Government wants more car sharing
* Transport Minister promotes scheme * Survey reveals just 1% take part in formal schemes * 61% do give lifts, however...
The Department for Transport has called for businesses to promote car sharing, after releasing the results of its first survey into the scheme.
Transport Minister Rosie Winterton said: 'While the research shows that informal car sharing is popular, it highlights that formal schemes run by employers are still in the minority.
'I encourage employers to consider whether introducing a car-sharing scheme for their organisation could help them reduce their carbon footprint and provide quicker, more-convenient journeys for staff.'
The survey revealed:
• 61% of participants had taken part in some form of car sharing in the past month
• 28% got a lift once a week
• 25% of the journeys were work-related
• 1% were part of a formal car-sharing scheme