Taking your car abroad: tips for driving in Europe

Taking your car on holiday gives you the added freedom to get around, but you’ll need to do some preparation beforehand to ensure your road trip goes smoothly...

Taking your car abroad: tips for driving in EuropeImage 1 of 11

Driving your car through mainland Europe gives you the opportunity to really explore the countries you pass through. It also means you won’t have to spend hours in crowded airports and ensures you’ll be able to get around once you get to your destination.

However, there’s a lot to think about before you set off. In addition to getting your car serviced and its tyres, wipers and fluids checked before you go, you’ll need to think about a number of other areas. Does your car insurance and breakdown policy cover you outside of the UK? Do you need to modify your car and do you need to stock up on specific equipment to take with you so you stay legal? And do you have the money to cover fuel and toll-road charges?

Follow our top tips to make your driving trip a journey to remember for all the right reasons.