TDI 245 Quattro S Line Plus 5dr Tip Auto

Really love this car - it's my second Q7, but just can't afford to keep buying new tyres - I bought the car 14 months ago, have covered 15,500 miles, and have just had the car serviced and been advised that I need another complete set of new tyres - this will be the third set that the car has had since new, so it's averaging around 8,000 miles a set on it's 21 inch wheels - it does 95 % of it's work on motorways, mostly on cruise control - at just under Β£1,000 a set, this is no joke, and I have, albeit reluctantly, come to the conclusion, that I can no longer afford to keep it. What makes it worse is that, in between the two Q7's I had an X5 (which I didn't like) which covered 40,000 miles, having just the front tyres replaced at 32,000 - when wanting to go back to the Audi, I asked the main dealer if Audi had solved the Q7's excessive tyre wear problem and was assured, with absolute certainty, that this had been sorted out, and I should get comparable wear to the BMW !

mark watts, March 17th 2015

TDI Quattro SE 5dr Tip Auto [8]

Fantastic car! The changes on the 2011 model make a massive difference and I can only assume that nobody at What Car has actually driven this car or lived with it for even a short period. It is packed with great technology, which makes Long trips effortless. Playback of my iPhone is via a great Bluetooth set up, the sat nav is great, the adjustments for off road or sporty drive can be left to switch automatically depending on your terrain and driving style and the fuel economy goes to over 40mog on motorway trips, unbelievable for a car this size. The issue with the tyres (like all premature tyre wear) is down to keeping the tyres inflated to the maximum pressure. It's a little annoying to have to keep checking the tyre pressure every few thousand miles but I have done almost 10,000 miles so far and the tread depths have hardly reduced.

Gerry Brennan, Derbyshire, November 26th 2011

TDI Quattro 240 S Line 5dr Tip Auto

I Have had this car now for 10 months 08 plate after 6ooo miles i needed 2 new front tyres (outside wear)and was told the same thing (im going round too many roundabouts)Rubbish. I had to pay for one of them and audi paid for the other,the dealer had my car for 5 days to do the realinement of the wheels?,i thought problem over,after another 4ooo miles 10,000 miles in total in a new car i need 2 more tyres for the front again, and at Β£200 per tyre that is if you buy them privatley and not from audi Was quoted up to Β£350.00 each. i dont care how nice this car is, i will be looking for a different make if audi do not put this problem right,Next stop Solicitor/then WATCHDOG, Watch this space

steve snell, essex, February 12th 2009

TDI Quattro 240 5dr Tip Auto

Generally I change my car after 6 months & having owned numerous 4WD's incl. Disco's, BMW X5, Toyota LC Amazons, Patrols & 4 Volvo XC 90's, the Q7 is as Tina Turner would say "simply the best" Fuel economy is amazing for a large vehicle (av. 29.5) & on steady trips 34+ is possible. First service at 19000 miles was Β£240 & despite covering 28000 miles I still have 3.5mm left on the front tyres & 5mm on the rear The quality of the BOSE sound system is truly quite remarkable although the AUDI GPS can be quite frustrating; why travel 200 miles when you can do 230? I have resorted to back-up with TOM TOM on long journeys. In contrast to other reviews, York Audi have extended unprecedented levels of customer service. I have 2 criticisms with the Q7; firstly due to the height of the boot floor luggage space is very poor compared with similar vehicles. Like other Q7 owners we have had to purchase a top box to accommodate the holiday luggage. We can't even erect the dog cage due to insufficient height. Secondly, Audi have failed to recognise that there is a large area of windscreen between the driver & passenger sun shields & we are constantly being "blinded" by low sunshine in this area making driving at best uncomfortable & often dangerous. That said, the Q7 is to date unbeatable & 11 months after taking delivery could not \ would not contemplate changing it.

David Smith, North Yorkshire, December 8th 2008

TDI Quattro S Line 5dr Tip Auto

Brilliant car. It drives like a car and feels like a car and maybe that's why tyre wear has been an issue. I had mine replaced at 10k by Audi and have put on 10k since. I also had the tracking checking and raised the tyre pressure to 40PSI - I can happily report that all is well with the tyres and after 10k I still have 5.5mm tread on the fronts. Since most Ford Mondeos will soon be paying Β£400pa road tax I don't feel quite so bad now. I'd rather have a Q7 at that price tag. Fuel economy is reasonable for such a big car - sorry 4X4 - just feels like a car - I am averaging overall 27.8 mpg - but will admit to more M,A roads than B roads. And the good news if you want one - now is the time.

Charles Dowie, South Yorkshire, October 6th 2008

TDI Quattro 240 S Line 5dr Tip Auto

great car, i drove loads of 4 x 4 and people carriers before getting my q7. late 08 just two weeks old but great to own and drive. everyone said whos been in it, what a fantastic ride, kids love the loud cd player and black windows.alway leaves me smiling. if you need a big car with bags of room and travel loads of miles this is the car for you, miles are effortless and i just don,t want to get out.!!

tony perrett, surrey, September 27th 2008

TDI Quattro S Line 5dr Tip Auto

The best car I have ever owned. Period. People knock it for poor fuel economy but I have veraged 28MPG over the last 12 months and 29000 miles - not bad for a mixture of A,B,Motorway and central London. Around town is 22MPG ish but a relaxed motorway run goes up to 34MPG. As a tip try driving in manual mode on A roads as it improves economy no end. If you want 40MPG+ dont buy a big bus like this. Tyres - yes I have had to replace them, the first set of fronts went at 12K and were replaced like for like with goodyears. They went again at 28K but have now been replaced with a set of Generals (yankee SUV tyre on the recommendation of my local independent tyre fitter). I put a pair of these on the rear at 15K and they are still going strong at 30K so the fronts should fair the same way. As others have said , make sure the PSI is correct to aid long life. Overall the car is excellent, does what it says on the tin -quick, comfortable and more space than you could ever need. .. Still is a bu**er to park in some multistoreys though!

paul smart, September 14th 2008

TDI Quattro 240 S Line 5dr Tip Auto

I purchased this vehicle and after 3 weeks it had an engine failure. It was recovered to a Audi Dealership where it took approx 3 weeks to find out what was wrong with it. Audi customer services was involved and their involvement was very poor. After my experience i rejected this vehicle on the basis that after spending the good part of Β£50000 i am not prepared to accept this vehicle. Now i tried communicating my rights as a customer and the attitude of Audi was "tough, this is life and they tried giving me the waffle of warranty." After my experience i am devastated with the way i have been treated. A company of such high repute and eager to take my sale, however their after sales service is shocking, based on my experience Audi told me im not entitled as a customer to a refund or an exchange. What i ask what car is "where is my legal standing in this, what are my rights, can i demand a full refund?"

mohammed assam, South Yorkshire, June 14th 2008

TDI Quattro SE 5dr Tip Auto

I owned a Q7 for about a year, lovely car, no where as big to drive as people think, safe, secure and well made, customer service was good, BUT, tyre wear in only 7000 miles all the tyres were finished, and even though Audi replaced FREE I decided time to go, afterall, I would need atleast 2 sets of tyres a year, Road tax would soon be Β£455 a year and I was only getting 20-23 MPG on a school run of 30 miles (car was the 3.0 TDI), so I took a 10k hit in one year and sold the car. After owning Jags, Astons, Ferrari's, Porsche, Lexus SUV's and Land Rovers, I can say it was the best built car, but the tyre wear is going to cost Audi big time, fix teh issue or lose clients by the bucket, don't buy one yet! Wait for a fix, I still love Audi and brought the A3 TDI 170 BHP.

Martin Kulin, West Sussex, May 21st 2008

TDI Quattro S Line 5dr Tip Auto

I was wondering as I am planning to buy a 2007 model from an AUDI dealer and was told today that the problem with the tyres has been solved and a recall has been made. Has anyone else heard this as this is the only thing stopping me from buying this car? Regards Paul

paul patience, May 8th 2008

TDI Quattro 240 S Line 5dr Tip Auto

Audi KNOW there is a tyre wear problem, they have a policy to deal with it - if you complain before 10k miles, they will replace tyres FREE. More miles, less contribution, over 15k is zero. I love the car, but am very upset with Audi's customer service on this topic - it warrants a recall to all owners. The rest of it it beautifully put to!ether and looks fantastic, can't fault it apart from the tyre issue and Audi's lack of information on that at point of purchase and since....

John Carey, April 30th 2008

FSI Quattro SE 5dr Tip Auto

I have a 4.2 V8 Q7 2007. I also had the problem with tyre wear but have solved the problem by ensuring that the tyre pressures are spot on what it says in the book, since then I have had no probs. The pressures seem very high and are a pain when going off road but all in all the Q7 is a great car. The only problem is that I can't get the Diesel Version in the UAE as the diesel is very high sulphur and would wreck the engine in a matter of weeks.

Jerry Markham, April 28th 2008

TDI Quattro S Line 5dr Tip Auto

Like everyone else who has a Q7: tyres, tyres and more tyres. Car has been in for several problems, boot lid, diesel smell in cabin and protruding door handles. All done in good time by Audi. Very nice ride although Audi really must address the tyre issue. Mine has had 4 tyres with 15k on the clock.

Kelvin Blackwood, Durham, March 19th 2008

TDI Quattro S Line 5dr Tip Auto

I have owned a Q7 3.0 TDI SLine since October 2006. My previous car was an Audi A6 1.8T SE and I was contemplating another when I took a test drive in a Q7 mid July 2006. I was delighted with the look and handling/drive so ordered my Q7. I have friends who have BMW X5's, Land Rover Discovery'S and Mercedes ML's and all say they wished they had the Audi Q7. I have driven 17500 miles had one service which was reasonably priced and will change the brake pads in approx 2500 miles time. My only criticism is that I am about to put on the third set of tyres. as with other reviews I have read, it is the same old story, the tyres are all wearing on the outside 20% of the tyre. This cannot be a correct wheel set up, so come on Audi, be truthful to your loyal customers and put out a recall as you did for the boot release problem.

David Mullins, December 31st 2007

TDI Quattro 240 S Line 5dr Tip Auto

We bought an 07 demo with 6000 miles, at 9,900 we noticed both front tyres were virtually bald! We took it back to Audi who said it was our style of driving, after a few "discussions" the car was took in to check. We were told that the wheel alignment was out and that it was their problem but we would have to pay for the two new tyres! After another discussion they agreed to pay a percentage of the cost. After another discussion they agreed to meet all costs. (my husband is a solicitor!) So I would suggest anyone out there with similar problems, stick to your guns and they will have to deal with the obvious problems. Other than that the car is a real pleasure to own and drive

Jane Hughes, Lancashire, December 28th 2007

TDI Quattro S Line 5dr Tip Auto

Low budget airlines eat your eat your heart out, for years now I have shunned driving long distances in favour of air travel etc, but then came the AudiQ7, I took delivery in September 07 having traded in my Porsche Carrera ( strange change you may think ) and I can honestly say thaat of all the cars I have owned over my motoring career which spans some 35 years and 29 cars the Audi Q7 has brought back the joy of driving that I experianced during the early years of getting on the road. This car will have you regretting journey's end, it is the closest I am sure you will come to feeling totally cosseted in a cocoon of luxury and safety. Next year's annual pilgrimage to southern europe will for the first time in many years be undertaken behind the wheel of the Q7, and not as has been the case of recent years starting with a 2 hour queue at airport security!!

Simon Thurston, Hampshire, December 27th 2007

TDI Quattro S Line 5dr Tip Auto

I love my Car- Q7 3.0TDI S-line - 21 inch alloys, Tech +Comms Pack, Adaptive Light, Lane Change Assist, Panorama glass. I have one major problem with this car, the Sat Nav. You can only input 4 characters of a post code, then you must type in intersection, street name etc (makes things tricky when finding an extra urban destination). Apparently this is a UK thing, as we (and our 150Β£ tom tom's) use granular post codes, and they don’t on the continent. Other than that the car is very slick, with everything working exactly as it should. One tip for someone wanting music is buy the Audi Music interface (200 quid) and get the USB cable (forget IPOD) - couple that with a 60Β£ hard drive from PC world, and your Q7 can have 200 Gb of music of a hard drive all controlled through the MMI ! The AMI isn’t just IPod - Windows Media, and other formats work too If you buy the S-line (20 inch tyre) or the optional 21 Inch tyre - I would recommend the comfort pack (memory mirrors and key etc) as it is too easy to scratch the rims on curbs. The memory mirrors auto-dip in reverse showing you the curb to avoid this damage. As for the tyres take it to Audi, and they will meet you some of the way towards tyre replacement, they have technical memo circulating around the dealerships from Audi authorising them to meet you some of the way (though they admit no poor design in tyre department) My tyres are fine (but they are 21 inch - not the 20 on S-line or normal 18 on base model)

Fred Baumhardt, Berkshire, December 17th 2007

TDI Quattro S Line 5dr Tip Auto

Currently driving a BMW X5 I was looking to replace my car for a new X5. However the price of the new car was so much I decided to look at the Q7. Boy am I glad I did! What a car! I test drove a 3.0l TDI SPORTLINE. Hence my new car is due in Mar 08. Very impressed with the specification and presence of the car. Drives like a saloon and muc better equipped than the X5 for the price. I was quoted Β£48k for a fully loaded spec inc tech and comms pack etc etc.. Managed to haggle a 6% discount which will offset the running costs which can be high. My X5 only does 23mpg and i hope to squeeze 30mpg out of the Q7 based on some other reader reviews. I cant wait untl March!!!!

peter BARLOW, lancs, December 16th 2007

TDI Quattro SE 5dr Tip Auto

I have just reached 27,000 miles and am about to fit a third set of tyres! The problem is the old favourite "wearing on the outer edges!!"When the power steering belt snapped whilst doing sixty on the m40 I mentioned this to Audi who said the tyres were under inflated and maybe I drove it hard!I feel that this is the only fly in the ointment as I drove 23,000 miles in a Range Rover and the tyres still looked as if they would do a further 23,000. At an average Β£150 a corner it is not good enough to be fobbed off with such throw away remarks. My friend has a 4.2 Q7 and at 11,000 is looking at new tyres. Apart from that it is a great vehicle and I would not hesitate to buy another.It is comfortable, practical and averages mid 30's, though I may put some of this down to going from 0 to six points in it within a month!

ANTHONY SHERIDAN, WARWICKSHIRE, November 22nd 2007

TDI Quattro SE 5dr Tip Auto

This is just the world’s best car! I have driven from London right up to Fort William in Scotland at an average 50 MPH and got 40MGP that’s right 40!! The sat nav new every turn and re-routed me around rush hour Glasgow saving me time and money. The boot took all our camping gear and the electric boot a grant bonus when your hands are full. The air suspension coped very well with a rugged road just set it to lift and let it do its work. It was plenty of room for my two boys 12 and 15. The diesel has so much power and is very quite also I got the Limited Edition which was the 20 inch wheels are under Β£200 each and Heated & electric memory sports front seats are great for my wife's bad back! I’m so glad that I bought this car after moving up from a A6 2.7 S-Line as my son has been nagging me to get it for ages I’m so glad I got it and looking forward to owning it. Just buy this car all the rest and poor choices!

Douglas Kirkwood, England, November 11th 2007