President Obama's request for a hybrid-powered limousine have been turned down by the US secret service, according to the New York Times
The reason isn't that the 'men in black' are climate change sceptics, but rather the weight of the armour-plated presidential limo makes it an unfeasible project.
President Obama said: 'The secret service said no. Now, the reason is not because the secret service are bad guys. Its because the cars that Im in are like tanks.
'They just couldnt get the performance in terms of acceleration using a hybrid engine.'
The 'Beast' that can't go green
The President's limo is officially called Cadillac One, but is nicknamed the 'Beast' because of the numerous safety modifications required to protect Obama and its 8mpg fuel consumption.
The extreme modifications include:
• Armour-plated doors that are eight inches thick - each weighing the same as a cabin door on a Boeing 757 airliner.
• The boot contains an independent oxygen supply and advanced fire-fighting system.
• Defence systems include pump-action shotguns, night-vision cameras and tear-gas cannons.
• Supplies of the President's blood will also be kept on board in case he needs emergency medical treatment.
• The petrol tank is armour-plated, while also being filled with specially designed foam to prevent it from exploding if the armour is penetrated.
• The tyres are Kevlar-reinforced, puncture- and shred-resistant, with special steel rims that allow the car to continue being driven even if the tyre is missing.
• The bodywork is made up of a combination of dual-hardness steel, aluminium, titanium and ceramic material to help break up projectiles aimed at the car.
• Cadillac has provided cars to America's presidents since Woodrow Wilson, who needed a car to ride in during a World War 1 victory parade in 1919.