SZ2 3dr

Have owned the SZ4 (1.2) for a month now after previously owning a Suzuki Swift 1.5 GLX for eight years, which never let me down. Was a bit dubious about purchasing a new Swift with only a 1.2 engine, but after test driving it, wasn't disappointed, quite the opposite and was surprised at the response ! The chassis is slightly bigger than the original Swift. Feel that the original Suzuki Swifts chassis was spot on in comparison and needn't have been changed on the new model and this also could be said for the comfort of the seats. The seats in the new Swift aren't as comfy. There is now some sort of lumbar support pad built into the seat which takes a bit of getting used to, but you will, seating position very good! Changing gear is very smooth. The boot is ample for shopping and just about fits a pram (buggy) in. The five door is much more practical than a three door, the doors are shorter in the five door so it makes getting in and out after parking in tight spaces far easier. Test drove the Suzuki Swift Sport and the SZ4 Swift 1.2 on the same day to compare. Lots of power in the Sport, but terrible road noise from the tyres, dosent't have a spare tyre and has an ugly design to the rear bumper. The 1.2 engine has ample power, a spare tyre and less road noise. Don't understand why some critics feel that it is underpowered and noisy. It isn't !!! Its a great looking little car with comfy suspension. Choose a Suzuki Swift over a Mini anyday.

S Hughes, Lancashire, November 20th 2014

SZ2 3dr

Been driving this car for 3 weeks now, bought from new on VAT free offer. Suzuki customer service is one of the best I've ever received, certainly at my local garage. The car looks great, especially in Metallic Pearl White, looks well made and slightly sporty. Looks reasonably compact from outside but inside provides plenty of room and comfort for a 'Super Mini'. After previously driving a 1998 VW Golf 1.6 (wonderful car, especially on open road), the Swift 1.2 is considerably lighter as expected, but still provides plenty of oomph on dual carriageways, motorways etc. Around town, the handling is superb, it feels well balanced and very nimble, whilst being extremely smooth and comfortable. I chose the top range SZ4 model and the equipment is excellent, auto air con is very good, and car bluetooth system is significantly better than previous systems I have used on off the shelf stereos. This car is exactly what I wanted it to be, much more suited to the many short journeys I seem to do, and has enough about it when required on the longer drives, especially with the responsive cruise control. The petrol savings have been significant, and although I live in the middle of a large housing estate(a maze!), the overall average mpg is still between 40-45, and is considerably higher on other roads. Excellent car, would highly recommend to anyone who wants a well made car for a reasonable price and some excellent equipment.

Ross Britton, February 19th 2014

GL 5dr

I have a bought a three year old SZ4 and have had it for nearly a month. I must say I am delighted overall with this car and the only real fault I can mention is the lack of torque. You do have to rev the engine to get it to perform but I have been used to more powerful cars and I do ride a motorcycle so perhaps I am being harsh. The interior is well finished and easy to use with no fiddly little buttons. A very pleasant, comfortable cabin with adequate space and the equipment level is excellent with a general feel of a more expensive vehicle. It handles very well, has good all round visibility and thus far is returning 46 mpg, although I have not yet driven it on a motorway. The boot is on the small size due to the good size cabin but there is just the two of us so that is not a problem. I think it is a good looking well made car that is very pleasing to live with and, if this is what a three year old with 26,000 miles on the clock is like then I would not hesitate to buy a new one. £30 road tax ,5 star NCAP rating, keyless entry, push button start, climate control, cruise control, privacy glass, Bluetooth, USB connectivity, automatic lights,alloy wheels, front fog lights, power assisted steering, driver seat height and steering wheel adjustment coupled with a decent sound system makes for a terrific value for money package. If you want more power, I would but my wife wouldn't so that's that, then go for the Sport version.

Ian Topper, Cornwall, February 7th 2014

SZ3 5dr

Absolutely fabulous car, extremely cheap to run, fun to drive, good equipment and good looking. Highly recommended.

Nick Callaway, May 16th 2013

Sport 3dr

I nearly gave it 5 stars overall. I like it a lot. My wife and I wanted to serve several purposes, a practical shopping car, but one which was (fairly) quick, fun to drive and sufficiently "grown up" to be perfectly OK on a longer run. The Swift Sport meets those criteria pretty much perfectly. It's also super value for money - to get a similarly equipped Fiesta Mountune you'd have to pay around £5000 more. A Twingo 133 - another option - is certainly fun, but not as good an all-rounder in my view. On the plus side the handling is entertaining, the ride good, and the engine spirited when you want to go quickly but quite refined cruising - aided by the long 6th gear. Indeed all the gears are high - even 5th is geared for an unlikely 136mph at peak power - which probably explains why top speed is claimed to be less than the previous Swift Sport despite a 15bhp power hike. On the negative side there is no spare wheel even as an option. I am putting a space saver in, but will have to raise the boot floor - and the boot is very small to start with. Packaging as a whole is fairly poor - better than a Mini for sure - but not good nevertheless. It's a pity that there is no 5 door option - rear access is a pain since the front seats lose for and aft and rake positions when tipped forward. Finally economy is fairly good - we get high thirties - but nothing like the average indicated mpg, which is around 8mpg more. Overall one of the most enjoyable cars I've owned in 40 yea

John Clucas, Bucks, November 14th 2012

GL 5dr

I've just parted with my beloved Swift after a 3 year love affair in which, despite my pushing her hard, she never once missed a beat. The first time I test drove a Swift I fell in love. The design, the comfort and the go-kart like fun of the drive had me smitten from the outset. Not being a fan of buying cars new I found one that was 3 years old with only 3300 miles on the clock and in the 3 years that we shared we jointly added another 37000 miles to that total. In the last year that we were together we did 18000 miles in just over 6 months and, although on the motorway the cabin was a little noisy, even on a 6 hour journey from hell I was never once uncomfortable. Above all, the Swift is a drivers car. It has endless grip - mine never once got close to misbehaving no matter how much I threw it around - and although the little 1.3 engine had to be worked hard, it always brought a smile to my face. The feedback through the steering is exactly right and the chassis is tight and balanced. Yes it has it's quirks. The rear seats are not great for adults, and the boot is not exactly vast (although was amply big enough for a weekend away with a family of 4). But apart from that it is the perfect town car. My only complaint, and what ultimately led to us parting ways, was that at high speed the fuel consumption was just too high. But it's not a fair complaint. She wasn't built for that kind of life, and I hope her new owner can give her the life I never could.

Richard Woolven, Worcestershire, November 22nd 2011

GLX 5dr

This is the best car that I've ever had. I've had my Swift for nearly 18 months and covered 15,000 in that time. Above all it's great fun to drive, with a very good driving position (the only downside is the lack of a footrest for the left foot), and excellent steering. The brakes are very good, if a bit noisy, and the gearchange is very positive. Acceleration is also good - it still surprises me sometimes! The car is also very refined and comfortable, although I agree with other owners that space in the back is a bit tight. A bigger boot would also be welcome, but if I fold the seats down I can fit my five-piece drum kit in! I have no problems with squeaks or rattles from the interior and the car generally feels well built, with the possible exception of the tailgate that often needs a good slam to shut. I see that others haven't found the Swift to be very economical. My only issue with running costs is the 9,000-mile service intervals - rather short for a modern car. Insurance costs me not much more than for the W-reg Fiesta that I had previously, and fuel economy is very good - I average 45 mpg but on a long motorway run exceed 50mpg quite often, which I consider excellent for a petrol engine of this size. The car has done 16,000 miles now and the only reliability issue so far has been excessive rear tyre wear and likely to be a warranty claim (axle fault).

SIMON HUGHES, KENT, January 11th 2009

VVT Sport 3dr

We've only owned the Sport for a week so it's early days yet but have to say it's a great little car. Before buying we test-drove the mainstream offerings, Fiesta/Corsa/Punto/Polo...the Swift even in GLX guise was a much better driving experience..the new Fiesta has lost that famous driveability, we know as we owned the previous model. The Swift Sport comes extremely well equipped, has decent build & best of all drives superbly. o.k the ride is a little firm, it is a Sport after all and whilst it's firm it handles potholes & the typically awful british roads without a problem. I read reviews about the noise at motoway speeds but compared to our previous 04 1.4 Zetec Fiesta actually find it quieter so no problem for us. The only negative I can find is that the standard stereo isn't the best, speakers are very poor and it suffers a couple of rattles, drivers door & dash, both of these are easily sorted by the dealer according to car forums though I highly recommend the Sport, for the money it's impossible to beat...make sure you test-drive one before going with the obvious mainstream choices !!

sim Kit, December 17th 2008

VVT Sport 3dr

I absolutely love this car, it is fun, looks great and since buying an 08 registered Sport in August I have loved every minute. I was looking at the Mini but the cost really put me off - a test drive in the Swift completely changed my mind - I loved it immediately. I travel a lot on the motorway and understand the points of others on the noise in the cabin, but it is a sport and you should expect a certain level of noise. It is very responsive and great fun, a really good value for money sporty car! As others have pointed out also, people look at you in a Swift Sport because you don't see all that many on the road - a great feeling. Will report again later when it has it's first service - my opinion may change but I sincerely hope not!!!!

Tracey Palmer, Lancashire, December 14th 2008

GLX 5dr

Just wanted to 'update' on my Swift's progress. I've had it for almost 9 months now. And the gear box issue has persisted, getting worse in some respects. I'd be interested to know if anyone has had the same problems with not being able to 'find' 2nd or any lower gears when changing down at junctions etc...it really undermines what has been a super little car. The dealer was to say the least stereotypical about the issue. Claiming the burning smell of the stuck gears was 'a dead fox smeared over the exhaust' unfunny and offensively bizarre as excuses go! I know there is a problem with the gear boxes on these cars - and it appears it can't be fixed either.

L J, November 3rd 2008

GLX 5dr

WOW WHAT A CAR!!! COVERED 107,000 MILES IN TWO YEARS FROM NEW WITH VIRTUALLY NO PROBLEMS. ONLY REPLACED ONE REAR WHEEL BEARING AND FRONT DISCS - THE FRONT PADS DID 88,000 BEFORE REPLACEMENT. TOTAL SERVICING COSTS TO DATE INCLUDING TWO SETS OF TYRES £1463.40. THE CAR AVERAGES 1200 MILES PER WEEK WITH AVERAGE 44MPG. IT'S A GREAT DRIVE AND HANDLES WELL - FANTASTIC VALUE FOR MONEY. GOING TO RUN IT TO 150,000.............

MEL LONGMAN, SOMERSET, October 23rd 2008

VVT Sport 3dr

After being very happy with a 1.5 Swift, I traded up to the Sport. This is the most fun car I've ever owned, it's like a go-kart, really eager and it just wants you to push it all the time. It has the best seats I have ever had the pleasure of sitting in, and it is surprisingly good, if noisy, on long trips. Going slow is not it's thing and at low speed it is hard and bouncy and doesn't want to know. It wants to go fast, it's what it does best! Sadly it has had a fair few electrical issues which have shortened my ownership of the car, ABS sensors, ABS controler and Body Control Module faults led me to trade the car in recently. I'll miss it for it's outright fun factor though! It really is an outstanding drive, why buy a Type-R when you can have as much fun for £6k less??

Michael Wrightson, Cumbria, October 19th 2008

GL 3dr

Had swift for 3 months , loved the car till started having problems with gearbox, when setting of in 1st gear car actually engaging 3rd gear, not very good when trying to pull out of junction. In and out of garage with no joy until today when finally fault found (gear remote selector)apparently easy fix but could be problem for other drivers of the swift

Tracy Howard, Greater Manchester, September 30th 2008

GLX 5dr

I have owned my Swift for a month, so can't really comment on reliability yet, but so far ive been really impressed with it. Its a really good little car to drive, plenty of power, great gearchange and i personally think the ride quality is good considering its handling ability. It corners like its on rails. The 1.5 VVT is more than capable of dealing with motorways, although it does get a little noisy when you push on above 4000rpm. MPG doesnt seem to be too bad, i did a 200mile trip on £23 worth of fuel, and i wasn't driving light footed. The only downsides are the clutch and brakes. The clutch has a ridiculously long pedal travel, and bites very suddenly. The brakes meanwhile are very snatchy, seem to be either on or off. As for the cabin, it has much more space than you'd think. But build quality isn't great, theres nothing wrong with the dials or switches, but its all covered in cheap plastic that rattles. Overall i'm really happy with my Swift!

Jonathon Luck, September 28th 2008

DDiS 5dr

Have has the car from new and done 45K in two & half years.Its a good drive around town and on rural roads. I have had 3 electrical faults, turbo failure, leak in the fuel line, fault in key and am about to have the rear forks replaced - all under warrenty. I am also on my forth set of tyres - in short good drive but will fall apart & cost you.

David Thomson, September 12th 2008

GLX 5dr

Overall a great little car. But let's start with the bad point. Yes like several other owners, the brakes appear to be a problem. We've owned the car for 2 mths which when we bought it was 1 year old and only done 3,000 miles. Within a week we returned it to the dealer due to noisey and juddery brakes. They were very good (Swift Heathrow) and changed the discs and pads under warranty. However, now a month later and only 500 miles done since their replacement, there is a 'graunching' noise at low speed and at final stop. To the good points. The ride is comfortable, firm but not unconfortably so. Plenty enough of interior room (we downsized from a Zafira!!). Sure the boot space is limited but what do you expect from a Supermini...enough for the weekly family shop! The engine response is great, very nippy, even with passengers in the back. The ride is quiet and smooth on the motorway. Fuel economy is good at around 38mpg based on mainly town driving. The car looks great and is stylish compared to others in its class and there are not that many on the road so it always gets a look! Can't comment on reliability yet but so far so good (except for the brakes). The keyless entry takes a bit to get used to but is a nice extra. Still very pleased with this car, again despite the brakes, excellent value for money and would recommend others to test drive before heading to the Ford (Fiesta) or Vauxhall (Corsa) garage...

Steve Clements, September 11th 2008

GLX 3dr

Good fun if not a little choppy. 1.5 vvti (toyota) engine doesnt feel any quicker than 1.3. Good looking car, slightly cheap inside. Keyless starter knob thing is just nasty plastic made by fisher price! I like it but not enough to buy one. May have opted for the diesel if it had been slightly cheaper (1.3 ddis engine is a very good Fiat engine by the way!) And, will the name Suzuki Swift ever be credited as being cool?

Andrew Hood, July 8th 2008

GL 3dr

Looks decent, big improvement from a company on the up. 1.3 and 1.5 engines dont feel any different for power (havnt had the pleasure of driving the 1.6 lunatic). Interior still feels a little chatty and rattley. 1.3's lack of spec slightly lets it down but in todays times, its a cheap new car (and its Japenese so it should last!)

Andrew Hood, July 8th 2008

GL 5dr

I bought my 57 reg GL 6 weeks ago as an ex-demo with approx 3k miles on the clock. I have been really impressed in every way, particularly with fuel economy, which is very good. It nips along both around town and on the motorway. Really happy so far!

Joanne Greenhill, West Midlands, June 17th 2008

GLX 5dr

Bought this car (GLX 1.5 Auto) 4 weeks ago based on the reviews by Whatcar/Autotrader. I was not disappointed. Amazing car for the price. Looks good, handles great in the city and the motorway. Very comfortable and great view. Very, very nippy. Love it! I would recommend this as the best supermini by far. Tried the Vauxhall Corsa and Nissan Micra. They're no match as far as I'm concerned.

Colin Grant, SURREY, June 3rd 2008