Best small automatic cars 2019 (and the ones to avoid)
Which small cars work best with an automatic gearbox? We name the best – and the worst...
There are lots of great small cars on sale, but if you want one with an automatic gearbox, then your choice is rather more limited. It's not so much that small automatic cars aren't available, but more that many of them are quite flawed.
That said, there are still some small cars that are every bit as impressive with an automatic gearbox as they are with a manual. So, here we count down our top 10, and also name the models that are best avoided.
10. Renault Clio 1.5 dCi 90 Iconic EDC
This baby Renault might look expensive at more than £18,000, but sizeable savings are available. It combines a frugal diesel engine with a slick auto gearbox, and comes luxuriously equipped.
- Read our full Renault Clio review
- See how much we can save you on a new Renault Clio
- Rather lease a Renault Clio?
9. Hyundai i10 1.2 Premium auto
The i10 has long been one of our favourite city cars, and while the automatic version isn't as economical as the manual, performance is still sprightly enough, and the gearbox copes well with both town and motorway driving. Standard kit includes air-con, front and rear electric windows and six airbags.
- Read our full Hyundai i10 review
- See how much we can save you on a new Hyundai i10
- Rather lease a Hyundai i10?
8. Kia Picanto 1.25 3 auto
City cars have to provide seriously cheap motoring without compromising too much on space, quality and driving manners. And that's exactly why the Kia Picanto is so good, whether you go for an auto or a manual. It handles well, has a roomy interior and comes with an industry-leading seven-year warranty.
- Read our full Kia Picanto review
- See how much we can save you on a new Kia Picanto
- Rather lease a Kia Picanto?
Page 1 of 4