* The kit you'lll need to carry abroad... * safety and driving laws * 16 most-popular destinations covered...

Author Avatar
Pete Barden
10 July 2012


Here's what you'll need to know when driving in Belgium. Don't forget to carry a form of photo ID, such as a passport if your licence doesn't include a photograph. The drink-drive limit is lower than in the UK at 50mg, rather than our 80mg per 100ml of blood.

Road deaths per 100,000 of population. UK average 3.1 (2010):
•7.6 per 100,000 of population

Minimum age for drivers
•21 to rent a car

Maximum speed limit

•120kph/75mph (the minimum speed on motorways is 43mph)
Open roads:
Urban areas:

Alcohol limit per 100ml of blood

Equipment required in car
•Warning triangle
•Headlamp converters. These are stickers on your headlights, which prevent oncoming motorists being dazzled by UK-configured headlamps
•Reflective jacket. Must be worn if drivers stop outside built-up areas
•A fire extinguisher is recommended
•A first aid kit is recommended

Documentation to be carried
•Full British licence (if it's not a photo version, you'll need another form of photographic ID, such as a passport)
•Original registration document, or hire-car paperwork
•Motor insurance policy

Exterior markings
•A GB sticker unless 'Euro-plates' are fitted

General requirements
•Seatbelts must be worn by all vehicle occupants

On the spot fines issued

Radar detectors
•Forbidden, however sat-nav systems with speed camera locations are permitted

This information is intended as a guide to driving in the aforementioned country, but is not intended as legal advice. It is the driver's responsibility to ensure they follow national driving laws.