Leasing: the essential checklist
* Avoid the hit of depreciation... * ...just be sure to read the small print * Follow our guide to leasing a car...
Don't lease a car until you've run through this checklist.
• Do plenty of research to find the best deal and a legitimate leasing company. Find accredited firms at www.bvrla.co.uk and www.fla.org.uk.
• Choose a car with good resale values to counter the cost of depreciation to the lessor. This should mean lower repayments than a car with low residuals.
• When agreeing your mileage limit, be realistic about how far you expect to travel. Youll be charged a penalty fee for every excess mile driven.
• Read the lease terms and conditions carefully before you sign.
• Look after the car as if it were your own. Clean it regularly and check for damage.
• Get any damage to the bodywork repaired as soon as you spot it to prevent more damaging corrosion.
• Keep and make copies of all service records, MoT documentation and receipts, particularly for replacement parts.
• Before you hand the car back, get it independently inspected (the AA or RAC can help) and have any damage repaired.