't either bother giving me a test drive - just told me to go for the Mazda. I know Ford own Mazda, but you would expect the dealers to try and sell their own products.....? Fuel economy - I'm averaging 46 on a mixture of country/town and motorways. Cruising at 80 on a 500 mile round trip to Norwich, I got 49mpg. I have noticed that the turning the air con off makes a substantial difference to the MPG. Things I Like I have now got used to the gear ratios, and spend most of my time in 6th at anything above 60 above. Makes for a nice quiet and effortless drive. Exclusivity. I haven't seen another new 6 estate on the road since I got mine. Hardly see any of the hatches either. Daytime running lights always on. I've always turned my lights on to drive during the day anyway, so this is one less thing for me to remember. Equipment levels are very good. Things I don't like: The plastics scuff and scratch easily. Worried the car is going to look a bit shabby in a few years. No spare tyre. I paid extra to have one put in, but I now have a huge piece of polystyrene in the loft that was in the tyre well. CF NET. This is pretty pointless. Its easier to adjust things without touching CF Net.

stewart taylor, July 22nd 2008

d S [121] 5dr [6]

• What it's like to drive 3/5
  • Running costs 2/5
  • Quality 2/5
  • Average MPG 0 mpg

Buy at your peril!! We bought a used 52 plate Mazda6 diesel estate as a family vehicle. At first all was well. However after about 10,000 miles, the car had done 52,00 miles in total, the engine began to cut out. It would only do this when approaching a junction or under deceleration. My local independent garage was unable to diagnose the problem but after some digging on the internet and with the help of another garage, it was diagnosed as a fault with the fuel pump. This is a well known fault on the diesel engine but is not widely reported upon in the motoring press. Are manufacurers and the motoring press in cahoots with each other? I think so. I was quoted in excess of Β£600 by my local Mazda dealer to have the pump refurbished. A new pump was in excess of Β£2000. Also the rear wheel arces were beginning to rust. I contacted Mazda but was fobbed off. If ever you are walking past a Mazda6, just look at the rear wheel arches. Most over 3 years old are beginning to rust. A disgrace in my opinion. The alloy wheels were terribly corroded. Another fault that Mazda are aware of and I do believe were replacing depending upon the circumstances. All in all a good looking car which I bought for the so called Japanese reliability. I have now replaced it with a Honda Accord. Now there is a good Japanese car.

David Smith, July 9th 2008

• Average MPG 42 mpg

Overall, recommended. A very good all round package. Rear sensors cost Β£320. Colliers Mazda handover very good. Economy to date is 42mpg (mway+town),37mpg town). Minus points: 1.Gearing ratios are a bit high. Needs getting used to as you can find yourself in the wrong gear at times. Maybe it’s early days yet and engine needs to bed in, but at certain speeds and in what you would normally think is the right gear, but should actually be in a lower gear, acceleration is almost horizontal (not linear) when you need it most. Also, difficult to maintain 30 mph limit in fourth gear without straining the engine noticeably. 2.Handbrake offset to the passenger side puts a strain on the elbow and back in stop start traffic. 3.Daytime running lights on all the time-can turn them off if you turn on sidelights, but then sidelights remain on!Confusing. 4.Prefer a spare tyre rather than puncture repair kit. 5.Noisier than other diesels? Plus points: 1.Stylish, spacious with excellent load space, well thought out interior. 2.Very easy to drive with good handling and grip. Feels light and nimble, yet solid. Lively when pushed. 3.Excellent standard equipment, but no rear sensors. 4.Relatively lower tax rate and Co2 emissions. RFL Β£120,insurance is low. 5.Market suggests better residuals than the competition. Estate appears better choice and is more versatile than hatchback, which is almost as big-difference in list price between them not great.

Y Vadva, West Midlands, July 9th 2008

• Average MPG 48 mpg

I have been running this car for 5 weeks, since opting for the Mazda estate as my next company car, over other cars in the same price band. Having now covered over 3000 miles, I am pleased that I made the decision. The quality overall is first class, and now the engine is loosening up, it is a pleasure to drive. I am also very pleased with the economy. I do tend to do long runs, and the initial tank of fuel returned 42mpg. However within 5 weeks this has risen to 48mpg which includes motorway and town driving, so pretty good. A colleague has a similar spec mondeo and is getting only 39mpg after 8000miles. I have no real gripes and am very pleased with the specification considering the price, and the fit and finish is excellent. One gripe , and only a small one at that, is that rear parking sensors should be standard on a car this long. Another bonus is that I have only seen one other 6 estate on the road. I am sure this will change as people realise that this car should be chosen every time over the "normal" mondeo clones.

Steve Craddock, Rutland, July 3rd 2008

d TS2 [136] 5dr

• Overall verdict 1/5
  • Running costs 1/5
  • Average MPG 0 mpg

I bought a 4 year old Mazda 6 2.0d TS2 estate from a dealer with 42000 miles. It's a great car to drive and has all the toys, CD player, cruise control, climate control, etc. I did find the road noise a bit intrusive so added some sound insulation which made it much quieter. I really liked the car. BUT!! at 53000 miles I need a new engine and the Mazda used car warranty will pay nothing. Big end and number 4 cylinder shot. The say it's because I didn't check the oil and drove it without sufficient lubricant. I hadn't checked the oil for only 1000 miles. This started using oil but no warning lights or anything. I've had Peugeots 305, 405 & 406 for more 20 years doing more than 400,000 miles in total with no serious problems and definitely no oil needed and they are all supposed to be very unreliable. I'm having to pay Β£3k-Β£4k to have a second hand engine put in it. Now I find this is a common fault with the Mazda diesel; cylinders go oval, they start using oil and throw number 4 big end. So much for Japanese reliability! The warranty is totally useless and a complete con. Unless it's a totally new design diesel engine, I wouldn't buy one again.

Jeremy Gordon, June 6th 2008

• Average MPG 0 mpg

I have the TS2 Estate, practicality is 5 star, performance seems better that the stated numbers, fuel consuption av 38 mpg, l think that this is due to the very high 6th gear, this means you tend to stay longer in 5th gear in real world driving its hard to stay in 6th, motorways are fine and the computor gives 50+ MPG readings. Some lower plastics do look cheap and its a shame as this is a great car.

keith goodwin, June 4th 2008

• Average MPG 0 mpg

Having done just over 2000 miles since taking delivery, I am very impressed with this new Mazda. Load space is superb, and the access is excellent thanks to the tall rear doors, clever seat dropping mechanism and the huge boot with no daft lip inside the rear door. There are a few places where the materials used are not great but its nothing show stopping, and having owned a Volvo V50 2.0D SE Sport for the last 3 years that had 15 trips back to the garage with faults that never got resolved I am sure it will be more reliable that that! The drive is nice, and the 18" wheels dont seam as effected by the centre numbness I found on the demo car which had 17" alloys. Stereo is ok but has to be played with to get it to sound its best with way too much coming out the centre speaker and the sub in the boot floor needing cranking up although I would sacrifice the sub for a proper spare tyre instead of a pump and some goo. The seats are sporty and firm, you dont sink into them like the Volvo armchair seats but I knew that when i took the test drive. Economy is never going to be great on a car this big but I have noticed a gradual increase in economy to an average 48mpg over the last few tanks of fuel. Also the engine is now loosening up nicely and feels much livelier than it did when i first got the car. Overall very impressed so far and think the car is great value for money.

Craig Churm, Derbyshire, May 21st 2008