TSi SE 5dr

We bought our 1.4TSI 4 motion a month ago, and we've done about 1000 miles in it so far. We bought R Line and added premium and towbar packages. premium is worth the extra cost although note that the electric seat adjustment doesn't include a memory function. The towing package includes 'rear assist' but the display add little value and is hard to see in any sunlight, nor does it include any rear warning sensors, so it feels a little cheap in this respect. The car handles well, and although performance is a little boring teh car otself is very easy to drive with excellent driving position and comfort. The really BIG disappointment is fuel economy. VW claims for 31 MPG for this car seem wildly exagerated. So far we've only managed 26 mpg - and this is with careful, non-urban driving. We had high hopes that the 1.4 engine would be more economical for us.

john bridger, June 27th 2014

TDi BlueMotion Tech SE 5dr [2WD]

Had the car for 15 months now, followed 2 lovely Jaguar XJ's which were too big for Devon. Have to say the Tiguan is excellent. Practical, comfortable, nice feel to the handling, and is well made. Don't go for the harder riding S version as it is too firm, SE is just acceptable bearing in mind the handling. MPG depends alot on driving style, e.g cruise over 75mph and you will see 38mpg less than 75mph probably 41mpg. Can't understand why the X3 gets such good reviews from car Mag's, it really felt cheap and noisy in comparison.

Julian Bennett, December 5th 2013

TDi SE 170 5dr

Picked up Tiguan a week ago so too early to comment upon running costs. Bought it to replace 2012 Audi A6; lovely car but too big for town committing and not practical for two dogs. I ordered a 170 SE but this was up graded mid-order at no extra cost from 170 to 177 with better seats and Blue Motion (basically seems to add gear change indicator) Change in spec mid-order meant longer delay, taking four months from doing deal to driving away, but salesman kept me informed Car is fun to drive , with great 4-motion working seamlessly away so you can throw it around and the acceleration is really lively; much nippier than the 170 I test drove, and as quick as the thirsty TSI. No brainer for me, go for the TDI 177, no need to go petrol. Cruises well at speed too. Ignore the reviews about engine performance etc as at time of writing all apply to old 170 engine. Interior is classy, with comfortable sears; quality is right up to the standard I enjoyed in the Audi. Some reviews said ride is firm but can't agree; ride is actually better than the A6. I went for the Sat Nav as a treat option having had it as standard on Audi - impressive and actually better than one on Audi. Only gripe is lack of information about spec details e.g. At pick up, found recognition removed from UK spec despite being promised it by salesman. I was spoilt by bi-xenon lights in Audi which are amazing and make Tiguan lights seem puny on country roads. Go for bi-xenon if your budget allows.

Clive Rosewell, England, April 2nd 2013

TDi BlueMotion Tech Match 5dr [2WD]

i have had this car since 7th april 2011 from new.i love the car so far. previous car golf 20tdi cr sportline brilliant car.i was abit worried about hand brake electronic type,but no prob,s.vw dealership heritage westbury wilts very good.took out 3year serviceplan as goodvalue.the drive of the car is also very good.so far 50 mpg average

graham longdon, wiltshire, May 12th 2011

TDi Match 5dr

Took delivery of new 2.0 TDI 140 Match on March 1st. Replacement for 2.0 TDI SE acquired new exactly 3 years previously. 36 months and 20K miles of hassle-free motoring consisting mix of city/local and occasional longer runs to Northern England and Wales. Didn't miss a beat during this period – only visits to garage were for routine servicing and one VW recall. In summary: Plus: Very comfortable and car-like to drive. Good on increasingly potholed city streets and in significant snow during last two winters. Very good use of interior space – particularly rear seats for our two tall teenagers. Relatively cheap to run and insure, good combined mpg returns. No rattles, breaks or trim loss. Appearance hasn't aged – unlike some competitors. Minus: 1st gear too short. Occasional 'whining' from engine bay/underfloor during very cold weather (Garage – "It's just the cold"….). Not a lot else. Overall View: Recommended

Peter Masters, March 4th 2011

TDi SE 5dr

Third update on my Tiguan. Now done 40,000 miles, still on the original tyres although these need changing soon (had 3mm left at December service). The interior is still as new, no squeaks or rattles and the plastics seem impossible to mark, the bodywork (excepting stone chipping at the front) is also very good. Quality and reliability has been very VERY impressive, with no issues at all, as has the drive. Smooth, quiet and lots of punch from the engine, fantastic on the motorway. Overall economy (car is automatic) c 42mpg. Great in the snow too, even on multi-season tyres. Service cost for the second (36,000 mile) service was a bit high at Β£400, but dealership(s) have all been excellent and highly professional. The best recommendation I can make - when I come to change it later this year it is hard to look beyond having another Tiguan...and I've never had the same car twice in over 20 years.

Edward Askew, Buckinghamshire, November 21st 2010

TDi Sport 5dr

I have just bought this car. So far I have found it very easy and comfortable to drive. One of the main reasons we bought the car was its five star EuroNCAP safty status and it certainly feels safe when driving. The 2.0 140 bhp engine is not overly quick but is fast enough to get out quickly at junctions and for overtaking on the motorway. There is lots of room in the cabin and rear seats. However, the boot is not very big for a car of its size (but not that different from rival cars). The drive is slightly more firm that the SE (I took my test drive in an SE) due to the sports suspension. However, I feel that overall i am very pleased with my purchase and I already find myself looking forward to the next big journey.

Gareth Goodram, October 19th 2008

TSi S 5dr

I had this car as a courtesy car while my Touran was serviced. I drove about 40 miles, mainly on narrow country roads. I was seriously unimpressed and struggle to find a purpose or reason to own the car. The 1.4 TSI engine is terribly rough and struggles to smoothly deliver power to the road wheels. By contrast my diesel touran is so smooth passengers could be forgiven for not knowing I had changed gear. The cabin space is about the same as a golf, except for the extra height which is nice but the touran has space in spades. The boot is very small, again it looks like a golf. There is a silly space saver spare wheel, but the boot is so small, where would you put the flat? A horrid 60/40 bench is all you get for a rear seat, not like the Touran with 3 independent seats. The fuel economy was dire, about 31MPG. I get 50 with the Touran. I assume the diesel Tiguan is better on most counts than the 1.4 TSI and this is what people will buy but frankly the car is a golf on steroids Buy the golf, or if you want the extra height and more space get a Honda CRV for about the same money... or get a Touran. This car will struggle to find a purpose with most would-be buyers.

Roger Woodliffe, September 18th 2008

TSi SE 5dr

Had this car on loan while my Passat estate was, once again, in the dealership. The Wrexham dealer lent this car to me having registered it specially the morning I picked it up Well done Wrexhan VW. It was a 170hp diesel not sure the spec but would suspect SE or similar. Very nice and roomy inside particularly liked the touch screen radio. Not really a diesel person and found the very narrow power band and all or nothing prformance a little disconcerting also semed to have to change gear a lot but then I am used to an auto. Passengers enjoyed the ride comfort although my son complained it was a little wallowy as a driver I had no complaints. Fuel consumption according to the computer was excellent and I certainly had no trouble at all bettering the Passats mileage. I think this car could be a winner if the dealer and manufacturer backup is considerably better than I have experienced in the Oswestry area. I call my Passat Hitler's revenge

Garry Cleaver, August 23rd 2008

TSi SE 5dr

I had a fully equipped Tiguan 1.4 SE for the weekend. It is an absolutely awesome car and handles really well. The driving position and gearshift are fun and the car has a lot of pull and feels very sportive and agile. The interior is very elegant, being pro-animals, I am not at all keen on leather, though - why not offer Alcantara again, which is nicer than leather anyway. Absolutely brilliant are the electronics, SatNAV and a parking assistant that really works - highly recommended. A very 'yuppie' car, elegant, quick and well suited for rough roads and nasty speed bumps.

Dietmar Zilz, Surrey, July 2nd 2008

TDi SE 5dr

I had my new Tiguan for five days(187 miles) when the engine failed. I have been informed by the dealer that a glow plug remained on and overheated eventually melting and entering the cylinder causing the engine to misfire. The dealers have bent over backwards to assist me to the point of supplying me with their Tiguan demo caruntil the matter is resolved. I have rejected my car even with a new engine being fitted as I was still unhappy about some of the issues raised. VW customer services originally offered Β£200 compensation which I have also rejected asking for an extended warranty (2yrs) and Roadside Assistance (4yrs). VW are now offering 4yrs roadside assistance, which is probably worth less than the original Β£200. On speaking to VW they left me in no doubt this was the best I can expect and should be grateful for that. I am stunned at VW's stance and am now contemplating a full refund and opting for a Freelander instead.

Richard Mess, May 2nd 2008

TDi SE 5dr

We bought this Tiguan for my wife and she loves it! It is very practical and an ideal size. However we had an intermitant 'screaming' fuel pump since we took delivery 6 weeks ago and VW customer service is absolutely shocking, after handing over your money they could not care less. We are still no nearer getting the car repaired and trying to get the dealer to answer the phone or call back is impossible!

Richard Gibbons, West Midlands, April 25th 2008

TDi Escape 5dr

I purchased the Escape as it will tow an amazing 2500kgs far more than ANY of its competitors in this class. Having downgraded from a 3.0 Audi A6 LeMans in order to tow a horse trailer for my partner, I am delighted and more than a bit surprised with the performance and handling, fuel economy is excellent even when towing 2500kgs!! Not even an BMW X3, Freelander, or Volvo XC90 can tow so much. Built in Sat Nav is touch screen and is a must so easy to use is great. VW have built a stylish 4x4 that is going to be a winner.

Graham Templeman, Surrey, April 19th 2008

TDi S 5dr

One of the two fuel pumps went on collection day. Being new it's hard to get spares for this car. Still waiting on first one ordered to be ready, and had to settle for similar one within the country in the meantime.

Taiwo Fakoya, April 10th 2008