d M Sport 4dr

After two Jaguar XF's and all the 'characterists' involved with owning one, I moved back to BMW. I wanted adequate power, safety and economy. The 330d X-drive auto ticks all those boxes and then some. It's comfortable, quick when needed to be and economy is acceptable to me averaging over 40 mpg in mixed driving. I never believe manufacturers mpg figures anyway. It isn't as habdsome as the XF but it has better build quality, Sat Nav and entertainment system. There are no odd noises as in the Jaguar such as a whooshing'hoovering' sound between 1200-1800 rpm as in the XF neither is there any thudding from the rear when the fuel tank is full. You get the feeling that engineers have designed the BMW where the Jaguar, good as it was in parts, seemed to have 'made do' with some items. I would recommend this model to anyone without fear of them being disappointed and with a face lift due mid 2015 there are some great deals to be had on saloons. Go and get one.

Philip Taylor, Cheshire, January 28th 2015

d xDrive Sport 4dr

My first BMW after numerous VWs and I have to admit to being disappointed. Its an average car, not a great one the way the reviews seem to suggest. The plus points: The auto gearbox is really quick for a conventional box (but not as quick as DSG) and doesn't have the low speed shut the DSG suffers. Great nav and media system ( but it's an Β£1800 extra) Solid, quality feel of dash and instrumentation is beautifully clear. Great long distance economy (60mpg+) Good performance. Lots of interior space Comfy seats ( but no better than the VW) Comfortable cruiser. The negatives: The suspension is under damped in the standard car - the demo car I drove had the optional adaptive setup and this is absolutely essential if you want decent handling.if I had the choice again I'd have paid the Β£800 but really you shouldn't have to. The engine is horribly rough at low speeds. The vibration when using stop/start makes me switch this off and lose the economy benefits. In town economy poor (35-40) Grip from the run flat tyres poor and negates benefits of 4wd. I will have to buy winter tyres when the snow comes.. The Sport's "leather" steering wheel feels like plastic - the MSport has a nice gripy one but that isn't available as an option on lower spec. No folding rear seats(again an extra) Tyre pressure sensor useless in winter. The BMW apps interface is awkward. Bottom line is there is a good car in there but you need to spend Β£40k to get it and there are better cars fo

Dave Stanley, December 25th 2014

d EfficientDynamics 4dr

Ignore what others are saying about MPG. The facts after 22,000 miles are: When you are trying 80+ MPG A leisurely cruise 75+ MPG Normal long distance 70+ MPG Mixed 60+ MPG Short distance and hard acceleration 50+ MPG You can get this to 50 MPG within a couple of miles from cold. Exceptional As most people looking at reviews will be company car drivers, things you should know: It accelerates faster than most company cars (8 seconds, quite achievable) It is more economical than most company cars BIK is okay (good CO2 figures, but relatively expensive list) Standard equipment is odd, good specification in some ways, annoying in others (+ = PDC, auto lights/wipers, dual zone climate, iDrive, lowered 10 mm - = worst stereo ever, non-foldable rear seat, no storage, analogue iPod connector, 16 wheels look... well, just look at them) Standard suspension is merely adequate, weight transfer between fast sweeping bends is noticeable No LSD, so doesn't enjoy getting the back end out particularly If it is your own cash, buy a better spec version! If it is a choice between this and a Passat or similar FWD white good, get this.

Mark Jones, Lincolnshire, July 31st 2014

d Modern 4dr

Odd all the magazine rave reviews: 2013 model: Having not driven a BMW for 14 years I was keen to see how they have moved on, not a lot as it seems Good points: Looks good, its a BMW Outstanding fuel economy 70mpg on long journeys Comfy seats Bad Points: Very noisy road noise, need to turn up radio even at 40 Thin hard steering wheel, cheap plastic bulbous airbag cover Cheap interior, feels like a Kia. Example hard plastic on the door pulls, central console in some tinny silver Lid on cig lighter is hard to lift, then gets stuck under the top and you have to hook it back down with a fingernail No satnav? instead you can stick a cheap unit with trailing wires to the screen - very executive I cant get the temperature to link. I have to twiddle one knob, then the other to get both zones the same. Engine 320d has no top end, it changes up at 4250 rpm. Seats all manual in operation - very 70's In summary, its not for me, it feels well behind Merc/ Audi, who have really got the interior quality sorted, esp the steering wheels, soft chunky leather. But as an economy car, its a good idea, as its basic and cheap to run. So if I was not obsessed with the last word in comfort, it would be a good choice.

pete simms, May 26th 2014

d EfficientDynamics 4dr

This was my first BMW and I had high expectations given the WhatCar rating and the brand image of the car. However, I have to admit to be slightly disappointed. Firstly, shouldn't the doors close with a pleasing clunk rather than a bang, such as they did on the VW Passatt I had prior to my car being delivered?! In addition, the air con is loud and the fans rattle - they have checked them several times now and have told me they're fine. And whilst on the subject of noise, I have never known such a loud engine. I appreciate it's a diesel but surely there must be a way to dampen the sound. The car might be quite quick but I'm reluctant to push it because of the racket it makes when I do. The road and wind noise on the motorway is also extremely intrusive, so much so that people have commented on it when they've been in the car with me. I think BMW are relying on image to sell their cars. When my company car is due for renewal I will consider my choice more carefully.

Chris Shepherd, Greater London, February 23rd 2014

d EfficientDynamics 4dr

Must say I'm disappointed overall with my first BMW Coming to the end of a 3 year lease /75000 miles on this car and it's very average at best for me The good are Good driving dynamics Solidly built It's been very reliable Reasonably economical.....early 50's mpg The bad are Very little kit for your money unless you spec it up Seats are appalling.....no support laterally and plenty of movement when you go round a corner...even with lumbar they are shocking.... Boring image I think compared to what you can get for your money elsewhere this isn't value for money Currently looking at a volvo s60 business edition which has extras over the 320ED and has a much lower list price and more kit as standard for your money To summarise the bmw just didn't give me the wow factor and wasn't all that.....or it could be that other car company's have caught up and raised the bar even but somehow it wasn't the ultimate driving machine for me at all

john shackelton, October 30th 2013

i Luxury 4dr

ACTIVEHYBRID 3 Bought 12 months old and with 6k on the clock. The activehybrid 3 is a fantastic city car with the electric motor adding 10% -15% improvement in economy and more power as with F1 Kers ! Underated by the press who live in fantasy land, in the real world the activehybrid is a 335i auto with limo like luxury and a softer ride which suits it's city use speed bumps and pot holes are handled with the standard suspension far better. boot space the boot floor is just 1 inch higher at the rear which is totally negligable you lose the two under floor storage pockets "big deal!" It's a brilliant to drive super quite and smooth on electric. It weighs the same as a 335i with 1 extra passenger wow. big deal yes new they make no sense but secondhand they're a total bargain Bought mine for the same price as a similarly speck'd 328i 320d crazy ! extra 2 year warranty on the hybrid parts and at Β£425 5 year servicing it's a total no brainer at under Β£30,000........ Brilliant only BMW can make a hybrid which is faster than the standard car.

Tim Beard, September 11th 2013

i SE 4dr

I bought nearly new with just over 1000 miles on clock. I have had BMWs stretching back over the last 25 years and all were an improvement on previous models. It is a magnificent beast with phenomenal acceleration, handling, ride and comfort. What a joy, this has every conceivable extra and is a great toy. Amazingly new options are always coming out on newer models, but I can't see how any new car can improve on this for sheer driver satisfaction. My average consumption is 40 mpg which was OK - new models especially smaller engines are much more efficient. This has been thoroughly reliable over the last three years and I have started to look at replacements, which will include the RR Evoque and Merc. Just put car in for new brake pads, but released back without payment by the garage as they found all OK and just reset the computer. They found a small oil leak which I am glad about. It was just out of warranty so they did not charge for part as a goodwill gesture - now that is unheard of isn't it. This has run flats but they are much softer than last model and are much more comfortable for rear passengers. They wear out too quick though and replacement costs are serious cash. So driving into crater sized potholes is definitely bad for your wealth. This car has not cost me anything apart from tyres and depreciation, so I am very pleased. The What car valuation worked in my favour, so please use it if part exchanging. I might even hang on to it.

Terry Conway, Essex, May 18th 2013

d EfficientDynamics 4dr

I bought my well equipped (professional nav, xenon adaptive lights, sports 8 speed auto gearbox, heated leather, privacy glass, comfort pack) 320D Efficient Dynamics as a nearly new 1,650m car. Having covered 4,000m more, overall I am very pleased. Keeping it in Eco pro mode most of the time it gives 55 mpg in mixed driving and provides a relaxed ride due to generous torque and a smooth gearbox, yet switching to sport mode the car changes its character considerably and you can then have a tail twitching time on twisty roads. Passengers comment how smooth the ride is and most peoples' initial reactions are more about the apparent size and space of the F30 model 3 series compared to previous versions. The professional nav works very well in practice, as does much of the other technology, I run my iphone through the armrest usb port and this is pretty good, although navigating between songs can be distracting at times. The adaptive headlights & main beam assist are busy but effective. My only negative comments are; 1. standard audio setup is very poor and expensive to upgrade after delivery, 2. imo the non sport seats are only adequate as they have no squab tilt or lumbar adjustment, 3. I find the 16" wheels & low rolling resistance tyres lack sufficient grip to hustle along really quickly on winding routes but I am still getting used to rwd after a 17 year period driving fwd / 4wd cars, so perhaps it is my courage that is lacking rather than absolute levels of grip!

Ian Laight, March 29th 2013

d Luxury 4dr

My first BMW and it certainly lives up to the hype. I have the optional adaptive suspension and auto gearbox which results in a creamy smooth drive which can be either extremely relaxing or exhilarating depending on how you wish to drive it. For me the best points are the drive, adaptive headlights and the cabin. The worst points are the cost of optional extras, the heated rear screen and wing mirrors which take an age to clear, the reversing lights which may warn other drivers but do not light up anything and the speedo which is obscured by the steering wheel (may be the way i'm sitting). These are all minor gripes and all-in-all I am very happy with the car.

Neil Geddes, Fife, December 19th 2012

d EfficientDynamics 4dr

I have had the car since April and Having had the previous 3 for a while I must say overall it is a much better car. Space & economy have been significantly improved. It is now truly a family friendly car. The only -ve's so far are:- 1) needs optional adaptive suspension to beat previous model's excellent ride & handling. 2) std radio is truly awful (if you like music get an upgrade: and while you are at it get DAB radio). Otherwise it is an excellent choice; superb quality, refined, fast and economical. Just had it's 1st service at just over 22,000 miles with no problems. BMW service has been excellent at Milton Keynes dealer. I have seen over 70mpg regularly on long runs, 60mpg at constant 80mph is normal. Overall, the best car I have owned so far.

Earl Mckoy, Northants, October 12th 2012

d SE 4dr

Major problems with my 2006 diesel automatic - latest Turbo charger failure. Also had hydraulic unit replaced last year. Overall finish is poor. Very disappointed with the after sales and customer service - none. Expected much better reliability. You pay significantly more for a BMW - partly for the peace of mind that the car is well designed, built using the best components, built to last and with the best after sales service. This has not been my experience. Beautiful if you don't run into problems but if you do BMW does not want to know and you are in for an expensive time. I have a very different opinion now than I did when I bought the car. I had planned on buying another BMW when I was ready to change my car but will definitely not do so now and would not recommend this car if you expect a premium, reliable car for your money.

Frances Comerford, September 20th 2012

d EfficientDynamics 4dr

Well I am lucky ownner of a brand new 62 plate. After test driving this an A5 and a C class there is no contest. It is smooth, quick and economical. The quality is magnificent. Why not the other 2. Well being a company car CO2 emissions important and this wins hands down. The A5 has an appalling ride,off set pedals and is a bit bling. The C class is a wallowing barge in comparison too. You will need extras though so be careful as this hikes the price ( see what cars own long term test vehicle...they went well OTT). Leather and metallic essential...the rest is upto you. Went for Nav, DAB, and HK Hi-fi ( amazing) as music important to me. Drives beautifully, rides very well ( especially this version with only 16" wheels). Capable of upto 70mpg. Hoping the 3 years I have will be trouble free and hugely enjoyable.

Graham Curtis, dorset, September 12th 2012

d EfficientDynamics 4dr

This is an exceptional car. I recently drove from Leeds to South Wales in this and averaged over 74 miles per gallon. This was driving at speed limits on motorways. I regularly drive this car on long motorway drives and the average mpg I am getting is 68.9mpg. It is comfortable and quiet and when needed it can accelerate well in 6th gear.

Paul Duncan, Tyne & wear, August 17th 2012

i Luxury 4dr

My only disappointment with this car is the high noise level at highway speeds. Engine, road, tire and wind noise are very high for this market segment. Otherwise I am very impressed.

Tamer Mehanna, August 16th 2012

i SE 4dr

I bought this car new in 2010. The build quality is very good and it is all the in car frills one would expect in a BMW. After driving the car for a short time I became aware of the very uncomfortable ride due to the run-flat tyres. They were very bad for tramlining on some roads to the point of being dangerous. Passengers in the rear seats complained of feeling every bump. Also I could feel the tyre vibration coming up through the foot pedals. The cabin noise coming from the run-flats was very noticeable.I eventually had the tyres replaced by conventional one which helped a little. During the winter I had to leave the vehicle in the garage during any covering of snow or frost as it was undriveable on the roads. The boot space is only good for one bag of messages. I only had the vehicle for six months when the on board computer failed and had to be re-formatted. I would say that this vehicle is only good for the business man. It is not a practical family vehiche. I must mention the service I received from the BMW dealer was excellent. After having only done 12000 miles I am replacing the vehicle this October, safe to say it is not a BMW. I would conclude that this model is over rated and not built for the U.K. roads. (Not a happy bunny!!!!!)

Angus Macleod, North Down, August 4th 2012

d ES 4dr

If you have 25K to spend and think your going to be getting into the comapact executive car of the year think again!! Pros: Excellent economy,low company car tax,rear legroom is ok,not too bad a spec for an entry level BMW,I forgot IPod interface is good if you buy the £8 ebay lead or the £68 BMW one Cons: Noisy rough engine,If you have your hand on the gear shift when it restarts it will whip your wrist off,gutless even in sport mode,nothing as standard,if your used to a Ford or VW(no split seats,no ski slot,no heated mirrors,no leather wheel,no storage space, seat adjustment last seen on a Datsun 120y (yes I am that old)uncomfortable seats. Wee boot! For the Pièce de résistance a quote for, not 1k not 2k but 2.5k for a towbar from BMW(factory fit a bargain @£900) Needless to say I am now in the process of trying to dump the car on an unsuspecting colleague! In my opinion the road testers that have awarded this car the accolades have only driven cars with 20k worth of options!!

jim toye, May 22nd 2012

d EfficientDynamics 4dr

Excellent drive. My first 3 Series, I think it's safe to say I am converted. Very economical and drives beautifully. Good handling too.

Azher Hussain, Essex, May 1st 2012

d EfficientDynamics 4dr

The 2.0 diesel is disappointingly noisy and rough sounding, but it has plenty of performance, with very impressive midrange punch. The 6 speed gearbox is also a delight, with a short throw, positive shift quality, and a complete absence of any slack or freeplay in the linkage. Fuel economy is good, but nowhere near the claimed 69 mpg combined figure. I get around 53 mpg in mixed driving, and on a long run in ideal traffic conditions can get around 60 mpg. The claimed 69 mpg is not achievable in the real world, and the computer is naughtily optimistic by about 8% calculated brim to brim. The interior is superb, with a lovely mix of textures and good quality materials. The seats are comfortable for long trips, and there's enough of a range in driving position that both me (6ft 2) and my wife (5ft 4) can get perfectly comfortable. Good spec even without the options list being raided. Cruise, iDrive, keyless start, dual zone climate, parking sensors etc etc. The adaptive suspension is a must though - without it, the handling really isn't anything special. Roll prone, and very lazy on turn in for a BMW. An E90 on standard suspension runs rings around a similarly equipped F30. Sadly, I am already questioning the car's reliability. The wiper self park packed up, and the auto function stopped working. Also, the stop/start disable feature no longer works. Dealer is investigating tomorrow, but disappointing on a near Β£30k car with < 2500 miles covered. Good car overall

Dan Post, Hampshire, April 17th 2012

d Sport 4dr

This is our fourth 3 series and replaces a 325D M Sport. The 320D engine isn't as smooth as the six cylinder diesel and is slightly noisier at low speeds; however it seems to have just as much performance and the new car is delivering at least 10 mpg more. The first motorway run resulted in 58.5 mpg on the computer with 70 mph cruising. The suspension on the latest model is far more forgiving than our previous car, even with the optional 18" wheels fitted; the suspension is also quieter as it deals with the bumps. The new 8 speed automatic gearbox is superb and very responsive. The interior is comfortable (especially the sports seats) and far more stylish than the previous model; it remains very easy to use. The car is usefully roomier inside and in the boot but BMW still haven't given it enough interior storage space although the glovebox is a better size. The fussy cupholder and tray arrangement was obviously someone's good idea but really doesn't work. A folding rear seat and DAB radio should be standard. However the dealer eventually came up with a good deal and has been good to deal with. I did try to look at an Audi A4 for a comparison but the dealer was totally disinterested so I didn't bother. We are very pleased with our new 320D.

David Baker, Hertfordshire, April 11th 2012