D-4D VX 5dr

I have really loved this car and sad to see it go after 2 years but it is just a bit to small for a family of 5 with a pushchair and large dog ! Great driving position, gear change and feel although ride can be a bit noisy and bumpy on rough surfaces. Running costs are good ( eg 40+ miles per gallon, fully comp insurance £217 a year ) and servicing reasonable as nothing goes wrong. Highly recommended.

G Graham, August 28th 2008

GX 3dr

i own a 94 rav4. i have owned it for 8 years i haven't had any mechanical trouble with this car whatsoever! i have replaced the drivers seat with constantly moving it to allow passengers into the back seats.the boot is poor as when you have it full of your weekly shopping, the back door opens from left to right, therefore most of your shopping will end up on the floor if you have short arms, so to combat this it's best to put shopping on the back seats and floor. it has never failed the mot but i dont drive it like lewis hamilton. i would recommend this car to anyone.

karen roberts, lancs, August 15th 2008

VX 5dr

I owned a 51 plate when they first came out. Imported it from Holland and had it fully spec'd. Loved the vehicle, it was practical and felt safe to drive - the only BUT, it was a petrol version and cost an arm and a leg to run. I kept this car for 8 months and sold it with nearly 10K on the clock. I'm not sure I'd consider another one with the increasing fuel costs, if fuel cost less...then yes, I'd buy another.

Angela Baines, Wales, June 18th 2008

D-4D VX 5dr

This car has been very good and pratical for our needs, but be warned if you own any diesels from Toyota Like the 2.0 D4D Avensis or any Rav 4 with the D4D engine you will be facing a large bill due to failure of the the dual mas flywheel that can happen from 50.000 miles on wards and if out of warranty you will face a bill of more than £2000 for the repair check out reviews from the Toyota club. TOYOTA OFFER NO HELP TOWARDS THE COST OF REPAIR

Philip Beck, April 9th 2008

VX 5dr

I own a RAV 4D reg November 53. I have had a constant rattle from the dash which my dealer refused to look at as Toyota would not pay. I am on my 3rd clutch which has now failed at 37400 mils.The first failed 3 days out side warranty with 28000 on the clock. At first Toyota refused to do anything about this BUT THANKS TO WHATCARS TEAM AND ARMED WITH THERE EVIDENCE OF A KNOW FAILURE PROBLEM they changed the clutch. The new one failed on starting at the dealeds and had to be replaced 7 days latter. So back to do battle once more get if fixed, then part ex it. Toyota the car in front probably on a low loader.

NEVILLE HILL, WIRRAL, November 20th 2007

GX 5dr

I owned a 2003 RAV4 D4-D GX and although it was a brilliant car, I was extremely annoyed at the shocking reliability. Firstly, the sunroof leaked, because Toyota had used the wrong type of seal. Secondly, with just 45,000 miles of gentle driving on the clock, I lost all power to the wheels. The clutch had broken and as it spun loose, it shattered the flywheel as well. My local garage agreed to fix it under warranty even though the car was four-and-a-half years old. I have heard of this happening to several people and the garage admitted to me that there was a problem with the diesel engine over-revving. Not very good for a Toyota!

Stuart Allister, November 8th 2007

GX 5dr

Excellant car for general use. Only problem encountered is a leaking sun roof which main dealer is unable to rectify. Therefore if you are looking for a car with a built in shower - buy a RAV4!

Michael Shipway, Kent, September 3rd 2006

D-4D GX 5dr

I purchased my RAV4 three months ago. It was a one-owner vehicle with 27,000 miles on the clock. I have driven VWs for the past 10 years, and thought that they would be hard to beat on build quality. Having put approximately 2000 miles per month on the clock since I purchased my RAV4, and having owned a wide variety of cars since 1964, I must admit that the RAV4 is the best vehicle I have driven. Not only is it a pleasure to drive, due to the torque of the diesel engine and the comfort of the well-designed seats, but I find it very cheap to run. My average combined fuel consumption is 45mpg, with a best of 58.6mpg on a long run. Insurance is also excellent, with a premium of only £162 for fully comprehensive cover. Everyone whom I have had as passengers have remarked on the comfort and soothness of the ride. Maybe it is best on the road, but I find that it copes very well on Forestry Commission roads, enabling me to escape the maddening crowds. In conclusion, I can only say that I wish I had bought a RAV4 sooner.

Allan Bailey, Stirlingshire, August 7th 2006

D-4D VX 5dr

I have had this car for 4 years now and put 49000 miles on it. I can honestly say it is the best car I have owned bar none. The driving position is excellent, the comfort is great on both long and short journeys, the practicality is great, with the rear seats out I moved a whole dining suite in one go! and with the seats in I can carry 4 golfers with their bags and trolleys. The support from the dealership has been outstanding (Loders Yeovil)and running costs are very reasonable, 44 mpg on a regular basis and better on long runs. I haven't yet driven the new model but if it only half as good as this one its a winner. To try to keep this balanced I will list some negatives, the back door is a bit of a pain but managable, tyres are expensive when they need replacing (but that will be the same for any similar vehicle).

Trevor Legg, Dorset, April 12th 2006

XT4 5dr

Actually its the XT-R 2.0 Petrol Automatic. An excellent purchase sums it up for me but in more detail I will say this is the best looking Compact SUV Smart & Sporty all rolled in to one. You shouldn’t be surprised of the inside once you’ve seen the outside, it will only comfortably seat two Adults in the back but the driving position is great and the drive itself is great fun & impressive. The 2.0L Japanese engine is typically rev happy but amazingly this car manages to perform as well as the 2.5 Nissan X-Trail and the 2.7 V6 Kia Sportage & Hyundai Tucson and the RAV4 does it with 2000cc showing how good this engine is. Finally the XT-R is terrific value for money.

RAESH MAMTORA, MIDDLESEX, March 2nd 2006

D-4D XT4 5dr

I really didn't like this car because it looks like a freak and is uncomfortable. I really didn't enjoy it at all - I give this car one out of ten.

Miriam Farid, January 21st 2006

XT3 3dr

The car is excellent and the aftersales service and dealer service costs have been very good. The only downside is the rear door, which does not fully open, and if you are parked on an incline, the door has a tendency to close on you.

malc kemp, derbyshire, September 20th 2005

D-4D XT3 3dr

This is my wife's car for shopping, kids to school etc. She loves it. Her previous car was a BMW 318SE which she had from new for 3 years, she just liked that car. She LOVES the Rav for it's versitility, handling, spec and driving position (she can actually park it!!). Would she have another BMW, ummm no, Rav, yes she has already chosen the colour of her next one.

Garry Exley, West Yorkshire, August 18th 2005

XT5 5dr

I have only test driven this car but it appears better than the Freelander I have now.

Carol Longthorne, West Yorkshire, August 17th 2005

D-4D XT4 5dr

I own the RAV4 gx 2ltr vvi petrol 5 door 03 model. I have done 22500mls with no problems. It is a super car to drive,very reliable. In the past few days I have test driven all the competitors and I have to say that the RAV4 is the best of the bunch.

andrew jarvis, aberdeenshire, August 13th 2005

NV 3dr

This is my first venture into the 4x4 market. I did all the relevant research and the RAV4 was time and again the recommended choice. I must say, I haven't been disappointed. It's fun to drive, great looking and extremely reliable. If I had to but another one, I would without hesitation.

Sean Prendergast, W Yorkshire, June 29th 2005

VX 5dr

It's comfortable on long drives and has very good visibility. It's also been very reliable. However, it has poor petrol consumption (26-28mpg) and a noisy cabin on motorways.

Gary R. Jones, surrey, June 15th 2005

D-4D XT3 5dr

This is a very reliable car with plenty of room up front. Accessories are plenty and are easy to use. It's very noisy in cabin on motorways or at speed. Fuel consumption is OK for being in permanent four-wheel drive. Plenty of room in the back until you put a child seat in. With a child seat fitted there is only really room for one adult and one small child or two children.Back door is awkward but you get used to it. All in all a nice car to drive and is comfortable on long runs apart from the noise in the cabin.

Stephen Gordon-Candy, June 10th 2005

GX 5dr

This has got to be one of the best cars I have ever driven Excellent all round!

joseph hewitt, June 10th 2005

XT3 3dr

I love this car so much that my next car will be a Rav4.

Jennifer Simpson, April 8th 2005