Suzuki SX4 4x4 Owner reviews

SZ5 4X4 5dr

A neat 4 x 4 crossover at a reasonable price when compared to others. Economical to run,cheaper tax than most hatchbacks and very reliable. Only minus point for me is the small boot but rear seats fold down.

brian gatrall, mid-glam, July 23rd 2013

DDiS 5dr

This is an ideal 4x4 for those who don't want a Chelsea tractor. I live deep in the countryside, north of England, and winter can be a challenge. I owned this car's predecessor, the Ignis, and was never stranded, even in the worst of thick ice, mud covered roads and wet grass. This model seems to combine a nifty hatchback with the practicality of 4x4 when you need it. There is a selector switch giving you 2 wheel drive for economy, auto 4x4 for normal winter use, and fixed 4x4 to get you out of trouble. Combine this with comfort and reasonable fuel economy, plus a little extra ground clearance for rutted tracks, and I can't think of another car that compares with this. I nearly bought the Jimny, but that's not an ideal car on motorways. This certainly sits comfortably at speed. You want a criticism? For a top of the range car, where is the USB socket on the radio for mp3 tracks?

Andy Norris, Cumbria, November 20th 2012

DDiS SZ5 4X4 5dr

The 2 litre diesel is great round town - pulling strongly away at roundabouts. The cabin is comfortable and well laid out - I've had the car for 1500 miles. This latest model has disk breaks all round, and is averaging over 50 mpg - mainly urban driving. Cruises easily at 70 on the motorway - just set the cruise control and relax. Driving position is a little higher than an ordinary hatchback, so you see things you didn't know were there! I'm looking forward to winter to try out the 4 wheel drive.

Christopher Stewart, Aberdeen City, July 2nd 2011

Aerio 5dr

I bought the Aerio model in June 2010, and so far there have been no major problems. There was an intermittent problem with the central locking opening all doors when the ignition was turned, but that was 3 months ago. Performance: The 1.6 petrol is capable and can easily overtake. If you live in hilly areas, it will struggle A LOT if the car is full! Consider the diesel. I can't say road noise or engine noise was particularly bad. The radio/CD easily cancelled out the noise and still allowed passengers to talk easily. Ride and Handling: Fine. One front passenger felt a little 'perched', but the driver has adjustable seating, so I was alright :-) Space and Practicality: The boot space is about right for a weeks grocery shopping, and the removable shelf is a great idea. As for the seats... still need major improving. Coverings are of the cloth variety which has begun to ruffle slighlty and not stretch back into place, although they are perfectly comfortable and I do a lot of driving in it - upto 45 mins at a time. Centre console needs to be higher. Equipment: The CD player has performed perfectly well, playing MP3s and WMA CD's without complaint. It has never skipped either. Standard radio has been good too. Initially, I thought the washer jets were good with their 3 point jet on each, but at 70mph, the water is largely sprayed anywhere but the windscreen! The motor needs more ooomph! MPG was as described... 45 which is ok, but I think 55 should be the norm today.

Ian Vincent, Leicestershire, March 29th 2011

GLX 4Grip 5dr

Another year and the manufacturer's warranty has expired, but I purchased a dealer warranty to cover the next year, then will probably sell it. No issues with the car. Indeed so good has this car been that I shall probably buy the new 2 litre diesel version. That should be a little less thirsty (economy could be better, as could the service intervals)- my annual mileage has increased significantly following a job change. I bought 4 new Goodyear Ultragrip winter tyres last year and left them on over the summer; they were very good in the snow and ice but showed no obviously increased wear in the warmer months, and the handling was fine. A great little car!

david scaysbrook, November 12th 2009

DDiS 4Grip 5dr

I use this car a lot in Italy, where the contrast between small and twisty roads, and high speed (and twisty!) motorways is extreme. This car deals with the mixed demands admirably. It's motor is sprightly and pulls well on the motorway, and is quite comfortable cruising around 100mph. The six speed gearbox offers great flexibility, with enough range to avoid constantly changing gears on narrow roads. It handles well and is surprisingly agile on hills and corners, and raised body is also handy with the numerous potholes, kerbs and speed bumps encountered, where the Focus would surely ground. I have the driveway from hell. Only a 4x4 can get up it, but only a car of the Suzuki's size can get round the corners, and barring the (much smaller) Fiat Panda 4x4 I can't find another car on the market that fits the bill. I very much like the 3 options of 2 wheel drive/ all wheel/ and 4 wheel locked. I particularly like the latter on the motorway in the rain. The options are simply applied too, via a switch by the handbrake. Space in the back is not massive, but I do a great deal of lugging, including substantial pieces of awkwardly shaped furniture and I have not yet found a piece I couldn't get in (with a little imagination!). Frankly I treat the car very badly, but it has never let me down (after 9 months), consumes surpisingly little, and the only fault is a flickering handbrake light. Highly recommended.

David Will, Lothian, January 26th 2009

GLX 4Grip 5dr

I have now owned this vehicle for about two and a half years and wrote my first review soon after buying it from new. I still consider the car to be great value for money even though there have been several recalls. All have been dealt with quickly and professionally by my local Suzuki dealer Coln Appleyard and each time I was provided with a courtesy car. It has now covered approximately 25,000mls and has never let me down once. My only niggle is the left indicator sometimes doesn't cancel which can be embarrasing and the view from the A pillar takes soem getting used to but after a few miles you become aware of the slight "blind spot". I have loaded it with scuba diving kit on several occasions both for myself and a buddy and it has coped really well. The 4 wheel drive although not a true off roader has been very usefull at some dive sites. It carries 4 adults quite comfortably even on long journerys. As mentioned the service intervals are every 9000 mls but on balance if things are going amiss then the sooner they can be discovered. Since new, with the recalls, I have had 2 new cats, (although 1 had already been changed by my dealer as a precaution). The handbrake cable required a minor recall and even though it was very slight there was noise coming from the front brakes. My dealer changed both discs and pads at no cost to myself.

Keith Spalding, Greater Manchester, December 31st 2008

GL 5dr

We bought this car in March 2007 for a special price of Β£8995, down from Β£9995. Although the GLX model proved to be good value, with the basic GL at only Β£8995 it wouldn't have been worth while paying an extra Β£2000 when I already got all the things you would expect from a typical family car. I think What Car? has under rated the 1.6 petrol. The engine is not even close to struggling even when I have passengers in the car. 106bhp is plenty for a car that's only slightly bigger than a VW Polo! The engine does get quite noticeable when you go over 2800rpm though. Considering Suzuki's past, they have improved well - their old Balenos and Swifts were deafening, but now their cars a much better to drive and build quility is improving. The SX4 gives a good fuel ecomonmy figure of 40.1 MPG for me, with a mix of city and A road driving There are a few downsides to this car though, I incurred two safety recalls (handbrake cable and Cat converter) and a squealing alternator. Plastics are flimsy and tacky. Paint is easily scratched off - a egg thrown at the car was enough to scratch the bumper - rear seats are made of sponge and the unpleasant smell of cheap materials. The suspension is quite firm, but is it strong? I'm not too happy about the 9000 mile service intervals either. 9000 mile intervals should be a thing of the past. I've done over 30000 miles in less than two years so that's probably why this car is wearing out so quickly for me.

Martin Lee, December 25th 2008

DDiS 5dr

I test drove the 1.6 diesel recently and was quite impressed. I really like the cars shape and looks. The driving position is just what I like with a higher flat seat and plenty of side support. The gearchange and brakes were just right and the diesel engine pulled well, although a little on the noisy side. What did concern me was a vibration (not a judder)from the clutch pedal when pulling away in 1st gear which wasn't noticeable when changing up through the other gears. I just couldn't live with this so decided not to purchase. A friend of mine who has the same engine in his Peugeot said he also experienced the vibration. Is this a characteristic of this 1.6 diesel engine and gearbox?

Ray Fuller, Kent, September 20th 2008

DDiS 5dr

I have to say this little car has impressed me, it manages to give 53mpg, whilst giving ample power for general motorway and A road driving. The engine is a Citroen/Peugeot HDI unit which is quiet on the hole, but i would like a little more mid range power, having said that, its comfortable, cheap to run, what more do yo want for this money? I'm impressed overall.

Nick Bull, Avon, July 31st 2008

GLX 5dr

We've owned the car for 3 months now and so far are more than pleased with it. It looks good, especially in the sunlight copper we have, and is comfortable and easy to drive. We really like the high driving position, keyless entry, climate control and all round power windows.The economy is more than acceptable with the figure of around 38.7mpg in mixed driving conditions.This car is really a little gem with bags of room inside the passenger area although the boot is a little on the small side it is able to cope with our large weekly shop.

Andrew Spanner, I O W, June 7th 2008

GLX 5dr

I bought this car July 2007 and at first was quite impressed with the handling and look of it. But now, after 9 months i am disappointed with it. I've had three recalls for various things(cat converter not up to speck, handbrake too loose and cheap brake pads that were fitted that squealed like hell the minute you touched them). There tends to be quite a bit of rolling over every lump and bump it finds in the road, and the engine is very sluggish on the pull off, and when it hits 80mph, it has nothing else to give. The good points is the dashboard which is designed well, aswell as the comfyness of the seating. Boot is as expected for the shape of the car. I wouldn't buy another suzuki, and when i can, i will be changing it for another make.

Patricia Piggin, Leicestershire, April 24th 2008

GLX 5dr

I have owned this car since July last year and at first was extremely pleased with the performance. However the car has developed a few noisy rattles and brake squeal and although it has been returned to the garage these issues have not been resolved.Lately i have been experiencing problems with the gearstick, gear changing not being as smooth as it used to be and it can be reluctant to go into reverse gear.The interior plastics look and feel cheap although safety equipment is good and i really like the remote door entry.I would not recommend suziki and would not buy another.At this moment in time i am test driving other cars and have discovered that suzuki's do not hold their price and depreciate rapidly.

Mary Ann Davenport, February 25th 2008

GLX 5dr

I have opened the 1.6 GLX for 6 months now, and not had a single issue with the car. I shopped around and got a real good deal. Love the car and it really does grip to the road.

Rob Hanson, Hampshire, February 8th 2008

DDiS 5dr

I took the DDiS 1.6 for a test drive today. As a driving instructor, my needs are somewhat different to other drivers. I'm 6ft 4in tall and need plenty of legroom, which the SX4 has, although not quite as much as my Modus. The visibility is excellent, especially around the A-pillars, and I found it very easy to reverse around a corner using the rear quarterlight. I like the high driving position and the strong engine torque, although the engine is noisy and the cabin plastics are somewhat on the cheapside, which is typical Suzuki. I also consider 9000-mile service intervals to be unacceptable these days, but despite these criticisms, I'm placing an order and am sure that both I and my pupils will love the car. In comparison with my Modus, the rear legroom is good and the boot space about the same, although the official figures say differently. I have no use for a 4WD so the 2WD is just fine for me and the 1.6 Peugeot engine is vastly superior to the 1.9 Fiat offering. I am also confident that the car will be reliable and finally, I can easily replace the headlamp bulbs, unlike my Modus which requires the front bumper to be removed!

Anthony East, Dorset, December 15th 2007

GLX 5dr

I have test driven GX4 and also compared with other available models in the market.My daughter who is just 5' passed her driving test last week took a test drive and made my day by driving a big car without any fear in the busy roads of Harrow. I also enquired for the insurance and did not find much difference compared to 1.4 or 1.1. Hence, I decided to place an order for a GLX petrol today. I found the car very good and interesting compared to other models which failed to satisfy me and my famile pricewise and features wise. You feel in command while sitting in the drivers seat. The interior in excellent. The back seating is very comfortable. The boot area is enough to handle luggage comfortably. The side mirrors are so big that one does not feel frightened and it gives clear view of the rear. I cannot comment on the fuel as I am waiting for delivery. The SMC, South Harrow staff explained the vehicle thoroughly, specially the safety features. I was introduced to the Service dept manager which I found extremely welcoming. I would recommend this car to all who plan to buy a new car keeping in mind the price, safety features,looks-interior and exterior and well Suzuki's record of providing quality cars.

Harish Shah, Middx, December 3rd 2007

DDiS 5dr

I tested the 1.6 DDIS last week after reading the specs. At 89 PS and 0-60 just over 12 seconds I was pleasantly surprised by this car. This particular model is new to the line-up and joins the 1.9 120bhp unit. It features a Peugeot-derived 1.6 litre 16-valve VVTI unit. The 1.9 diesel engined SX4 returns mpg figures similar to the 1.6 petrol and I needed something more economical than that. A road test proved that the new 1.6 is well up to the mark, giving an excellent spread of torque (159 lb.ft @ 1750ppm). A little slower than my current Swift 1.5 GLX when overtaking... but not much! The excellent fuel economy figures more than make up for this and we'll see how close I get to the combined figure of 53mpg because I've just ordered an SX4 1.6 DDIS for myself. Excellent visibility all-round and boot space much more useable than What Car seems to suggest, this particular model features all the extras that come with the GLX petrol models with the exception of Climate control (std. a/c button as-per my Swift GLX).

Philip Ball, Nottinghamshire, November 14th 2007

GLX 5dr

i have owned a GLX 1.6 Automatic for 10 months a good car for local daily use easy to get in and out sturdy and good for driving locally. noisy on long journies my main gripe is, from new the average mileage on the computer says 34.4.mpg. With a full tank from new and 9000 miles done the car has actually returned 27.66 mpg. Whats the point of a readout if it gives false information.I have just ordered a Toyota Prius

Ronald Billings, Cornwall, October 17th 2007

GLX 5dr

I bought a brand new 1.6 2wd GLX Auto in 2007 and never have I been so pleased to dispose of a car, initially I was quite pleased with this vehicle but within two weeks of ownership began to experience strange noises associated with acceleration and transmission. Despite several visits to the supplying dealership over the next 10 months, this was never resolved and consequently spoilt the pleasure of driving it. The problem appeared to be influenced by ambient outside temperatures, the car did not run correctly under about 15 degrees Centigrade. Around and above this figure it was a completely different car and quite a decent quiet drive. Winter months were a misery, the noises that it emitted were quite loud, particularly when the engine was completely cold and were really irritating, although in fairness the car never actually broke down or refused to start. I gave up with the original dealer who messed about for months without ever finding or solving the trouble. The second dealership listened to what I told them and did effect considerable improvement. However by this time I was determined to get rid of this car at the first viable opportunity. My confidence in Suzuki products is now non existent. Would I buy another of this brand? no thanks, I've got better things to do with my hard earned and hard saved money.

Robert Devey, July 29th 2007

GLX 5dr

My wife chose an SX4 GLX when replacing her, bought new, X reg Peugeot 206 Roland Garros in March 2007. Her requirements were something:distinctive;attractive;roomier;raised driving position;reliable;reasonable performance/economy;with automatic air con. The SX4 certainly seems to fit the bill. The GLX looks really good in Sunlight Copper and stands out in the car park almost as much as my Trophy Yellow MGTF. Suzuki really have got their reputation together of late. The local dealer was customer friendly when selling and equally friendly and efficient when we asked for a check/adjustment on the handbrake. I'd already sussed the handbrake recall via the internet but Suzuki had only just told the dealer about it the day we took the car in! That said they sorted it on the spot and all is well. Plenty of room for four in comfort. OK five is a bit cosy! Her golf clubs, trolley, etc fit easily. Don't always look at the overall figures for boot size what matters is available depth and width. We tried her gear in A Class and B Class Mercs and it didn't fit as well. Driving: What a pleasant surprise: great view of the road; reasonable performance without the need for lots of revs (If you really need to accelerate hard it will respond to revving, albeit a bit noisily, but that's not really what this car is all about); average mpg over 1700 mixed miles is 39mpg; and much better handling and ride that expected for a tall car. What else does all this for the price?

Mike Pitt, Kent, May 10th 2007