WhatCarAwards banner - desktop

In association with MotorEasy

Least reliable family SUVs

Family SUVs might be bought for their style and practicality, but they also need to be dependable. So, which suffer the least faults and which spend half their time in the garage?...

Nissan Qashqai

The five least reliable family SUVs

5. Nissan Qashqai diesel (2014-2021)

Reliability rating 86.6%

Diesel Qashqais suffered almost twice as many faults as petrols: owners told us 38% of their diesels went wrong, compared with 18% of petrols. The battery and bodywork caused the most concern, but there were also complaints about the air-con, engine and electrics. The good news is that 65% of cars were fixed in a day or less and 70% of costs were covered by Nissan. The remaining owners had to pay between £51 and £500 for each fault. 

Read our full used Nissan Qashqai review >>

4. Peugeot 3008 diesel (2017-present)

Peugeot 3008 front - 69 plate

Reliability rating 85.2%

Nearly a third (29%) of the diesel 3008s we were told about went wrong, with suspension issues the most common complaint. Although three-quarters of cars could still be driven, 60% of them lingered in the garage for more than a week. The only saving grace is that 87% of work was done for free, leaving only 13% of owners with bills ranging from £101 to £1000. 

Read our full Peugeot 3008 review >>

3. Range Rover Evoque (2019-present)

Range Rover Evoque 2019 front

Reliability rating 82.6%

Electrical issues plague the current Evoque, accounting for 30% of all faults, followed by bodywork issues that affected a further 15%. Land Rover footed the bills for 96% of cars, and its service departments managed to fix a third of cars in a day or less, but another third took more than a week to put right.

Read our full Range Rover Evoque review >>

2. Jaguar E-Pace (2017-present)

Jaguar E-Pace front

Reliability rating 80.6%

Faults are rife on the E-Pace, with 45% of cars going wrong. Bodywork, interior trim and sat-nav issues were the most common gripes, but a high proportion (11%) of owners reported engine problems. Repairs were free in 97% of cases, but just over half of the faulty cars were at the garage for more than a week.

Read our full Jaguar E-Pace review >>

1. Range Rover Evoque (2011-2019)

Range Rover Evoque (2011-2019) front three quarters

Reliability rating 77.1%

What went wrong? Battery 15%, bodywork 15%, non-engine electrics 15%, sat-nav 15%, air-con 10%, brakes 5%, engine electrics 5%, exhaust 5%

With many cars outside their manufacturer’s warranty period and a fault rate of 40%, the picture looks bleak for owners of older Evoques. Just over 80% of work was done for free, but some owners shelled out between £301 and £750 per repair. Plus 59% of the faulty cars spent more than a week being fixed.

Owner’s view “My car has suffered a number of problems, including engine oil dilution and paint flaking off some of the exterior trim”

Read our full Range Rover Evoque review >>

Page 2 of 2

Also consider