MPI 60 S 5dr

Plus Points: 1) 1.4TDI is responsive and thrifty, it can grumble a bit when working hard but will cruise quietly. It has presence, not intrusion. 2) Comprehensive range to 'toys' fitted as standard. 3) More headroom than the old model. 4) Capacious boot Minus Points: 1) Rear door to seat clearance for those with adult sized feet 2) Top seat belt mounts not not adjustable. 3) Nasty plastic door 'cards' on a Β£16k car.

Stuart Moon, Devon, March 16th 2015

TDI PD 80 Ambiente 5dr

Love this car, went from a Audi A4 saloon to this Great fuel economy, seven years old and still getting the estimated 60mpg during town driving Only fault i've had to date is that the window winder's motor has a known fault (not worried as it's being covered under warrenty) Would recommend this car to anyone who wants a cheap runaround!

Ashley Arthur, dorset, March 25th 2014

1 5dr

Well designed and spacious but is starting to develop more and more faults. First a clunk every time the car goes over a bump which the garage have been unable to identify or fix and now the oil light coming on only three months after the first major service. Also vibrating parts in the cabin spoil the ride further. Worst of all however is the steering which is just plain odd and unpleasant. The car is not living up to the owners reviews I have read!

Adrian Pinnock, Hants, January 29th 2014

TDI CR GreenLine II 5dr

I have had the Greenline II for 2 years now with absolutely no problems at all to mention. The interior isn't fantastic but everything is well built and feels chunky. Headroon has always been an issue (being 6'5")in cars but with the Fabia theres loads of space. Even with the seat fully back you could get a child in the seat behind. As for ride and handling, the Fabia Greenline isnt half bad, it irons out bumps and potholes, seats are easily comfortable for long journeys, although an arm rest or higher centre console would have been nice. At motorway speeds it is a little noisy but is far from uncomfortable. It's a very frugal car if driven properly. For example, at 80mph it does about 55-60 MPG but my daily commute of mostly motorway miles is a 60 mile round trip, reading the road and using the brakes as little as possible and using the gears to slow the car rather than coasting followed by the clever start/stop system I have had an average of 78-81 MPG (60-70mph). If you drive the Fabia like you've nicked it then you'll still get about 45-50mpg which is still not bad. As for performance, obviously it's no sports car, but once you put your foot down theres plenty of torque from the three cylinder engine to perform an overtake and still pulls well on the motorway. Overall as a small car its perfect, large boot, roomy, spacious, and when driven sensibly running costs are low. An added bonus of the three year free servicing gives you peace of mind as well as the Β£0 road tax.

Andrew Livingstone, Cheshire, October 14th 2013

TDI CR 90 SE 5dr

This is my second Fabia 2. Previous model was the 1.9td 3. Excellent fuel economy , performance & equipment but the ride was spoilt by the 16" tyres. The old pump duse engine was vocal at start up but smoothed out when on the road. Changed to the 1.6CRSE (90bhp) for the lower car tax bracket (B). The rides has improved leaps & bounds on the smaller 15" tyres. The engine is substantially quieter & can be barely detected as a diesel at times. The performance has not dropped markedly despite having 15 horses less than the model it replaced but has lost the last models easily provoked torque steer if you were too heavy on the accelerator. Fuel economy on my 76 mile round trip to work over A roads is a little over 60mpg. Cannot recommend this engine for users on short urban commutes. It has a diesel particulate filter which fouls up on short start/stop journeys & needs a good twenty minute motorway run to burn off the residues when the warning light comes on. Failure to do this will lead to hefty repair costs.On the whole the car is way better than What Car's three star rating. As an ownership prospect it's hard to fault being the roomiest car in its class & excellent value for money. The handling is safe rather than involving (the tall stance & soft ride to blame).

David Rae, North Lanarkshire, April 22nd 2012

TSI 105 Monte Carlo 5dr

I've had my skoda for 6 months and it has been great. The black trim, roof, and wheels really make the car look loads better than the standard Fabia, which looks a bit bland. After having a Citroen C2, the Skoda feels like it has been built by people who care, and know what they are doing. It feels properly screwed together, and have had no problems whatsoever with it so far. It drives beautifully, and the power from the 1.2 engine is a miracle of technology. Don't expect to get near the fuel economy figures though. Driving like a saint still won't get you to the average. I must admit that I did consider the Diesel version, but the jump in price seemed excessive to me. This spec takes all the great parts of the Skoda Fabia, but adds the icing on the cake. Go and take that test drive, and see what I'm on about. It also looks better than the VRS.

Stephen Broome, shropshire, March 21st 2012

TDI PD 3 5dr

I have had this for four years. Its great, but the aircon has never worked. Its a company car, and when skoda get hold of it they seem just to regas it and return it, - not working, - they can't tell whether its working because its seldom hot enough to notice Am I the only one? It shifts like anything and is tight and rides like a much bigger car. mileage has never been better than 45mpg Pity its like a sauna on a summer's day I notice they have stopped making it, - I wonder why? -I guess because the VRS is out.

Rod Rod, August 5th 2011

16V 2 5dr

This is my first Skoda, my son having pipped me with a 'mark 1' estate which has been 100% reliable for 4 years. My Fabia is very quiet as it is the 105ps petrol. I think it's unfair that often the car is criticised for being noisy - the diesels are but the petrols are not! Mine does over 40 mpg on a regular basis even on a 25 mile daily commute from the outskirts of London into Herfordshire. One reason I chose it ( apart from the reliability reports ) was its ability to seat upto 4 adults in comfort. Indeed I have regularly travelled in the back for upto 2 hours comfortably. Inside it has good storage spaces and is easy to drive, would have liked to afford the '3' spec with cruse control etc but this is one fine car. I've been in the Motor Trade over 40 years and during my time in Car & Van hire got to drive a huge variety of cars so feel qualified to give an opinion. Many friends still ask - 'you? a Skoda?' but when they look further realise that there are excellent reasons why there are now waiting lists for most models. The motoring public at large are discovering one of the finest quality turnarounds in motoring history.

Alan Warwick, Middx, April 29th 2011

16V 1 5dr Tiptronic

further to previous posts. am STILL getting wind noise from front drivers side window. am taking it back to the dealers tomorrow so they can have another go at fixing it. it happens whenever the car goes above 60 mph. apart from this the car is great.

mark dyball, February 16th 2009

TDI PD 80 Sport 5dr

I dont usually write anything on the internet, I find its for people who like to argue, and I dont but... 3 out of 5 for THIS car!! Plastic quality? sloppy gearchange?? I understand every one to themselves but really what car did you guys drive. Am 19 and I was lucky enough to have the chance to buy a new car. And the choice is incredibly, new corsa, new fiesta, new clio, polo, ibiza it goes on, so parting with a great amount of cash, i looked at all of them. All fell short at the mark am afraid, the new Corsa is really quiet badly put together which shocked me, and the fiesta lacked grunt, new clio nice but its french, polo is a fabia, and if I had to be shot the fabia is much better screwed together, and has more space. The engine is the same as the late vrs but minus 1cylinder, its charcter is very much like the old vrs, as my dad used to own on! Insurance is cheap, Tax is Β£35 and 53mpg with a good amount of right foot action! I could go on but 1,500 characters is not enough. Also not sure on the sloppy gearchange I Could rant about that, but i shall not, am not going to spend anymore time, saying how epic this little car is, infact am going out, to drive is, with its poor plastics, bad engine, sloppy gearchange, ugly looks and bad badge. lucky for me ive not got that fabia, ive got a truly wonderful one!

Richard Moss, February 14th 2009

12V 1 5dr

This is actually concerning a MK 1 1.2 12 valve. Never ever buy one. The dealers have got too big for their boots. They think they are VW and are charging VW prices. I have owned Skodas for 10 yrs and have watched the decline. It is no longer a cheap option for a car. Service used to be first class when the dealers were smaller but now they have fancy, shiney new showrooms I think they have lost the personal touch. Also, I am tired of telling people "its really a VW under the skin" people will never get rid of their badge snobbery. Everyone looks down on you for owning a Skoda, I am sorry but it's true. Skoda, get back to your core principles of giving value for money. Stop acting like VW/AUDI and get back to what you used to be. People looking for value do not need fancy showrooms etc, they want a personal touch. Also, the car never gets near its' quoted mpg and be prepared to replace ignitition coils at regular times. They are a common problem and go without warning, then your car loses all power, just hope it doesn't happen on the motorway!

mark campbell, east lothian, January 28th 2009

16V Comfort 5dr

Nice little car - generally reliable, good mpg, relatively responsive engine. The main niggles have been the engine & the engine management system. The latter went through a phase - age around 4 years - of constantly bringing the light on but dealer could find no fault. Eventually stripped engine down but still no answer found. Seems to have solved it, but doesn't run quite as well now - as long as SuperUnleaded is used. Heating also gets very hot and takes an hour to cool down, so not great if you suddnely feel too warm!

Chris Bragg, December 22nd 2008

12V 2 5dr

Bought this model after a 1.2 64hp Classic Mk1, an improvement in every way over its predecessor so far except one-fuel consumption.This is expected to improve as the car has covered only 7500 miles to date and VAG engines need a fair few more miles than that to give of their best.As this is a level 2 trim model there are a few more creature comforts,but where the new model really shines is the significantly increased interior space and boot space.I feel that handling is slightly improved,but there was not a lot wrong with the earlier model anyway.Along with a good dealer,the whole 'package' is one I would recommend to anyone.

jonathan Boddy, Berkshire, December 1st 2008

16V 2 5dr

Affected by the economic downturn I decided to change a mid sized family car. This would save me tax and petrol. It seems today that much of the research and development by manufacturers is being concentrated on the super mini class. So good are these cars that they are making life difficult for cars in class bands above them. For instance why buy a Focus when you can have the Fiesta or an Auris instead of the Yaris. I had seen a Fabia parked in the street and thought what a smart little car it looked. Very modern with a toucch of class. After looking at most of the superminis I road tested a Fabia 2 and duly impressed placed my order. Having driven the car for about three weeks my initial impressions have been confirmed with the major benefit being the excellant ride quality and more space than you would expect. Add the quality interior to the excellent economy and you have a car well suited to modern times. My only complaint is the lack of an outside temperature gauge. For those contibutors who complain about the light steering specify the 16" wheels from the Fabia 3 which cures the problem. I studied most of the competition and from what I can see the Fabia presents very good quality for the price asked. Skoda are certainly no longer a joke - just look at the new Superb. Perhaps when times get better.....

Robin Brittain, West Midlands, October 10th 2008

TDI PD 130 vRS 5dr

I Bought this car new in nov 04.It has been without doubt the best car i,ve ever owned and always puts a grin on your face whenever you drive it.The only gripe is the light coulored seats a bit of a pain to keep clean! I normally only keep a car for 3 years but nothing comes close to replacing it.

martin Brockbank, cumbria, September 27th 2008

TDI PD 130 vRS 5dr

The car to drive is BRILLIANT value for money The car standard 7/10 within its class. Expect an average 50mpg absolute MIN 35 mpg driving around town. 0 to 60 mph you’re looking at late 7s and tuned late 6s early 7s. This is an excellent car to modify! Specialist a must to remap and tune it. Avoid cowboys horror stories are out there. I recommend using JABBA Sport. If you have a custom remap (Mines at 172Bhp & 428Nm torque ) with uprated clutch, larger air intake and green panel air filter with a rear Jabba anti role bar the Audi TT brake upgrade and lowered suspension including springs and dampers you will turn your brisk Fabia VRS into breakfast eating BMW machine. A max cost of Β£2500 ish putting it right up there with cars that would set you back Β£20,000 spanking brand new for that performance. You can get the Fabia VRS up to and above 250 BHP and 530Nm of Torque but you would need to invest a further Β£3500 The only car I will now buy is going to be the new Fabia VRS to be released in 2010 as everything else I have looked at just doesn’t compare in value for money, practicality, and looks. Every time I drive it, I smile and most standard BMW's Honda Civic Type R's and Renault Megane sports on a motorway don’t stand a chance (Remapped) if you're in the right gear. In my opinion, it’s priceless and gives me great satisfaction knowing I've got great value for money simply because of a badge!

karl kraus, August 29th 2008

Classic 5dr

My first car had to be reliable enough for me to maintain, safe (I was not an experienced driver), and comfortable enough to do the 40-minute commute to school in. In the reviews and from what I’d experienced, cars usually driven by people my age (Peugeot 206, Vauxhall Corsa, Renault Clio) didn't quite fit the bill. Reviews of the Fabia were all complimentary, and I warmed straight away to its mature image and style. I promptly bought a 2003 1.2-litre, (said to be particularly reliable) in basic Classic trim. The drive is remarkable - the 54bhp engine, for all its lack of outright speed, is quiet and very willing. The handling is crisp, and body lean is kept in check despite an exceptionally fluid ride quality. The car will happily carry five people at speed, and quietly, too. The cabin is solidly constructed, but the design is fairly uninspiring. A little silver trim wouldn't go amiss! With such unstable fuel prices it's useful that my Fabia will travel 43 to 47 miles on each gallon of unleaded, even though I seem to rush everywhere, I feel safe in it; I’ve been crashed into at around 30mph by a 1996 Jaguar XJR, and despite needing major repairs, surprisingly it was my car that survived the crash, not the Jag. However, on pre-facelift models like mine equipment is sparse. I’ve no central locking or electric windows, but this is remedied on newer models. But in short, the Fabia is supremely comfortable, cheap to run, and a pleasure to own - I'm chuffed to bits with it!

Benjamin Fyson, Hertfordshire, August 23rd 2008

TDI PD 130 vRS 5dr

I bought a 2004 Vrs at 2 1/2 years old.It is remapped by Star Performance from knew and is running about 175 bhp. Car had 22k on the clock when I got it and from about 34k I have noticed the clutch slips a little at low revs if the foot is down. If remapping, an uprated clutch is advised but costs from circa Β£750 fitted. I do not drive the car hard but at 40k on pulling away casually at lights my turbo blew. Skoda quoted me Β£1400 fitted for a new (standard) one! (Car was 9 months out of warranty). An uprated turbo actully came in cheaper than a standard one from Skoda and got a stage 2 Turbo Dynamics turbo fitted by Star Performance. Audi TT discs and calipers fit straight on for increased stopping power. Circa Β£250 fitted. This turbo will take upto 300 bhp in theory. Obviously this would not be possible to put through the front wheels and I know of a few cars running 260 bhp. Anything near 200 bhp needs a bigger intercooler to keep the temp down. Had the car over a year and a half and a day does not go by where I do not love driving it. Still get 45 to 50+ mpg when driven conservatively. Β£220 insurance too is great. Agree that the cabin isn't the most exciting but combine VW reliability, fuel economy, insurance and even standard performance, this is a fantastic car. Light grey seats are difficult to keep clean as seem to pick up stains easily. I am less than Β£150 for a service at my Skoda garage too. I would only change it for a newer Ltd Edition blue one.

Ally Kale, Stirlingshire, August 22nd 2008

16V Sport 5dr

We ordered the 1.6 Fabia Sport in June and have just taken delivery. We have traded in a Ford Fiesta and I have to say are very impressed. The ride is solid, the MPG excellent, 42 mpg within two days of driving on country roads, quality of build much better than ford and the look of the car in bright red is excellent. People have stopped to look as they are so taken with the car. Only gripe - no floor mats - we thought we had agreed with the dealer mats would be supplied, when we picked up the car no mats. For a Β£12K car I can't believe that Β£25 rubber mats are not supplied as standard, who would drive away a brand new car and not include mats? We also own an Audi which is why for a 2nd car we looked at Skoda, when you get behind the cabin the indicators, lights are all the same as an audi so we know the quality is there. Don't be fooled by the brand anymore, it is up there and should be considered as you get more car for your money.

SARAH JACKSON, August 17th 2008

12V 2 5dr

Having owned the Mk1 Fabia all I can say is that Skoda seem to have improved on all areas for the new car. It is very spacious for a 'supermini' and will easily cary four tall adults and a boot full of luggage. The 1.2 12v engine is brilliant and feels much more powerful than expected even with a full load, its very lively as well easy to rev and sounds great. The engine also seems to get better as the miles pile on, nearly at 6000 now and have averaged arount 44 mpg using brim to brim calculation. The ride and hadling are also very good with plently of grip and nice turn in. The only disapointment is that the suspension can be a bit noisy over poorly surfaced roads probably the result of less soundproofing to save weight. However, the overall view is that the car feels very comfortable and sophisticated especially for such a low price.

David Garlick, July 25th 2008