VVT-i Hybrid Icon 5dr CVT Auto

Well we have had out little Yaris just over 4 month now and have to say we are loving it. It replaced out 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CDTI as we no longer needed such a large car or a big diesel lump. We were looking at the Yaris Hybrid and Kia Rio 1.1 Diesel but decided on the Yaris because of the 0% offer, and I fancied the technology. We are a small family with 2 young children (2 &3) so are loaded up with car seats etc. Our Civic around Cornwall would average between 48-52mpg so we were pleased when we were getting between 58-62 mpg with the Yaris. Yes that is no where near the claimed figures but I knew not to expect those. The car is great for around town seamlessly switching between electric and internal combustion, and the CVT box is great for its smoothness, so much so my wife feels less car sick! Though it is a bit noisy at motorway speeds it is fine around town. We have took the car on a couple of motorway trips and found that the fuel consumption drops below 55mpg on these types of roads when sticking to 70mph, so if you do lots of fast roads you might be better off with a Diesel, peak speed to keep mpg high is around 55mph any faster and it drops quite a bit. Sometimes it does feel like it could use a bit more powerful battery and electric motor combo, as it can cut to the petrol engine quite quickly, and then that doesn’t seem to have much torque. But saying that cruising around town at 30 and below the battery is fine and does a grand job, and once up

Stephen Williams, August 13th 2014

D-4D TR Nav 3dr

Brilliant car. After a disaster ownership experience with an Audi A1 and abysmal dealership service it was wonderful to get into a toyota. The car does exactly what it says on the tin - the engine is brilliant, torquey (for a 1.4 D4D) and fuel economy is really good. Yes the engine is a little clattery but there's not so much technology jammed in here that its constantly at the limits of operating. Performance is good - acceleration great joining motorways and going up hills. 55mpg in traffic - 65 on motorway. Would i recommend it absolutely - Β£20 road tax / 5 years warranty and a dealer who's open / honest. I paid Β£11k for mine with 12 miles on it (Dec 2013) - i'm up to 3K miles already and haven't looked back. The stereo for a toyota is reasonably good and i like the 6 inch touch display - integrates with the iPhone / iPod connection and the interior whilst bland is fully functional (Coming from the audi which was a lovely place to sit.) In all honesty if you want reliable / comfortable / good performance (plenty of torque) / price you can't really go wrong - the old school diesel engine really impresses and i'm very pleased.

Simon Newton, Hampshire, March 20th 2014

16v VVTi GLS 5dr [AC]

I bought a black yaris 3 years ago, simply as my second car to run around in work. It is aging now, but still for a little motor it is still going strong. its ferociously economical, has lots of room , quite comfortable and by far the most reliable car i have ever owned. it is a 2000 model, and has already covered 148k! i have had little problems in the last 3 years with just: new tyres (at Β£40 each), a coilpack replacement (Β£50), a replacement exhaust backbox (Β£75) and it only ever broke down once- a dead battery. it is a wonderful and reliable car, not the best looking, but certainly hasstle free driving, they are cheap and the Toyota legend for reliability in a Yaris lives on.

rennie lee, February 2nd 2014

VVT-i TR 5dr

Moving from a Ford Fiesta to this I was initially disappointed. At 6'2", the car is uncomfortable to drive with a poor range of adjustment in the seat and especially limited adjustment of the wheel. The mechanism to adjust the seatback angle is very irritating as it moves in steps rather than an infinitely adjustable rotary wheel. No step seems to be comfortable - either too upright or too relaxed. The car is however, very easy to drive. The controls are all very light, visibility is good with large door mirrors and a large glass area. There is reasonable storage in the cabin and a good sized boot for a car this small. The 1.0 engine is very slow and needs to be worked hard. It regularly struggles up a steep hill close to my home in 1st gear and feels out of it's depth on the motorway with the car twitching nervously. The heater is very slow to warm up and the dials look very cheap and nasty. Some good points though include the excellent sat nav, mobile connectivity and reversing camera. An excellent system that is easy to use and saves this car from mediocrity. The car is not suited at all to motorway driving, however around town the light controls, fairly composed ride, visibility, small dimensions and excellent sat nav make it an ideal companion. The engine is rarely out of it's depths within city limits too. Not an excellent car, barely a good one - if you get one make sure you get the sat nav/reversing camera and possibly try the larger e

Ewan Wallace, Argyll, January 15th 2014

3 VVT-i T Spirit 5dr

What's there to not like about this car?

Stephen Nicholls, Wiltshire, December 3rd 2013

VVT-i T3 3dr

I have only had this car for a few months(bought used at dealer)but already I find myself largely in agreement with the majority of previous reader reviews.The car is very lively for a 1.0 litre,a fact which I believe is largely down to being a 4-cylinder engine,instead of a 3-pot which seems fashionable these days(had 2 3-cyl Fabias previously).The overall gearing is a little on the low side(3800 rpm at 70mph)which makes for busy-sounding motorway driving but,on the other hand,the car hold its speed well on upgrades,and feels nippy around town.It is a doddle to park,and has plenty of room for its size.Mine is a 3-door,and whilst this is adequate for my needs as I am the only occupant for 95% of the time,I would recommend a 5-door for those who need to use the back seat regularly.I regularly achieve 48-52 mpg,but it would be easy to see rather less in the hands of a less sympathetic driver,not least because of the low-ish overall gearing.Overall,I would recommend the Yaris as a sound second-hand buy,with the usual caveat regarding service history(mine came with documented Full Dealer service history and only 19000 miles,despite being 8 yrs old).In short,I am very pleased with the car,which has lived up to its reputation well.

Jonathan Boddy, Wiltshire, September 25th 2013

VVT-i Hybrid T Spirit 5dr CVT

I lease my cars and my last two were Honda Jazzes. This time, I found that the Toyota Yaris Hybrid was cheaper to lease. The Jazz was very good, but so is the Yaris. I’ve done only 5000 miles so far but there have been no problems whatever. The Yaris has been criticised for its ride and handling, but so has the Jazz. Apart from a slight tendency to ground on speed-humps the Yaris is fine. Performance with the 1500cc hybrid is perfectly adequate. The only major downside to the Yaris is the smaller boot. But the rear seats can be folded in one action, albeit without leaving a flat floor. I miss the electrically folding door-mirrors of the Jazz. But the Yaris has a proper spare wheel not a useless foam inflation bottle; a reversing camera and a touch-screen with SatNav, ISB and Bluetooth compatibility that works very well. I agree the windscreen wash-wipe system is good, though it does use a lot of washer fluid. Even the Toyota salesman told me not to expect 80mpg from the hybrid! I use the car almost entirely around London in the rush hour, and I have been getting about 52 mpg. When I got the car it was still winter, and I registered 47mpg; but I had the heater turned right up, so the electronic management system tended to keep the petrol engine running at traffic lights to generate heat. So I wonder if an automatic engine stop-start system makes more difference to mpg than a hybrid system. On motorways (when the electric motor stops) I have been getting about 60mpg.

Adrian Roberts, Kent, September 16th 2013

16v VVTi GLS 3dr Auto [AC]

I needed a cheap, basic small car for stop start driving in city traffic. Bought the 1.3 auto and for 2 years have clocked up about 30k miles.. It's quiet, responsive, easy to drive, power steering and a/c are good...Built in radio with tape player can be changed via ebay..All I have spent is the usual tax & MOT, 2 tyres and 2 oil change. I found that I ran out of space in the small boot, but as I only ever have myself and one other in the car I removed the back seats (4 bolts and easy to do), turned it into a small van and haven't looked back. I can pull away from the lights and leave some sports cars standing (and upset), however they soon catch me up. All I can say is after 30 years of driving this has been one of my best investments.

les maddams, surrey, July 23rd 2013

VVT-i Hybrid T Spirit 5dr CVT

This Yaris Hybrid is a surprise- it's a much better car than the reviews would have you believe. It's not that fast at the top end so if you're motoring mainly comprises 0-60 sprints or high-speed long motorway journeys look elsewhere. So what's good about it -well it's very quiet and smooth (so much better than the Prius I drove as a hire car), it feels suprisingly solid and nimble and the packaging is excellent. Also it is fun to drive as the ride and handling are pretty decent and it really feels more than the sum of it's parts somehow. However the real achievement of this car is to put this technology in a supemini size car for the same price as it's much more conventional competitors ( eg Polo Bluemotion) which feel light years behind in technology to me! Of course it's very clean and gives good economy (depending on how you drive it) and the running costs are very low ( no road tax no congestion charge etc) but it is undoubtadly another step forward by Toyota who are showing their competitors the way in technology.

Peter Malkin, January 11th 2013

VVT-i Hybrid T Spirit 5dr CVT

First impression was that its a very well put together machine. I bought this on the strength of the claimed economy of up to 80mpg. Well thats just not true. My best so far is 64mpg which isn't too bad but I guess thats a result of the idiotic EU tests that we all must follow. Ride is a little harsh but previous experience with the continental tyres it came with, has proven once they are changed it's much nicer to live with. The stop start technology feels a little weird but it just works, same with the hybrid system. You start off on Electricity and it's hard to tell when the petrol engine is actually on as it's very quiet. Ease off the throttle and the petrol engine stops completely so all in a VERY clever system. I would like it to have a beefier electric motor and more battery storage, it is all hidden under the back seat and makes no intrusion into the cabin. It's easy to live with, well equipped and economical with zero road tax. Could this be the perfect car? No but it's close. The Toyota Touch and Go system as fitted is more sophisticated than the Nissan connect system I had previously. But perhaps less intuitive. Easily making phone calls via Bluetooth, streaming music and connecting to your Ipod. Navigation, traffic messages etc all easy to use but you'll need a smart phone to get the best from this. On the road performance isn't as swift as the numbers might suggest but when you need kickdown it delivers if a little noisily. Happy owner gives a 9 /10.

Howard Bowen, Essex, November 5th 2012

VVT-i Edition 5dr

I am delighted with the Toyota Yaris. Compared to some of the other supermini's I looked at the build quality is superb, with door shuts and seams including those under the car clean and tight. Inside the materials used are of a good quality, not as good as some of the more expensive competitors, but as good as those cars of a similar price, and the functionality and practicality of the car is first class. Driving wise it does lack power (I have the 1.0), but for city journey's or even longer but non motorway journey's it is fine. Economy is good, perhaps excellent when considering the car is not yet run in. I like...best windscreen washer I have ever seen, looks great (really suits silver BTW), good space in front, back and boot I dislike...relative lack of power, but acceptable if kept to shorter journeys

C Malin, Northamptonshire, October 9th 2012

VVT-i T2 5dr

After owning a brand new fiat punto evo for the past year and half, and my time was up on hire purchase. my parents bought me a 2007 yaris. At first i was thinking its a bit of a old persons car as i am only 21, so i would of been even happier with a ford fiesta. (i sound very spoilt) loads of room in the car, but there is no height adjustment for driver seat. which is very annoying and uncomfortable, but you learn to live with it. there is loads of cup holders and storage throughout the car. the engine... well what engine it can get nippy through some gears, but not very good when your trying to enter the motor way, you HAVE to leave it high gear to gain speed. its so hard to say with this car, i do and i don't like it. you do need to get higher spec with alloys blah blah to make it look a 'nice' car. It has clever back seats. but i can honestly say doing 80mph it feel quieter, steady, and more in control than my brand new fiat. the fuel economy is good. put a tenner and do about 80 miles. which fuel being 132.9... its not bad at all. its saying I'm doing 47-48mpg, but i have a heavy foot, so I'm sure if i drove it like a saint i would get over 50mpg. overal I'm half and half with this car, i like it... and i don't... yes i know don't make sense... but its hard going from a beautiful looking car.. to a boring toyota.. i will learn to like it in time.

jamie smith, essex, February 19th 2012

D-4D T Spirit 5dr

I have owned the yaris since 2005 - so six years as I write. It's used for a mix of urban and country traffic with occasional long runs. My wife requires a car easy to enter and exit so it's ideal and very comfortable. Fun to drive and easy to park so driving is a pleasure. I've added rear parking snesors so supermarket car parks are a doddle. Quiet when cold, only noisy above 70 when wind noise is an issue. With current high fuel prices, I cruise at 70 and avoid the noise.. Lots of interior space and can carry myself , wife and 3 grown up children with no struggle. Boot space is OK for shopping but with only two in th car, fold down the rear seats and we have carried: several pallets, a tumble dryer and a deep freeze.. but not all at once. Ride? OK except for broken surfaces and potholes. I am adept now at judging road surfaces to avoid bad ones.. the rear jitters on them. Fine on smooth roads. Running costs are superb. It averages 61mpg with mainly urban use. On long runs 70mpg if you keep below 70mph.. I DIY which is simple and easy.. each service with oils and dilters costs under Β£50.. Things that have gone wrong: New disks and pads after I bought it - prior owners lived near sea and lots of corrosion on disks.. now none. And anti roll bar droplinks and bushes wear. pattern parts cost under Β£25 (Toyota Β£50) and are a doddle to fit. It has had new tyres : they last approx 30,000 miles and the aircon regassed . Apart from that it has been faultless.

Michael walker, staffs, July 8th 2011

VVT-i T Spirit 5dr

A very good car. Excellent hassle free motoring. I have the automatic version, which does need to be worked hard. The MPG is not great, get 35MPG around town, and about 45MPG on the motorway. The audio system is not great, even with steering controls, it does not naivgate between saved stations, but goes to next available frequency. Also the rear wipers have no intermittent setting, just on & off, seems bizzare. I owned a T plate Yaris before this & that had the same audio & rear wipe configuration. You'd think they would remedy the issue. Rear space is excellent for the space of the car. Overall I know that I will get years of hassle free motoring as with all the other Toyota's I have owned.

Sunny Singh, Essex, May 3rd 2011

VVT-i T3 5dr

I bought this car second hand shortly before the 3 yr old warrenty expired, and have been somewhat disappointed. First the ABS went, Toyota replaced it out of the goodness of their hearts given that it's a manufaturing fault (otherwise it would've cost around 1500). Then my whole air conditioning system broke, cost of replacement 750, Toyota said it's just one of those things. Then the check engine light came on, car would go into neutral mid reversing into a busy road, or simply wouldn't shift past neutral on start. Toyota said at first, the problem was listed as a manufacturing fault with the clutch on their system, and they would make enquiries as I may not have to pay. Then on investigation, called back and said it was normal wear and tear on the clutch - cost 1250 as it's an automatic. Became suspicious and got and external garage to check it out, the very same Toyota dealer told them it was matter of fact a broken tranmission (faulty manufacturing part Toyota knows about), this in turn damaged the clutch. Both needs to be replaced at cost - 2000. I understand Toyota has the chassis number of all cars with the faulty parts. I just wanted to warn people to please be careful when you buy this particular model (mine is often recalled for inspections but they don't tell you why). The paint on the car is also beginning to rust already. Toyota have acrossed as shady to me now. I will be switching to Mazda.

gaynor walsh, March 22nd 2011

D-4D T3 3dr

I have owned a 1.4 D4D Yaris T3 for two years and I am selling now only because I am switching to something a little more sporty - a Celica. This little Yaris has been absolutely legendary. Covering 65,000 miles between myself and my father it has been totally faultless. Keep up the servicing and use good tyres and you're onto happy days. I had the clutch master cylinder changed purely because it was making a noise and this was done under warranty. Driving is a breeze. It does understeer terribly but this is only if you push it a little. It is great on the motorway and superb in the city due to its size and nippy turbocharged diesel. Boot space is kind of limited. But the back seats can be rollwed forward, or flatened for extra space. It really has served our family well. Fuel economy is outstanding and it will be sorely missed. 65mpg and Β£35 a year road tax is not to be sniffed at. All in all a superb car which is a strong contender for the ultimate cheap all rounder.

Joshua Bennett, February 16th 2009

D-4D SR 5dr

I purchased this car June 08 after having a 07 reg Rav-4. Doing 30,000 miles plus a year and the way the diesel prices shot up, it was with much regret that the Rav had to go quite sharpish. Marshall Toyota Peterborough were excellent and with the Rav having covered 40,000 in just over a year, a cracked front bumper through playing dodgem cars, chipped front windscreen and needing a major service, Marshall offered me a straight swap on a brand new Yaris SR. Despite feeling a lot more intimidated on the road due to a lot smaller size, the Yaris has been brilliant. 60+ mpg and not really that slow, it is an excellent small motorway cruiser. The standard kit on the SR is excellent, the radio with removable tom tom and bluetooth have been a must, although teething problems with the tom tom meant being out of action for 16 weeks! The only bit that wasnt built by toyota and it breaks!! A great car, good running costs and Β£35 a year tax. Well done Toyota.

stephen burrow, cambs, February 14th 2009

VVT-i T Spirit 5dr

I have owned my 1 litre Yaris 5 door for just under a year now. I am a mobile hairdresser and use this car everyday. I love this car and its never let me down touch wood! It uses hardly any petrol I fill it right up and it costs Β£35. Which seems to last 2 weeks. Its got plenty of room and goes well and will do 80 mph comfortably. The only thing I would say which is not to good is it struggles up hill if you have a passanger/s but its got a very small engine for a big car. The build quality is spot on, I have a sunroof and its never leeked and a/c which I think every car should have. Its not dead cheap on insurance but its not that bad either.

rebecca anne dey, mid glamorgan, January 8th 2009

VVT-i TR 5dr

Manual Gearbox hopeless, especially when cold. Which seems to be a common theme. Very reluctant to engage 1st, 2nd, 3rd and reverse. Changing down particuarly from 5th to 4th also can be very hit and miss. So far it has had a new clutch, gearbox rebuild (which took 4 weeks) and after Toyota intervention a new gearbox.....and its still rubbish. Other gripes include creeky streering column and a boot hatch that opens at a snails pace! Dealer and for that matter Toyota UK's attitiude very indifferent. Car now nearly 18 months old and very much a dissapointment. So much for Toyota's reputation which was one of the reasons for buying the thing. In a word cr*p

Dave Bridgewater, January 2nd 2009

D-4D T3 5dr

I have owned 5 Toyota cars (all from new) in the past 10 years(previously had larger, more expensive cars) and changed to the diesel Yaris in 2006 after a scary experience in the petrol model when I was blown across the motorway in a gale. The diesel model is superb,obviously heavier than the petrol Yaris but actually much more responsive than the Corolla T sport which I had in 2004, nippy around town and comfortable on long journeys, good on corners (and doesn't budge in high winds). In the first year I was getting 50 to 55mpg but now I get 62 -65 on long journeys at an average speed of 75mph and once got 72mpg when I was driving south with a north wind behind me.The boot is rather small but I knew that when I bought it and I do, in any case, often use the option of creating a flat load space by lowering the rear seats. I sometimes carry up to 4 large passengers and even the one who is 6ft 3ins has plenty of head and leg room. Comfort on long journeys, fuel economy, low emissions (119) and reliability are important factors for me and I would heartily recommend this model. I have never needed to take any Toyota I have owned to a dealer/garage for anything other than fuel and servicing.

Lindy Turner, Northumberland, December 29th 2008