GL VVT 5dr

Bought this 134k 01/X car for Β£800 from a local backstreet dealer. Wanted a cheap runaround for town use. Bodywork a little tatty but nothing too major. Engine and interior fine, A few faults that I will fix myself with breakers-yard parts, e.g. broken passenger window motor, worn passenger window sealing strip, broken aerial, noisy heater fan, one failed rear speaker. Handling is great. Think old-school GTi. Very little body roll despite height. Steering very vague and you need to concentrate to stop it running wide on fast corners. Can catch you out if you turn too fast on a roundabout. Clutch is imprecise (although mine needs changing). Gearbox can be notchy in 1st and 2nd. However, smooth enough in higher gears. Driving position excellent (me - 5'9" male, Size 9 boots to drive in). Seats excellent. Interior practicality excellent. Best drinks holders/storage I have come across. Good headlights. Poor sun visors. Indicaors on right stalk which is a pain. Very bad urban ride. Crashes into potholes and over speed-bumps. However, very good to excellent on smooth roads. Indicator stalk self-stops too readilt. This, plus the steering makes you have to concentrate at junctions/r'bouts. However, out of town, it's a hoot. 1.3 VVTI engine is a gem. Revs hard and can sound great. Faster than you'd think. Cruises in 4th at 30MPH! Acceleration fast when revved. Looks better than most superminis. Big boot when seats down. Hard-wearing interior. Brilliant heater.

Ralph Rye, Berskshire, April 7th 2011

GL 5dr

I inherited my 53 plate Ignis in September 2004 with only 4000 miles on the odometer since then I have added another 51632 almost trouble free miles myself. The car is used daily for the 40 mile round trip to work and back and has never let me down. The rear seats fold down to make an almost van size load space, 600x 600 kitchen apliances are easily accomodated and I have found the roof bars with their detachable rack to be more than capable of hauling the odd flat pack wardrobe home from IKEA etc. I have had only 4 small problems with the the car. 1.The rear screen demister has not worked since I have owned the car but in fairness I never bothered to try to find out why. 2. The off side front wheel bearing failed at only 35000 miles (cost Β£95 00 to be replaced along with MOT test at local garage) 3.The exaust hanger hooks corroded from the otherwise sound system the exhaust now hangs from two jubilee clips (cost Β£2.50 fitted ) 4. the ABS light comes on and stays on at any speed over 35 mph I took the car to my local Suzuki dealership to be diagnosed on their equipment (cost 48.00 )fault identified as failed off side front wheel sensor cost to replace the complete drive shaft joints etc. Β£440.00 fitted, the parts it seems are not available seperateley. Altogether the Ignis would never have even been on my list as a day to day runaround but it has proved to be a most reliable and usefull tool indeed.

michael patterson, durham, April 6th 2008

GL 5dr

I purchased my Ignis 5 dr 1.3GL new in 2002. I have covered 36,000 miles.The negatives are It does give a bouncy ride on rough roads, strong cross winds can make the steering twitchy,rattly passenger seat when nobody is sitting in it.Positives are nothing has gone wrong with it and it has never let me down.Its a great little workhorse.Getting in and out of it is easy and loading in the rear door is also very easy.Running costs are low.It seems to be one of those cars you love or hate,I love it and so does my wife.Looking forward to buying the next one.

keith ware, essex, December 2nd 2007

GLX VVT 4Grip 5dr

This is my second ever car and it's a joy to drive. Looks like a baby Range Rover, very sturdy. Excellent acceleration, very quiet engine. Only gripe is that it can be heavy on the petrol consumption. Looks the bizz though and out performs a lot of other cars on the road

Cath Bacon, November 18th 2007

GL 5dr

We bought this car, a 1.3-litre model, two years ago and the car is a delight for the money. Sure, we would all like to cruise around in a BMW X5, but for the cash you can't beat this nippy wee motor. We have given many a so-called more powerfull motor a clean pair of wheels at the lights. It's OK, get one and find out.

david chandler, west dumbartonshire, July 31st 2007

GL VVT 5dr

I have owned this car now for a year. It is fun to drive and very comfortable, and it is cheap to run on pertol, as my last car was very hard to run. I used to own a Ford Fiesta Finesse and it gave me nothing but trouble. Finally I have found a car that I love. Well done, Suzuki!

colm Fearon, May 31st 2007

GL 5dr

I had this car for about two years and i owe my life to it. I had a really awful crash on the M25 and flipped the poor ignis over and rolled it across the motorway on its roof. Firstly i couldnt beleive i was still alive and secondly, when i went to the pound to get my possesions from the car, i couldnt beleive how well it looked! If you want a cheap, funky, friendly and most importantly safe car, choose the ignis. The little thing is so sturdy, for the scale of the crash i had it looked pretty damn good. this tough car saved my life.

chloe rivers, middlesex, May 28th 2007

GL VVT 5dr

Fourth gear on the example I drove whined like a husky with the runs. With the air-conditioning turned on, this car (although it's only a 1.3) would probably run the Middle East dry by the end of the week. As for clutch's biting point, I suggest Suzuki engineers take a moment to look up the words 'smooth' and 'progressive' in the Oxford English Dictionary. At low-speeds, the suspension in crashy, while steering feel is largely non-existent. It's clearly a clever car, though, as the central locking seemed to have a mind of its own. The acoustic quality of the stereo (and I use that term loosely) is put to shame by the children's favourite - two baked bean cans linked together with a piece of string. On the positive side, it's cheap, has decent levels of accommodation and is surprisingly well-made and rattle-free. Getting from A to B, then, won't be a problem with the Ignis - but if you're looking for some sort of driving pleasure, then Suzuki's cheap and cheerful offering falls well below the mark.

Julian Takacs, West Sussex, June 12th 2006

GL 5dr

I have owned a 2002 1.3GA (basic model) from new covering about 20,000 miles. I have owned a number of Japanese. cars but none have given as much fun as this one. For a 1.3 it is quite nippy and it always has enough power for motorway use. If you are looking for a cheap car with a bit of character - unlike the Corsa/Fiesta - go for one! My only gripe is that the ride can be firm but don't let this put you off it. I may even consider another one or maybe the new sx4 in 2006. Well done Suzuki!!!

JASON WORTHINGTON, cheshire, November 10th 2005

GL 5dr

A practical car with good performance. Wind and engine noise are not a problem but there is significant road rumble. Build quality seems good but inevitably it can seem somewhat tinny. A Wagon R/Agila might seem better value but the extra apparent width is appreciated. The central LED display is difficult to read/not bright enough. Fuel tank capacity could be larger. Suzuki genuine accessories seem rather poor quality. Good equipment levels. Rear storage space could be better but the back seats can be set more upright - the rear parcel shelf is poorly designed. Fixed rear seat base does not fold forward so load carrying capacity is more limited than it could be. Wider tyres would be appreciated and the standard wheeltrims leave lots of black painted steel wheel on display. Gearshift could be better - light but not positive. Handling good. Secondhand prices can vary significantly. A diesel version is available in other markets and should be sold in the UK too. Bodes well for future Suzuki models but the current version would have been even better with a little more design input.

Chris Chapman, August 13th 2005

GL VVT 4Grip 5dr

It is hard to reach a conclusion on this car - it has a split personality. On the one hand, the ride is poor, it dances around over rough roads and shudders at every bump. Fuel consumption is woeful for a car of this size - typically 25-35mpg and pulling away from standstill is always a challenge in case the engine stalls (although it does improve with practice). On the other hand, it is incredibly practical on a day-to-day basis. The driving position is a little higher than normal traffic, the interior is well thought out and useful, and there is a lovely sweet spot above 3000rpm when the VVT kicks in and you get a burst of acceleration. I recently spent a few days kayaking in Donegal, Ireland and the car works brilliantly. The four-wheel drive and ABS are there for reassurance on slippery surfaces, the roof rails with optional cross supports took the boat well, and the rough ride begins to make sense as you hurtle along uneven narrow back roads. As a supermini this car is probably compromised in many areas but as a baby 4x4/SUV it starts to make much more sense!

John Stuart, April 1st 2005

GLX VVT 5dr

This car must have the worst suspension of any car I have owned in the last 10 years. The springs and shocks are poorly suited for the type of roads in this country. Most bumps in the road can be felt, and if I inadvertently hit a pothole, it means a trip to the dentist to put my fillings back in! The engine has plenty of power high up the rev range but very little low-down torque and you need to rev the motor when pulling away otherwise it stalls. (So much for VVT). I have had the car back to the dealer on a number of occasions but they say it is OK. Well it may be OK to them but personally I consider the handling to be awful at certain speeds, with the back end wanting to go a different way to the front. I have only owned the car for four months but will be selling it soon, if I can get a reasonable price for it (which is doubtful). If any Suzuki dealers have a solution to these problems, I would like to hear from them!

Paul Sampson, Northumberland, January 23rd 2005