WhatCarAwards banner - desktop
sponsored

In association with MotorEasy

Least reliable luxury cars

Luxury cars feature the very latest technology, which is great – unless they go wrong, at which point it can make them very expensive to fix. So, here we reveal the most and least dependable...

Most and least reliable luxury cars - Audi A6

The least reliable luxury cars

3. BMW 5 Series diesel (2017-present)

BMW 5 Series 2021 front left cornering

Reliability rating 89.1%

With a fault rate of 31%, almost twice as many diesel 5 Series’ went wrong as petrol versions. This was due to a higher number of engine electrical faults adding to the bodywork issues and non-engine electrical issues that are prevalent in the petrol cars.

Whereas the cost of repairing all petrol cars was covered under warranty, for 27% of diesel cars, it was not, leaving owners with bills of more than £1500 in 3% of cases. However, things weren't all bad; just 3% of diesels broke down, compared with 25% of petrol 5 Series models.

Read our full BMW 5 Series review >>


2. Audi A6 (2018-present)

Audi A6 Saloon 2021 front right tracking

Reliability rating 85.3%

Problems with the electrical systems, bodywork, engine, or the infotainment system cropped up across 47% of A6s over the past year, and 37% of these faults were so severe that they took more than a week to rectify, with 7% of owners being charged between £201 and £300 for remedial work. However, the remaining 93% of repairs were covered by Audi.

Fortunately, just 4% of cars broke down completely, and that somewhat mitigates what could have been a shockingly low rating for the current A6.

Read our full Audi A6 review >>


1. Audi A6 (2011-2018)

Audi A6 Avant

Reliability rating 82.1%

You might be tempted by the previous-generation A6’s stylish looks and relatively low secondhand prices, but we’d advise caution when buying one. That’s because 40% went wrong over the past year, with 10% of those taking more than a week to put right.

Furthermore, 40% of owners had to pay for remedial work, with half of bills costing between £501 and £750. If you’ve got your heart set on a previous-generation A6, exercise due diligence first – our used review is a great starting point, detailing all the recall actions and areas of concern, as well as how you can get the most for your money.

Read our used Audi A6 (2011-2018) review >>


For all the latest reviews, advice and new car deals, sign up to the What Car? newsletter here

<< Previous | Next: Complete the 2022 What Car? Reliability Survey >>

Page 2 of 2