Most (and least) reliable luxury SUVs

Luxury SUVs are packed with technology, which is great – unless this goes wrong, at which point it can make them very expensive to fix. So, here we reveal the most and least dependable models...

Most and least reliable luxury SUVs - Range Rover Velar

Like luxury saloons, luxury SUVs tend to be laden with all the latest technology, and that makes them some of the most desirable family cars around. If you pick the wrong model, though, it could see your car develop faults that require frequent – and expensive – repairs.  

The good news is that we've asked thousands of owners to reveal all about their cars' reliability so we can tell you which models should be dependable and which are more likely to let you down. Our data is based on information supplied by more than 16,000 car owners across the UK who participated in the latest What Car? Reliability Survey

Looking exclusively at the results for cars aged up to five years old, we've named the most and least dependable luxury SUVs around.

Land Rover Range Rover Velar 2021 front cornering

What Car? Reliability Rating 90.3%

Owners told us that 21% of Land Rover Velars had a fault. The most common problems were with the engine and the bodywork. Although 89% of repairs were covered by Land Rover, that left 11% of consumers having to pay more than £1500 to get their car fixed. The good news is that 44% of cars were still driveable and were fixed in less than a day.

Read our full Range Rover Velar review >>

Find great deals on the Range Rover Velar >>


4. Volvo XC90 (2015-present)

Volvo XC90 front cornering

What Car? Reliability Rating 90.6%

XC90 owners told us that 35% of their cars suffered a fault, with the majority of those being non-engine electrical issues. There were also reports of problems with the engine and engine electrics. However, Volvo and its dealers covered the cost of 100% of repairs and remedial work was swift, with 47% of cars fixed in a day or less. Only 11% of cars could not be driven and were off the road for more than a week.

Read our full Volvo XC90 review >>

Find great deals on the Volvo XC90 >>


3. BMW X5 (2013-2018) 

BMW X5 2015 front

What Car? Reliability Rating 91.3%

Twenty-two percent of X5s went wrong according to owners, with non-engine electrics being the main complaint, followed by problems with the steering. However, 60% percent of vehicles were fixed for free, with the remaining 40% of owners only having to pay £101 to £200 for repairs. Most cars could still be driven; only 20% were classed as non-driveable and were off the road for more than a week.

Read our full BMW X5 review >>

Find great deals on the BMW X5 >>


2. Audi Q7 (2015-present)

Audi Q7 front cornering - 67-plate car

What Car? Reliability Rating 96.6%

Faults were reported on only 13% of Q7s, and the most common of those were related to the engine. A small number of issues were also noted with the interior trim and the infotainment/sat nav system. Fortunately, 100% of these were fixed for free, so no owners had to pay out for repairs. Even better, 50% of cars were fixed in a day or less and only 25% couldn’t be driven and took more than a week to put right. 

Porsche Macan S front

WhatCar? Reliability Rating 97.9%

Overall, Macan owners told us that only 12% of their cars had gone wrong in the previous 12 months. Bodywork issues were the most common complaint, followed by non-engine electrics and interior issues. All of the cars we were told about were fixed under warranty, with 60% of them still driveable and repaired the same day.

Read our full Porsche Macan review >>